Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:46 pm 
Too much time on my hands

I love my cat Hawley (guess who he's named after) he's a pain in the arse at 5 am when he's knocking stuff off my dressing table to wake me up or wolfing down his food so fast he immediately throws it back up again all over the rug I've just cleaned or pissing in the dogs bed (why the hell does he do that?) but I wouldn't be without him and I dread the day he expires, to me a house just isn't a home without a cat......

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:54 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

In the midst of my bereavement, I promised to myself that I would never have another cat after my first one died; she had a great dislike for any other animal of her kind, and it looked like defiling her memory. But, well, when a cat knocks on one's door, what else can a body do but letting him in?

P.S. I've got two cats, 15 and 16 years old, more or less, sons of the same mother and, apparently, of the same father too. One of them is blind and deaf, but he seems to be very happy. Just touch him with one finger and he will purr. As to the other one, touch him with one finger and he'll try to bite it. Lovely ones.

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:32 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Aw Sarah - sorry about your cat - and sorry I am offering condolences so late! It's awful when a pet has to be put down or dies. Hope you are getting on OK.

Poppy Dog, you made me howl too .... Shadow is getting on a bit now - 12, but still happy.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:03 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Thanks you guys. ..>

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:27 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Just in case someone can help: a friend of mine had two cats until three days ago, when one of them died (she was 16 years old). And now my friend's very worried about the other cat: he won't come out from under the bed, not even to eat. My friend's sure the cat hasn't eaten anything since the other died (not too sure about his having drunk, which should be more important). The cat doesn't even use his sawdust box any more: he just crosses the room when there's no one around, pees in a corner under the table, and hides again. My friend's thinking of taking it to the vet as soon as they open on Monday, if he doesn't improve during the weekend, but we were wondering whether something can be done to cheer the cat up. Or whether we should just cram some food inside him somehow. Has anyone here gone through something like this? Both my friend and I have always had cats, but it's the first time we have two (each) at the same time, so we had never encountered this 'mourning' before, so we don't know what to do. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:33 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

i have used this before.. http://www.feliway.com/es

or

try using catnip around the house, dont make a fuss, in time he will re adjust.

sometimes a trip to the vet may make matters worse but may be necessary if you're sure he's not eating or drinking.

i'm no expert, just a cat owner.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:12 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Thanks a lot for your help! Of course, the main problem is that the cat's not eating (they've counted the pieces of dry food in his bowl, and they remain the same, and his wet food is clearly untouched). Had he taken to destroying the upholstery, it wouldn't have been too bad, but he hasn't eaten since last Wednesday (they haven't been able to ascertain for sure whether he's drunk anything). I'm going to call my friend right now to tell him about the catnip and that Feliway (luckily, they sell it very near from here).

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:36 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Just for the records, my friend took his cat to the vet first thing yesterday morning. He was fed (the cat, not my friend) some kind of saline solution to make up for all he hadn't eaten in the last days, and he was also given one or two pills (not sure what for) and a tranquillizer. He was rather apathetic the whole day, but at dinner time he ate his usual dry food; not much, but it's a very good sign that things are on the mend. :D