Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Itchy feet...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:39 am 
Hawleytastic!

and it's not athlete's foot. About twice a year, usually in the spring and autumn, I start to get itchy feet, the desire to chuck it all in and do something impetuous, usually involving leaving my job, moving house, living in a shed by the sea. My other half, who is exactly the opposite, homeboy, likes life as it is, just grits his teeth until the urge passes, sometimes throwing in a concession to make it go away quicker, like getting a campervan or indulging me with days out at the seaside, nodding and throwing in a "That's nice, love" every now and again to pretend he's listening.

Then life catches up with me, doing the school run, trudging to work on the Tube, cooking, cleaning, shopping, ironing, mum's taxi. And the nights are drawing in and it's getting dark and cool and then it's Christmas. And I forget about it all, til the light nights are here, and it all starts again...

Do other people have an itch? And what do you do to scratch it? And no, Monkey Boy, this is not where you talk about excessive hair giving you a rash or crabs. Or creams to stop them. Or any other generalised filth. Just thought it might be a bit of fun... the talking, not the crabs. x

Post subject: Re: Itchy feet...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:13 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Not keen on the shorter days - Winter with longer hours of daylight would be nice.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:36 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I get it all the time....but it increases when I'm stuck at work and bogged down with paperwork and the day to day crap. That's mainly why I organise the school foreign exchange visits...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:14 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Have to say I don't get that itch at all. I'm ridiculously content just being around home & in the garage.
I could quite fancy a run up to Coniston on the bike next month, when I've got a week off work. Probably only for a couple of nights though, if I go at all. Just to say hello to the old place & to enjoy the journeys.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:05 am 
Hawleytastic!

I get it all the time, this year I packed in a well paid job to go travelling around Asia, and I am 50 years old! I used to sit at my computer at work daydreaming of where to go and thought this is it I am off.
Regretting it a bit now as I struggle to get back on the work ladder, but hey ho I have enjoyed my time and have experiences and memories that will stay with me.

This is your play time, make sure you do things you want to everyday.
..>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:11 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I always fancied being a tour manager or a truck driver for a band as a youth - the reality though is I am quite a home bird.

Also I don't have the staying power when I followed Ian Hunter with Mott the Hoople for a few dates over a week last year I missed the Sunday Manchester gig as I had just come back home from the Saturday Newcastle show had a few beers went for a short kip then woke up about four hours later - 5 minutes before curtain up...I had a couple more cans and went back to bed...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:14 pm 
Hawleytastic!

loftyeric2 wrote:
Have to say I don't get that itch at all. I'm ridiculously content just being around home & in the garage.
I could quite fancy a run up to Coniston on the bike next month, when I've got a week off work. Probably only for a couple of nights though, if I go at all. Just to say hello to the old place & to enjoy the journeys.

Maybe a shed is the key to contentment. x

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:09 pm 
The Boss

I get the urge to sit on a British beach and just stare out to sea almost daily there's nowt wrong with that......is there?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:55 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Nope. You see, my idea – combining the dark mystery of the shed, and the vast possibilities of the sea – is a pure winner. In fact, this one would do...

http://www.uniquehomestays.com/unique/d ... sp?id=640#

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:39 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Helen that looks fantastic! I LOVE IT!!! But it is sooooooo expensive....... Out of my league. I often want to do something different. Escape. I could be a hermit - well for some of the time. Being by the sea or by mountains refreshes my soul. That is why I go to Whitby and the Lake District several times a year. There is something magical about the sea when it is dark and stormy (as long as I am on the beach and not in a boat!) and sitting at the top of a mountain watching the clouds and listening to silence revitalises me. I wish I could be content like Lofty but I usually dream of being somewhere else.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:59 pm 
Hawleytastic!

It's mad money!!! Way out of my league too and no room for all of us. And nowt wrong with dreaming. Xxxx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:31 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Funnily enough I get athletes foot twice a year.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:44 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Richard Hawley wrote:
I get the urge to sit on a British beach and just stare out to sea almost daily there's nowt wrong with that......is there?

Nope, deffo not, my favourite would be somewhere in Cornwall, (on and off for over 20 years) or (having holidayed most recently), North Wales.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:57 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

I love that posh beach hut ..> Now, if I could just have that next to my garage..... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:03 am 
Hawleytastic!

Lofty, I am planning on a big lottery win (our syndicate won £3.20 last week so we're on a roll, I reckon) – I'll get it for you. x