Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

What do you think?
The future and saviours of Rock & Roll? 76%  76%  [ 16 ]
Overated Shyte? 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:57 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Seems like a lot of trendy bands right now are hybrid copies of the Cure (vocally), Joy Division, and a couple of various 80s bands thrown in. It sounds good, and it's entertaining - just awfully derivative.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:58 am 
Waitrose Warrior

No way near as good as Joy Division - nobody of the Artic Monkeys trend can sing with such depth, intensity and power as Ian Curtis.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:17 am 
Hawleytastic!

I never even considered that the Arctics sound one jot like Joy Division...

Anyway, finally got round to listening to the album yesterday. It's alright, nowt special, and to be honest, a bit wearing after a while. It's about three songs too long. And some the songs need to be shorter and less heavy metal. What is all that guitar wanking about? Very unbecoming. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:31 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

Me neither in sheffield sandman it once said "alex turner has also been compared to Ian Curtis"....???? No! No! No!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:34 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

A fair bit of guitar wankery is all too true, they also seem to think there's no other way of playing a chord other than barring it. They'll learn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:44 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

At the moment they've written a handfull of cracking songs, although I'll admit the album has a few duffers on it. I've seen them live on 2 occasions and the improvement over a matter of 3 months was quite staggering, I think they'll keep on getting better. The wisdom learnt through touring will make them leaner. (It makes sense to me).

AND They sound nothing like Joy Division who were shite (If it wasn't for Hannet sprinkling fairy dust around Strawberry studios they'd have done nowt).

AND They sound even less like the Cure who were shite with eyeliner (apart from jumping someone else's train which is a masterpiece)

Bring on the backlash !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:20 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I was speaking more of bands like Interpol and Editors who have the dual lead guitars and I think Arctic Monkeys indeed have that squirrely Robert Smith vocal from time to time. I don't know what all of the hype is about. I like them, but they're not the shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:55 am 
Hawleytastic!

monkeywrench67 wrote:
I was speaking more of bands like Interpol and Editors who have the dual lead guitars and I think Arctic Monkeys indeed have that squirrely Robert Smith vocal from time to time. I don't know what all of the hype is about. I like them, but they're not the shit.

Ah well, Interpol ARE Joy Division with a dash of Iggy and Magazine. I reckon Bloc Party are probably the UK equivalent, but they have more of a yelpy Robert Smith sound, with a big slab of early PiL.

Editors are prime Echo & The Bunnymen and U2 before Eno & Lanois.

Futureheads are XTC and Wire with The Jam c.1979.

Not sure what all this post punk/new wave influence thing is about, because none of this current crop of bands are going anywhere with it, they just replicate.

I think I'll stick with my PiL, Magazine, Wire and Joy Division albums for now thanks.

And Gang Of Four were (mostly) shite first time round anyway!

So there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:28 am 
Original Hippy

simong wrote:
And Gang Of Four were (mostly) shite first time round anyway!

So there.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! :x
Entertainment is a great, great album!

Other than that, agree with your above post absolutely 100%.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:38 am 
Hawleytastic!

I Found That Essence rare is a great song, At Home He's A Tourist ain't bad either, but they just don't do it for me.

When Franz Ferdinand were all the rage, a mate sent me a load of Josef K who reminded him greatly of FF, but all I could hear was a big Velvets influence, and in turn Josef K's influence on the clangy jangle of the Wedding Present.

So does that make FF the Weddoes of the 21st century? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:51 am 
Original Hippy

simong wrote:
I Found That Essence rare is a great song, At Home He's A Tourist ain't bad either, but they just don't do it for me.

When Franz Ferdinand were all the rage, a mate sent me a load of Josef K who reminded him greatly of FF, but all I could hear was a big Velvets influence, and in turn Josef K's influence on the clangy jangle of the Wedding Present.

So does that make FF the Weddoes of the 21st century? :shock:

I think what we can certainly agree on is that this current wave of British guitar bands is EXTREMELY derivative of what has gone before. I have heard nothing remotely new from any of them.

Which is actually a very good thing when you consider what their influences very clearly are - they could have been listening to stuff which is a whole lot worse! If it encourages today's Indie Kids to have a listen to Wire, XTC, Gang of Four, Bunnymen etc etc then that is fine by me! :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6