Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:53 am 
Hawleytastic!

Please add my condolences to the list Steve. Your opening words were lovely and would make any mum proud. Your last post was, as ever balanced and sensible, despite your sadness. Love and hugs x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:05 am 
So sorry love . You sound at peace and said such simple but beautiful words XXX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:52 am 
Hawleytastic!

Eight months on from my Mum's funeral I have recently got around to putting a collection of things e.g. newspaper announcements, funeral service cards, photos of floral tributes etc connected to her death/funeral into a folder as a keepsake.

I also included the "with Sympathy" cards we received and a paper copy of the "messages" received via the interent including the ones on this Forum.

I left the folder with my old Dad last week and when I saw him yesterday he told me he had read through the all the messages. He added "People are very kind and have written some lovely words - they brought a tear to my eye".

Just thought I'd share that with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:54 pm 
Gentleman of floral persuasion

Longpigsdad wrote:

Glad you did Steve.
I re-read the whole thread after reading this post...........and couldn't hold back a little weep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:57 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Little Dickie wrote:
Longpigsdad wrote:

Glad you did Steve.
I re-read the whole thread after reading this post...........and couldn't hold back a little weep.

Having cared for my Mum for over 2 years or so my Dad was so strong during her last horrific 4 months when he struggled so valiantly to care for her before it all got too much and she went in to care/hospital. His strength held out right up until just after her funeral and then he fell ill, exhausted and depressed (as you might expect). It was a grim time.
Within a month or so - with some family support - he has turned things around and although lonely at night he has filled his life with projects like clearing out the house/attic and decorating his bungalow. More importantly he and I meet regularly for lunch - we are trying out the pub/restaurants around Derbyshire! - and we have talked more in the last 8 months than probably the past 30 years.
Things have improved considerably and even if our loss is still raw, the kind words of people - especially on this Forum - are incredibly heart-warming.
LPD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:30 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I know what you are saying LPD. When my mum had her stroke, I was at work, sixty miles away from them. My phone rang and I saw their number and I knew it must be bad news – they'd never do a new-fangled thing like phone a mobile! When I answered, my dad was just sobbing, a horrible thing because no matter how old they are, they're always your daddy and you always think they'll be big and strong and cope with everything. I'm so grateful that, forever how long it lasts, my dad has my mum back for a while because, although we have all got to go, I wouldn't have wanted that for him.
Your dad should be proud of himself for pulling himself round – I didn't know your mum but I'm sure she wouldn't have wanted him to be miserable, I know my mum wouldn't have wanted my dad to spend his life hurting.
I think this is all part of the scheme of life – I'm the youngest of four and, at 45, have gone from being the baby to being the grown up and it's so hard.
I was really moved when you posted about your mum and to know that your dad has taken heart from what people have said is lovely. I have two sons and I would be proud if their attitude was as beautiful as yours when the time comes for them. Much love. xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:06 am 
Hawleytastic!

Sadly my Mother-in-Law never really got over the loss of her Husband, he had dementia and she struggled to look after him at home. He went into temporary respite in a care home so she could have a short family visit, but he never went home again as he ended up in hospital with his condition much worse. I think she felt guilty over that. She was still great with her close family but gradually cut herself off from her friends.

She died in April and when her ashes were interred at the local cemetery at the precise moment her ashes were put along side her Husband's there was a loud cheer, from the Cricket Club as their ground is next to the cemetary. It was almost as if she was glad to be reunited with him, a very strange moment when we didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Post subject: Mums
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:56 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Lots of love to you and your dear dad LPD - sounds like you are really supporting each other through this sad time and gaining strength from each other. Oh and aren't there some lovely people on this forum! x

Post subject: Re: Mums
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:08 am 
Hawleytastic!

Marie Happe wrote:
Lots of love to you and your dear dad LPD - sounds like you are really supporting each other through this sad time and gaining strength from each other. Oh and aren't there some lovely people on this forum! x

There certainly are some lovely people on the Forum Marie. Even when there are heated discussions on politics/music etc when it comes down to the things that really matter - people and family - there is always a "pulling together" and a lot of love on here. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:28 am 
Hawleytastic!

True.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:38 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

..>

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:53 pm 

Haven't been to the Moon, but feel like I've been to Hell and back - my lovely, beautiful, elegant, funny, kind mother in law who was so fit and healthy and looked much younger than her 74 yrs, was taken suddenly ill about 5 weeks ago, kept falling, my father in law couldn't help as much as he would have liked as he has Parkinsons so the family did their bit every day. She had no strength in arms, unable to walk properly, leaning over to one side - Docs treated her for severe anxiety, but she knew it wasn't and so did we, but we all got hooked into it - being guided by the professionals! Anyway, ambulance called one night after a fall - took her to A&E - they sent her home saying 'nothing physically wrong' - Docs 'upped' the anti-anxiety pills - she even saw a private neurologist she was so worried but he told her nothing wrong too.....anyway, eventually after much persuasion by my O.H. Docs agree she has to go to hospital and put her in a psychiatric ward where, I have to say, even though she shouldn't have been there, she was treated with such wonderful, loving care by very special people and it was the consultant there, who in her wisdom, decided to do a brain scan ....and....well, the rest is crap - she has a tumour which is inoperable and untreatable and has been given a few months now. Through it all she has been so, so very brave and dignified in very undignified circumstances. She has a loving, caring family much to her credit who have looked after her, made endless phone calls, got care in place, cooked for her, laughed with her and cried with her. We are all so shocked, but have decided that we have to pull together now and make this time the nicest it can be for her. Anyway, it's just like being in some sort of horror movie,we are all walking around with a great big ache in our hearts...... but I suppose I just wanted to say..... cherish the people you love every day... because... you never know...... xx

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:00 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

So sorry to hear about this Marie and quite horrified by your story of what seems to be all too common these days, older patients' symptoms not being taken as seriously as they should be. Take care each other x

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:24 pm 

Thanks Lofty, sadly seems to be the case these days - and when the Neuro-Oncologist gave us the prognosis she said 'NICE' guidelines state that if you are over the age of 70 no Chemotherapy is on offer now! Not that it would have helped my mum in law anyway, but 70? FFS that is NOT old!

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:26 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Thinking of you Marie.

Jx

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next