Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298 ... 300  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:55 am 
Hawleytastic!

efsb wrote:
Billy Strings - Islington Assembly Hall, first night of two. Headed down to London and stayed in a hotel across the road from Pentonville Prison.
Bluegrass on steroids and probably one of the most talented guitar players on Planet Earth at this moment.

Not my video, but I'm in it occasionally:

Thought it was Angus Young in the third photo :D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:05 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Merry Hell/Ranagri - Biddulph Town Hall - this was one booked and promoted by yours truly and the BUIA team. Close to a full house and two cracking bands, although Toby the soundman, who hadn't been sent a tech spec, was forced into overdrive to deal with 2 bands and 12 musicians and a mix of instruments ranging from harp to electric guitar...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:30 pm 
Too much time on my hands

weller......28 songs...two hours on stage ..> Same age as me and I was knackered!! How does he do it? looking forward to Bedford, weller and Hawley and Durham Cathederal. :Hoorah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:45 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Lynne Hanson accompanied by Blair Michael Logan on twang at the Royal Oak in Eccleshall. The crowd of...sixteen... were treated to a fantastic performance. Shame on those who didn't bother.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:16 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Spent the weekend in the company of lovely people and excellent music at Bucks Uni in High Wycombe for the Ramblin' Roots Revue - organised in part by Tristan Tipping who has a senior post at the University - and who gets to play bass in several of the bands over this festival.
Highlights for me - Jeffrey Foucault and wife Kris Delmhorst (along with 13 year old daughter Hazel on wonderful harmonies), a surprise set from Pete Gow, The Hanging Stars (who are improving as a live act in leaps and bounds), the Clubhouse All-stars late night tribute to Bruce Springsteen and the live performance of the Heartworn Highways (Townes Van Zandt/Guy Clark/Steve Earle) film with a cast of fifteen musicians. Lady Nade was ace too and I'm looking to try and book her for Biddulph for next year.
A small sample of a couple of hundred photos that made the cut:
Heartworn Highways
Lady Nade
Holly Carter - AMA UK award winner on pedal steel
Jeffrey Foucault, Kris Delmhorst & daughter Hazel
Pete Gow & the Leo Horns
Curse of Lono
Jesse Dayton

Two days to do laundry and admin and then it's off to Kilkenny on Thursday for the legendary Roots festival and to meet up with loads more like-minded souls.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 9:20 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Kilkenny Roots Festival - it should have been the 25th, but due to COVID it was the 23rd - a few regular faces were absent, but it was very much a gathering of the European roots crowd and was a glorious, emotional weekend. There was a bit of drinking too... My highlights - the confident and sparky Margo Cilker - Joana Serrat's dream-pop, the rumbuctious TK & the Holy Know-Nothings and His Lordship, as well as the low down gritty blues/soul of Jake Xerxes Fussell.

Margo Cilker

Jake Xerxes Fussell

Joana Serrat

His Lordship

TK & the Holy Know Nothings

Danny George Wilson in the Set Theatre

Next up should have been The Mastersons but they pulled their UK visit very late on - so late I couldn't cancel my hotel in Scarborough -so a weekend in Scarborough it is before Dean Owens in Biddulph on Wednesday.

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 11:13 am 
Hawleytastic!

My next Biddulph promotion was Dean Owens, ably abetted by Jim Maving on guitar. "Sinners Shrine" is one of my current favourite albums, so it was a treat to hear the songs live - hopefully next year, Dean will be able to return with a fuller band.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 1:45 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Three gigs in four days - first one was a last minute call - as a Port Vale season ticket holder I got an email offering some GA tickets for the Robbie Williams Homecoming charity stadium show - as I was doing nothing on Saturday - and I could walk to the ground - I went for it. It was quite enjoyable - Mr Williams knows his place - he's a popular entertainer and his set reflected this. Quite emotional too as two of his earliest homes were within yards of the ground. The crowd was largely made up of locals and he came on for the encore in next season's PVFC home top. Everyone in the Potteries has a Robbie story - I first came across him aged 16, when I was at my then girlfriend's birthday party in the Sneyd Arms pub. I remember him wearing an oversize jacket and jumping around on the dancefloor exactly as he does on stage. Then there was the time that a girl in one of my English classes brought in his toenail in a jewelry box.. (he'd been playing five a side locally with some mates and had bust his nail and somehow the girl - Stacey - had gotten hold of it...) - in 2007 when my band played in the States we used a dep guitarist Scott Ralph - Scott ended up writing for Robbie...and in addition to all that I taught Robbie's nephew Freddy for GCSE English. It's a small musical world...

The day after was somewhat different - I went to see Canadian Suzie Ungerleider in Alstonfield - a tiny (but lovely) village in the Staffordshire Moorlands on the Staffs/Derbyshire border. The crowd was roughly 0.1% of the previous night, but Suzie's sharp wit and ear for melody and a clever lyric was enjoyable for a chilled Sunday night avoiding everything to do with so-called "royalty".

Monday off, then on Tuesday it was up to Manchester to see Joshua Hedley - a non-apologetic country singer who's been playing bars since the age of ten. His main instrument is fiddle, but he's a solid guitarist and has a wonderful tenor voice. Nicknamed "Mr Jukebox" from his ability to play pretty much anything from the pantheon of country music, his set was bookended by songs from his own two albums and in the middle he took shout-out requests from the audience. He played my call for Faron Young, so I was happy. I'll be catching him again later in the year when he plays the Take Root Festival in Groningen in the Netherlands.

..and to top it all, I got asked to be the official photographer at the Static Roots Festival in Germany in a month's time! (Obviously I said yes).

Next up for me I'm promoting the Magpie Arc in Biddulph on Friday. Still tickets available!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:52 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Fourth gig in a week - Magpie Arc at Biddulph Town Hall - my late friend Craig Pickering started to organise this gig in 2019 - it got cancelled and rearranged countless times, but I finally got it to take place in June 2022 - only the second ever live performance by the band, after their debut the night before in Doncaster. There was a considerable Sheffield contingent in the band...
Nancy Kerr
Tom A Wright
Alex Hunter
Martin Simpson
Findlay Napier

Last edited by efsb on Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:03 pm 
Hawleytastic!

That must have been a bittersweet occasion but marvellous that you could follow through your pal's plan. Great photos as usual, that f hole guitar of Martin Simpson's looks a thing of beauty.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:03 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Still embargoed on my Black Deer photos, but post-Black Deer I attended two incredible gigs in Oxford - both in churches and put on by Mike Trotman of Empty Rooms Promotions. The first was by the always wonderful Courtney Marie Andrews at SJ Arts - the Church of St John the Evangelist. Lots of new songs and a chat with CMA and the band after - Dom Billett and Jerry Bernhardt of her touring band are returning with Andrew Combs at the end of August and I've got them booked in Biddulph.

A couple of days in Oxford and then it was the UK debut of Sierra Ferrell at St Barnabas Church in Jericho, Oxford (Inspector Morse country). SF plays a mix of bluegrass, gypsy jazz and honky tonk country - she looks like Minnie Pearl and has the energy of Iggy Pop. Brilliant gig!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 9:39 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Went to Berlin - it was very hot indeed. Saw Daniel Romano's Outfit, with the newly-wed Mrs Romano - Carson McHone - as support and member of Oufit, Romano's band. Raw, in your face rock'n'roll. although there was a bit of concern amongst my British and German friends in attendance about the twitchiness and mild paranoia of some of those on stage...ahem...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:44 am 
Hawleytastic!

Black Deer Festival 2022 - Friday - scorchio - Saturday - humid and a site evacuation due to electrical storms - Sunday - very pleasant. In amongst all that weather I took lots of photos. Here are some of my favourites:
Lady Nade

Holly Carter

Drive-by Truckers

The Waterboys

Courtney Marie Andrews

London African Community Gospel Choir

Hiss Golden Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:53 pm 
Hawleytastic!

..and then Biddulph Up In Arms put on the UK debut solo gig by Virginia's Karen Jonas - we struggled to get numbers up on this, but it ended up reasonable - and all those who attended were hugely impressed - not the least with country guitar wonder Tim Bray.

Next up I'm promoting a gig by Canadian Evangeline Gentle and Rutland's Paul McClure in Biddulph on Wednesday, then flying off to Dusseldorf to photograph the Static Roots Festival.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:45 am 
Hawleytastic!

I've loved Evangeline Gentle's debut album since I reviewed it in 2019, so when I got wind that she was coming over to play the Maverick festival in Suffolk (and Static Roots in Oberhausen Germany) I messaged her on Instagram to see if she wanted a gig inbetween - she said yes - and this was it - also on the bill was the ever entertaining Paul McClure...and now I'm off to Germany for the second time in a fortnight and I'll be seeing Evangeline and her guitarist (also named Nick) again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 292, 293, 294, 295, 296, 297, 298 ... 300  Next