Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136 ... 143  Next
 Post subject: Re: Insomniac's Corner.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 2:50 pm 
Hawleytastic!

After years of trying my best not to bother with cards, I am sending this one:

Have done charity cards for the last few years but, after researching what they actually make per card, I'm just sending out something that makes me laugh and donating to MSF (Doctors Without Borders, brilliant organisation treating the ill and wounded no matter what the politics or religion – have also given to them from my wage packet for the last twenty years and the treasury has to give them the tax – look them up on Just Giving and give them a go) and London's Air Ambulance (who got my best friend to hospital eight minutes after he was knocked off his bike by a lorry. Although things didn't work out for him, maybe if I help them when I can it will save some other family going through the horror).

Now, where do I get rabbits and a fox-proof hutch for my two's Xmas? xxxxxx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:04 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

I usually sit & write my cards with such incredible bad grace it's a wonder the recipients can't read, between the ''Merry Christmas & Best Wishes'' lines, ''I'd rather be doing anything else other than this'' and then it costs a fortune to post them. :oops: And to add insult to injury you get cards back covered in glitter, which sticks to the carpet until the following October, no matter how hard you hoover it. Might use my late uncle Pete's excuse, which served him well for thirty years or more ''I wrote the cards & then left them in the glove compartment in the car and I've only just found them..... :)

Rabbits? Countryside's full of the little buggers, how many do you want? :wink: And the savings on the postage stamps would buy some decent wood for the hutch :albino:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:13 am 
Hawleytastic!

I need a hutch that the foxes can't get into and eat them. The fox got our last bunny and it was carnage. Boys want a dog really but my other half said he'll leave me if I get one... x

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 12:08 pm 
The Boss

Dearest Helen

From vast experience small fury cute animals are lovely.....but a pain in the arse.....you will end up being the one who cleans the cage,feeds it....you will end up nagging the kids to do it but they won't.....and you will end up hating it.....a dog completes a circle in a family I have found.....you excercise more and you spend more time together in and out of the house.....you can't walk a rabbit,a hamster or a fish....you just stare at them....in their cages.....it's grim.....get a dog.....although if your man is going to leave you if you do maybe pet free is the best option.....we love our beasties.....we all walk with or without each other,all situations are good,they come to the pub with me and the cafe.....but you need to be able to give them your time

Best wishes

R

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:26 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Hey H, we've done the whole dog/rabbit debate in our house. My position firstly is, if we're going to have a pet, I might as well have another baby. But, seems 48 came knocking at my door last week, this seems biologically unlikely. So, if we're going to have a pet, I'd have a dog. Not because I particularly love dogs but because the boys want one and they would love it and care for it, and I would like walking it, a bit of brain space in an otherwise rushy-about world.

But the old man used to have a dog – in fact, his dad has loads of greyhounds, which are lovely pets – but it's made him so over the dog thing. So the compromise is rabbits, as cats are an acquired taste and anything smaller than a rabbit is too rodent-like for me.

We did have a rabbit, which was killed by a fox, and I did have to shovel the shit and feed her, and she was a pain in the arse, and I did end up nagging the kids and, as the song says, you can't take a fish for a walk... but I'm stuck with the rabbit, in fact rabbits, so I just have to make the most of it. Unless himself relents. Or gives me another baby. Or wins the lottery. The odds on all three are about the same.xx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:14 am 

Don't entirely rule out the baby. My 50 year old cousin is having twins....... :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:04 am 
Hawleytastic!

Jeez Lofty, good on her!!!! I know lots of women who've had a late splurge and it's fine. Wish her all the luck from me. xxx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:24 pm 
The Boss

Fuck me.....actually don't....there might be triplets :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:39 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Lofty, my best friend, who is the same age as me, has two daughters, 23 and 21. About two years ago, when she was 45 pushing 46, she's at my house for a cuppa, pulls out her phone and shows me a picture of a positive pregnancy test.

I says: "Fuck, which one is it?" To which she says, not without a slight look of fear: "No, not them. Me!"

Here we are, two years later, a very lovely wee toddler we have a running around, cutesy and beautiful, the apple of all us broody old ladies' eyes, and my boys who are besotted, whose sisters are more than 22 and 20 years older than her!

That's a cautionary tale for any of you lot who thought you might be over the hill... That one pint too many, coming home with a wee twinkle in your eye.

Us late developers have a lot to answer for... I am sure your cousin's lovely lot will be much longed for and loved. xxx

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:56 pm 
Hawleytastic!

My sister had a "late" surprise with her 3rd child when she was nearly 47. Her kids today are aged 8, 22 and 36. She wanted them all close together! :D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:10 am 
I need a life

helenwatson wrote:
late splurge

:*: :*: :*: that'll be what did it ..>

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:12 am 

My cousin has three already. 18, 14 & 4 (something like that). And a partner who's 30! :safe:

Also just heard that the little girl I used play with as a child is to be a grandma next year. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:46 pm 
Hawley Groupie

How I would love another baby. But 54, and as likely as getting pregnant as winning the lottery. I'm waiting for grand children instead.

Helen, find a neighbour that has a dog! I take the dog nextdoor out a couple of times a day. Started off a couple of times a week. But, bless her, I could hear her crying for her dad. He has had to go back to work, as his kids cleaned him out.

I love it, she knows the way. She tricked me on the first walk. I thought we would just walk round the block. Got home 3 and half hours later. Nice one Icea. Cheeky girl. She walks at a hundred miles an hour. I say, slow down a bit, she does for for 3 seconds, then off we go again.

Its blooming brilliant, wellies loads of layers of clothing. I was roasting in 2.9 temperatures.

I've never had a dog, or known a dog. (I have a lovely ginger tom cat, I love) but the walking thing is really something. Enjoyed myself no end. Plus in the woods, or quiet roads, have a chat, tell them what you are worried about. Icea has beautiful kind understanding eyes. Did us both power of good. I might not be her beloved dad, but I made a reasonable walking companion. (thats what she said, in my head)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:14 am 
Hawleytastic!

That's lovely Lynne. I sometimes look after my nephew's dog and I do like walking him. Find it clears your head. And my head does need clearing a lot. xx

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:39 am 
Hawley Groupie

helenwatson wrote:
That's lovely Lynne. I sometimes look after my nephew's dog and I do like walking him. Find it clears your head. And my head does need clearing a lot. xx

Oh dear yes, my head is buzzing, or empty. Either way I just look vacant most of the time. My laptop, decided I wasn't allowed on this website. It's taken 5 turning off, and turning back on agains. Why does it do that?

The best thing happened on Thursday, Icea came to me when I called her. First time I had let her off her lead. Her dad had said be very careful, (like me) she is easily distracted, trees, birds, the wind, anything really. It was my birthday too, what a present. I was so chuffed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136 ... 143  Next