Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:56 am 
Hawleytastic!

Steve Bell's is on fire about the bastards at the moment.

Can't seem to copy the image location but it's on here...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... g-lib-dems

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... uts-tories

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree ... id-cameron

I love him. Keeps me from going mad...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:10 pm 
The Boss

love Steve Bell always on the ball,in a way you want a country that was so sorted that Steve bell didn't have owt to draw..know what i mean?He is a fantastic cartoonist

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:10 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Here's an insight into how this shower twist the facts in a most callous and selfish way. It's wordy but interesting. Please let your M.P. know you know the facts. The students are fighting for themselves but many of the Disabled are unable to make any impression on the streets. They are gradually watching their quality of life roll back to the dark days when you hardly ever saw a disabled person out on the streets. If you care let's all make a noise about it!

..and sorry to be so preachy but I feel so gutted to see our society turned so sour

Mr Osborne’s 2010 emergency Budget speech.

" "Mr Deputy Speaker, it is right that people who are disabled are helped to lead a life of dignity. We will continue to support them, and we will not reduce the rate at which this benefit is paid. But three times as many people claim it today than when it was introduced eighteen years ago. And the costs have quadrupled in real terms to over £11 billion, making it one of the largest items of government spending. We will introduce a medical assessment for Disability Living Allowance from 2013, which will be applied to new and existing claimants. This will be a simpler process than the complex forms they have to fill out at present. That way we can continue to afford paying this important benefit to those with the greatest needs, while significantly improving incentives to work for others. " "

10 Jun 1997 : Column 835 of Hansard states:
""Have the Government any plans to encourage their take-up in the months and years ahead to enable people with disabilities to take their rightful place in society?

Baroness Hollis of Heigham: My Lords, I am pleased to confirm from my personal knowledge that that is indeed the case. I am fully aware of the importance disabled people attach to these benefits in meeting the extra costs of their disability. DLA will account for nearly £8 billion of the Department of Social Security's expenditure this year and more than 3 million people will be receiving help under DLA and attendance allowance. The noble Lord raised the question of take-up. Disabled people can get help with claiming these benefits from many sources such as disability organisations and the CABs. Most importantly, they can access, as I hope they will do, the Benefits Agency's free inquiry line--I shall give the number so that it goes into Hansard--on 0800 88 22 00 for information, advice and help with their claim forms. " "

in real terms - £8 billion in 1997 is worth £11 billion now.

The state of the nation report, www.cabinetoffice.go... states that there are 3.1 million DLA and attendance Allowance claimants, of which 1.8 million are of working age (the other 1.3 million being of pensionable age, or children.
In 1997 it was "this year and more than 3 million people will be receiving help under DLA and attendance allowance". Snap!

So the reality is that whilst the number claiming DLA and the amounts involved rose substantially in the first 5 years of it's existence, as you'd expect with any new benefit,(particularly one targeted at a wider group than the old allowance it was replacing). It has remained static for the last 13 years

The Disabled are an easy target for this government who are feeding out 'Benefit scrounger' stories to the papers on a daily basis. So that in the Publics eye empathy declines. They have even managed to give the impression that DLA is a benevolent pat on the head type benefit and not one that was designed to give disabled people a level playing field in this society where it is soooo expensive to be Disabled on so many fronts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:52 am 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

Shambolic Charm wrote:
They are gradually watching their quality of life roll back to the dark days when you hardly ever saw a disabled person out on the streets.

There was this little drop in place..in the town where I live...it had been running since the 1970s.It was for local people with a learning dissability...pretty sparten little set up, but on a Saturday morning it was buzzing....a place where you could get a cup of tea for 20p..listen to some K-Tel records & have a bit of a chin wag with your mates...& get involved in your local community....It's all now boarded up...finished for good.....it reallly was a lifeline for some people...
So where do all those good people hang out now..nowhere..Costa Cafe charges 3 quid for a fancy coffee & the weekly benefits won't allow for such luxuries.....(stuffed)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:12 am 
Hawleytastic!

The Tory's don't recognise communities, they believe in total control and power, divide and conquer so to speak.

Let's face it, all we're gonna have left in the coming years is our spirit and humanity towards the more disadvantaged.

Though they might try to tax it. :thumbdown:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

helenwatson wrote:
Steve Bell's is on fire about the bastards at the moment.
I love him. Keeps me from going mad...

he has cameron with a condom on his napper thus making him a . . . . . . dickhead

brilliant !

btw

right on mr shambolic charm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:50 pm 
Hawleytastic!

beaux nidle wrote:
he has cameron with a condom on his napper thus making him a . . . . . . dickhead brilliant

This is so nasty but funny but spot on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:08 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Oh, and right on Shambolic Charm from me too. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:23 pm 
Too much time on my hands

You said it Shambolic Charm!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:02 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Just had an 'at risk' of redundancy letter at work, which is obviously pretty grim , but even more worrying is the thought of what will happen to the people I work with- a highly disadvantaged and oppressed group who will now be put at risk as a result of the withdrawal of services. It feels as though we have regressed about 50 years under this goverment. People no longer matter, money is all. Such short term planning, when individuals will end up in crisis and be an even bigger drain on resources. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:32 pm 
The Boss

Jus like the good ol'US of A,tv debates with sharks in smiling suits

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:49 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Hope you're alright Julie. Make sure you get good advice. I've found this website really useful – it's called Work Smart and just explains things really well. Good luck and keep your chin up. Most people do appreciate the work that you do. x

http://www.tuc.org.uk/tuc/rights_main.cfm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:59 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Thanks for the link Helen. I am sure I will be fine, hopefully something will come along...and so many people are in the same horrible situation at the moment, I can't moan. It is the members of the local deaf community who are truly being shafted, all this stuff about frontline services not being cut is just bollocks :evil: