Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Depressed (sorry)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:59 pm 
Regular

Steerpike wrote:
Just found out I'm being laid off, 2 weeks into a 6 month contract. Govt has cancelled the Project. So a period of uncertainty and financial squeaky bum time. Happy xmas!

Been for a few pints to numb the pain. I know things are likely to be ok come Jan, but it doesn't half feel uncomfortable now. I've worked solidly for the last 13 years (since leaving education) without a break. Now all of a sudden I feel guilty and like a failure - I don't know why. Should be ok until end of Jan, but I hate the uncertainty.

I can't wait to see my beloved 12 year old daughter tomorrow - a real pick me up! Might have to break it to her that my xmas pressies will be a bit more Aldi and a bit less M&S this year.

Does it show that I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself? Don't mean to - but today was supposed to be the start of a deserved and much needed Xmas break. BAH!!!!!

What can I do tonight to pick myself up and remind myself how lucky I really am? It shouldn't be so hard. I know I should be grateful for the health of my loved ones and all that. Maybe I'll have a Chinese takeaway!

Don't worry about it and try and do active things to make yourself feel better. There'll be other opportunities opening up elsewhere and this lay-off could very well be a blessing in disguise for you.

I am by no means having a go when I say this, I'd feel down to given the timing, but get off the forums and spend those 'working hours' looking for and applying for another job, making money other ways (go through the attic and find things for ebay/read up on moneysavingexpert.com on how to save on energy bills etc / look for restaurant vouchers such as the bogof pizza hut one I'll be enjoying tonight).

Not only will it take your mind off everything but it will keep you active and feeling good about a productive day, besides, "the harder I work, the luckier I get".

Good luck mate and stay active!