Beatles or Stones!!
The Beatles 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
The Rolling Stones 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
Like 'em both 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
Both Crap, I'm a modernist!! 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 14
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:54 pm 
Who'd win a bare knuckled drunken brawl...place your bets!!

Hawley V Cocker
Johnny Cash V Willie Nelson
Chuck Berry V Jerry Lee Lewis
Shane McGowen V John Lydon.........

People would pay good money!!! :Box

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:31 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Feckle wrote:
Who'd win a bare knuckled drunken brawl...place your bets!!

Hawley V Cocker
Johnny Cash V Willie Nelson
Chuck Berry V Jerry Lee Lewis
Shane McGowen V John Lydon.........

People would pay good money!!! :Box

Everyone on the left would get my vote, :TAZ :WEIGHTS :TROUT :Box :YELL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:25 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Jerry Lee Lewis would kick Chuck Berry's arse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 8:25 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Come to think of it, JERRY LEWIS would kick Chuck Berry's arse!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:13 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Longpig wrote:
cuz I didn't think they were needed, cuz how can the beatles and the stones not be inventive?!?!?!?! They pretty much started it all!

Which reminds me: is Dave Bowie's version of 'Let's Spend the Night Together' as bad as his toe-curling 'Across the Universe'?

Is either of them as bad as G'n'R's 'Live and Let Die'?
At least G'n'R didn't do the worst-ever version of that song.

Quote:
The kinks are underrated in that era though. They were better than them both!! :wink:

LP :Oink:

I got a couple of Kinks albums for my birthday recently. I was a touch disappointed. :( But I still love their singles.
The other problem with the Kinks is that they kept going far too long. Rather like the Stones, or the Who or my second favourite "sixties" band, the Beach Boys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 9:52 pm 
Vicar of this parish

Richard Hawley wrote:
i wouldnt put it that strongly however both bands were hugely inventive i think that a lot of there inventiveness has been absorbed as the norm now so maybe that could explain your incorrect oppinion LP?

I like the Byrds a lot too,that whole era was very creative and i love a lot of stuff from that time.

My gran had all the Beatles albums and I could not get into their stuff at all. Nor the stones, nor my Dad's Slim Whitman albums from that era, but the Byrds, yes, bloody amazing, all sorts of magical stuff, buy the greatest hits album. And for a bluesy guitar thrash, any early Rory Gallagher/ Taste stuff.
8) Which one of the Byrds wore them funny Benjamin Franklin glasses? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:14 am 
Hawleytastic!

Extreme Rice wrote:
Longpig wrote:
cuz I didn't think they were needed, cuz how can the beatles and the stones not be inventive?!?!?!?! They pretty much started it all!

Which reminds me: is Dave Bowie's version of 'Let's Spend the Night Together' as bad as his toe-curling 'Across the Universe'?

Grrrrrrr wanker grrrrrrrrrrr! *!

Bowie's version of LSTNT is much better than the stones lame, plodding version, but I guess it's all down to taste... Oh and his all across the universe (which Lennon played on) was regarded the best version ever recorded by John, his opinion must be worth something.

Again if you don't like lively music then you're not gonna like GnR either, so whatever song you pick you're gonna hate it, but I'll pick most peoples version of Paul's/wings song over the original. GnR's versions of Knockin' on heaven's door and live and let die were raved about when they were released, and I think they're still great.

You obviously have very different tastes (or you don't like much energy in your music).

LP :Oink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 12:01 am 
Too much time on my hands

Longpig wrote:
Extreme Rice wrote:
Longpig wrote:

Grrrrrrr wanker grrrrrrrrrrr! *!

Bowie's version of LSTNT is much better than the stones lame, plodding version, but I guess it's all down to taste... Oh and his all across the

That part at least was an honest question!
I'm sure I must have heard Bowie's version at some point, because Aladdin Sane is one of my dad's favourite albums. I just couldn't call it to mind.
Quote:
universe (which Lennon played on) was regarded the best version ever recorded by John, his opinion must be worth something.

Unless he just said that because Paul wasn't on it. :P
I don't think the Beatles ever made a satisfactory recording of the song either. In fact i'm not really sure if anyone has. I'm not even sure it's as good a song as it's cracked up to be.
But as I think I've said before, I don't like many of Bowie's cover versions at all, because they always seem to come across (pun not intended) as very actorly. This works well with a certain type of material , such as 'Wild Is The Wind' or 'I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday' but completely fails with other songs, and I'd count 'Across the Universe' among the latter.
I like him much better when he's doing his own songs really.

Quote:
Again if you don't like lively music then you're not gonna like GnR either,

I don't like them actually, but not for that reason.
In fact G'n'R never struck me as especially lively anyway - they were loud sure, but they were always too heavy to be sprightly, if you see what I mean. Mainly, though, I just don't like Axl's voice.
Quote:
so whatever song you pick you're gonna hate it, but I'll pick most peoples version of Paul's/wings song over the original. GnR's versions of Knockin' on heaven's door and live and let die were raved about when they were released, and I think they're still great.

I've actually thought a bit harder about their 'Live and Let Die'. On reflection, I don't think it was actually that bad a version: but whenever I think of it, I'm always reminded of Axl Rose bounding about the stage on a kilt. I was made to watch that at school, which was even worse.

In any case, there is an infinitely worse version of that song, which is why I brought it up in the first place. It is of course the version by James Last and his orchestra, which I forced my dad to listen to a couple of weeks back. It's almost as bad as the version of 'Theme from Shaft' on the same album. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:30 am 
I'd probably go for the Stones, merely as a mark of respect that Keef still manages to qualify as being alive after all these years of abusing his body with any illegal substance known to man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:00 am 
Scandinavia's biggest house husband

If I'd have to choose I'd also go for the Stones. But that's pretty much only because of Sympathy For The Devil.

That is top-shit electrifying devil-boogie! :twisted: :twisted: