Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The coalition
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:58 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I know there's been quite a few threads on different aspects of the coalition and the current economic climate, but I was hoping to start a thread on how the cuts, proposed or otherwise, are affecting or will affect people and share opinions on plans for the NHS, selling the forests etc,. We all read about the doom and gloom every day, I thought if we shared some of our own stories and day to day life we might find that although Cam's spin about being "in this together" is bollocks, "normal" folk can find a bit of solidarity and support and lean on each other during tough times like this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:20 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Last edited by butchersdog on Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:52 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I feel for you and the situation you’re in. I’m a bit older than you and a bit further down the line but I know what it’s like not to have a pot to piss in.
I’m and union rep and I do some volunteering for an advice centre so forgive me if in the first instance if I try to give some practical advice.
Firstly, it’s great that you and your partner have found each other and you’re going to step up where her ex didn’t. But, for all intents and purposes, she’s a single parent and there are some great organisations that can help.
Gingerbread have a great website and have recently launched a money advice section and have all the gen about benefits and stuff you are able to claim if you have kids.
http://www.gingerbread.org.uk
Also, the TUC has some good advice about working and your rights if you have kids.
http://www.tuc.org.uk/tuc/rights_main.cfm
It’s called WorkSmart and it provides downloadable PDF advice sheets as are do Gingerbread.
As a general comment on your post, the thing is about the coalition is that they are c**ts, privileged, born into money, educated to rule the world, nasty c**ts.. They get all the best jobs, get paid the most money, get all the best housing and education. And it oozes out of their every pore, skews the way they look at the world and influences every decision they make. They don’t understand what its like to have no money, or fear for your future – they have the confidence of the master race, why give a fuck about your concerns?
Lastly, my dad married my mum when he was 22. She was a divorcee and had a 3 year old daughter – her husband was a violent man and she had the courage to leave him, even though it was in the early 50s and you didn’t really do that sort of thing. My dad adopted my sister at the age of 22 and went on to have three more kids with my mum. There was never a difference between us – he loves us all the same and we all know it.
I have always set my sights high when it comes to partners and I know it's because of the example set by my dad. He took responsibility at an age when some would have walked away and surrounded us with love, all of us. My parents have been married 53 years and they are still going strong.
Whatever happens with you and your partner, you will have set a high standard for her kids, someone who cares for their mum and took responsibility when others didn't. And they will love you back for it.
Take care and I hope things work out. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:07 pm 
Hawleytastic!

well said there helen, love is all.

as for the coalition, i was debating with my gal the difference between the right and left positions about the state (restrictive or beneficial) and after a while she replied

"stop trying to understand a political principle, they don't have any they're just a bunch of twats"

that was me told then.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:53 pm 
The Boss

your dear lady wife is most correct mr Nidle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 7:36 pm 
Too much time on my hands

I have to try and teach economics to sixth form - it's very very difficult to not be too political - particularly since their MP is the uber twat himself!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:00 pm 
Hawleytastic!

A lot of governments are under scrutiny, Tunisia, Egypt, this new world order shit is starting to kick in.

Our Muslim friends have a lot of courage protesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:49 am 

I think we have to believe we can change things if we all stick together. In the words of the noble Philosopher Frank Gallagher 'this is our England!' If we don't have that fundamental principle not only will we be downtrodden financially but also Psychologically. Throughout history it's always been a fight for those at the lower end of things to get the concessions necessary to make life bearable and it's always been an ongoing fight. Tony Benn says Democracy is not something that just happens and stays that way, you have to constantly insure it is maintained. This lot are eroding our every opportunity. We have to let them know we're not having it!
I think Richard has summed up this year most ably with the words 'There's a storm a coming' On all fronts we've got on hell of a struggle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:16 pm 
Hawley Groupie

I was at a public meeting in Nottingham last night and despite all the horrendous news about the cuts (Nottingham is apparently one of the worst hit councils) it was clear that there was a groundswell of activism and a desire for people from different community groups, faith groups and action groups to work together to challenge the government on numerous fronts. Protests, petitions, coachloads of people heading down to London, evidencing the impact of the cuts on the most vulnerable people in our society were all suggested as ways of making our voice heard. One small positive thing to come out of this government might be the development of community cohesion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:39 pm 

A Liberal democrat canvasser came to our doorthis afternoon expecting a nice middle class 'we love Nick Clegg' person to open the door - I was a bit pissed off because I was in the middle of the ironing and enjoying the Philip Marlow on the radio - I felt a bit bad afterwards 'cos I gave him a bit of a tongue lashing - I asked him how he could believe in a party that sold the country down the river in return for power.. he didn't really understand the economics but tried to explain it to me - when I told him I taught Economics he decided to try and back away from the front door - sadly for him I had only just started on my rant - about 20 minutes later and after Philip had finished he escaped... i don't think he'll come back again in a hurry!