Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: BBC to cut local radio
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:04 pm 
Hawleytastic!

The BBC plans to cut much of its local radio output, replacing all but breakfast and drivetime shows with national shows.

Local radio is the best of BBCs radio output – I for one would miss proper, interesting broadcasters like Robert Elms and Jazzie B on Radio London, and the commentators reporting on local sports are second to none.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/ma ... ocal-radio

Just part of the onslaught against local jobs and services by these Con Dem bastards – and presumably, if there's no local radio, nobody will notice the huge amount of local cuts destroying our local communities. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:35 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Thank you for posting this Helen.

I cannot fucking well believe it. I was just thinking about what a wonderful medium radio is. The best thing we've got. Local radio is superb. BBC London is brilliant. What we don't need is for radio to become homogenous (if that's the word I'm looking for). National radio is all well and good but you've gotta put some focus on local music and local events. It's really important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

RP wrote:
Thank you for posting this Helen.

I cannot fucking well believe it. I was just thinking about what a wonderful medium radio is. The best thing we've got. Local radio is superb. BBC London is brilliant. What we don't need is for radio to become homogenous (if that's the word I'm looking for). National radio is all well and good but you've gotta put some focus on local music and local events. It's really important.

I quite agree. Local radio is all about community and local information. National radio can't compare with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:52 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Quote:
The BBC plans to cut much of its local radio output, replacing all but breakfast and drivetime shows with national shows.

WHAT ????? bloody outrageous :twisted: :evil:

I love my Vanessa, Robert Elms and Danny Baker on the radio (well, bless him he's not been on much recently but you get my drift !!) why don't they cut the budget for BBC3 - the only good thing thats ever been on was gavin and stacey and being human - and divert the funds to the local stations? they'd rather churn out cheap crap programmes like snog, marry, avoid than fund quality radio.. our airwaves will be filled with bland presenters who don't give a stuff about music and just play the top 40 ... woe is me. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:45 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Think that they've learned a little from the campaign to save 6 Music and are playing their cards a bit close to their chest. I too am a Radio London junkie and would be devastated if they filled it full of national stuff. I hadn't even heard of Richard Hawley until I listened to a slot on Robert Elms and, compared to most of the souls on here, it was a pretty recent thing.
My friend has a joke where he says he likes all types of music, from country right through to western. And that is me – I like soul, funk and jazz and variations of those things. I know some people don't like him, but Robert Elms plays some good stuff and has really good people on for live sessions which have made me question my musical one track mind. Stuff I would never have bothered with – like some pseudo teddy boy from up north – has suddenly become quite important to me. God help me for saying this, I even bought a country and western album, Dave Rawlings Machine, on the strength of a live session they did on Radio London. I think all this is really sinister stuff and masks the politics behind a veneer of saving money. We should all keep on our toes to make sure they don't slip it under the radar. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:08 pm 
Hawleytastic!

helenwatson wrote:
God help me for saying this, I even bought a country and western album, Dave Rawlings Machine, on the strength of a live session they did on Radio London.

That's what good radio is all about - and the 'links' section on this MB ..>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:57 am 
The Boss

AAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:00 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Think it's just an early stage proposal rather than a plan at the moment isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:04 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Well, don't know. BBC is keeping very tight lipped on the proposal/plan, probably because there was such a storm over the 6 Music thing. Journalists' union says it could cost 700 jobs and BBC exec in charge of local output is saying staff "should be realistic" about what cuts will mean. Well, there's nothing like the prospect of losing your job and not being able to pay your mortgage to help keep things "real".
I think the BBC is testing the water to see how much opposition it gets before it introduces its plans. The whole forests things shows that if we don't want something, it's in our hands to stop it. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:35 pm 
Hawleytastic!

A 20 per cent cut in local radio services, 25 per cent on Radio London. Robert Elms, Danny Baker and Jazzie B jobs under threat. BBC intend to homogenise all radio in the south east in the afternoons, making some bland, shite, blob of mediocre crap to pump out, all in the name of saving money. Cultural vandalism. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:39 pm 
Hawleytastic!

You can give them shit on
http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctrust/index.shtml

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:46 pm 
Secretly Canadian

They've been trialling 'shared' coverage here, it's awful. Completely defeats the object of local radio!

Scrap BBC 3 & 4, incorporate the original programming and music coverage into BBC 2 (at the expense of the likes of strictly extra aftershow live backstage dancing bollocks and the like).

Scrap BBC Parliament, let Parliament fund a Parliament TV.

Scrap 'celebrity' hosted chat shows that come with multi-million pound price tags. If you have a reasonably competent interview and suitably interesting guests that draw attention people will watch anyway, for a fraction of the cost.

Ditto Radios 1 & 2, employ people to play good records, not be paid millions to talk shite and slavishly follow play lists full of crap.

"you ain't afraid of no alleyway when you are the thing in the dark"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:41 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

:twisted: God that's depressing. Is there a petition anywhere online yet? There must be a way to make ourselves heard. This is so short-sighted it beggars belief. I think you're right that there's a 'consultation' period but we should use that to SHOUT as loud as possible and hope that, like with 6 Music, the BBC listens.

Once these things have gone they're impossible to rebuild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:46 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

http://consultations.external.bbc.co.uk/bbc/dqf/

I've just found this online. I'm going to tell them what I think RIGHT NOW.