Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: This is England 86
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:17 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Has anyone been watching this ? I felt sure there would be a post on here about it, I think its brilliant! I loved the film and was a bit dubious about this series but shane meadows has written/directed it and its every bit as good as the film.. quite dark in places (especially last weeks) but very poignant in others and very funny at times, quality TV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:22 pm 
Gentleman of floral persuasion

Brilliant stuff with a superb balance of grimmness and laughs.Can't wait for the final episode,you know it will end in tears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:01 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Saw the first two and quite enjoyed them, will watch the rest online probably. Saw the start of the third earlier, that Shaun running away and wearing old man clothes seems a bit too close to Somers Town mind you, I'll reserve judgement until I've seen the rest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:22 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Haven't seen Somerstown yet .....so many films, so little time.. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:42 pm 
Hawleytastic!

It's quite good. The lightest of all the Meadows stuff I've seen so far. For want of a better word.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:45 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I love all his films, but I'm gonna go against the grain and say I don't really like it. There's too much 'let's put them through hell' in the script for my liking. Like having a wedding where someone doesn't say 'I do' and then someone having a heart attack at the same time. That's just too Eastenders.

Great characters though and great actors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:59 am 
I need a life

I think its worth pointing out (seeing as there weren't any credits at the end of the first three episodes) that although Shane Meadows co-wrote all episodes he only directed episodes 3 and 4, hence why I felt the first two episodes seemed more like a late night version of Hollyoaks or some other C4 / E4 type teen-fest. I agree with you RP that there does seem to be a 'put them through hell' kinda thing going on in the style of current soap operas, but its worth bearing in mind that Shane's work amongst many other things is influenced by a lot of the British tv drama of 60's, 70's, 80's that seemed to die out when most tv channels started spending their budgets on soap opera explosions / special effects instead of quality screen writers or investing it in future generations of writers. Alan, I think you may change your mind about this being the lightest of Meadows work after watching 3 & 4 ;)
Thankfully I think Shane rescued the series with his subtle directing technique that allowed the actors to play the characters without going OTT. I very rarely watch any UK made telly, but I'm quite sad about this series ending. The cinematography on the original film was brilliant, this series was outstanding and beautifully shot (here in Sheff). I believe Shane Meadows is one of the best film directors we have here in the UK and having met him at a special screening of TIE '86 earlier this month found him to be a down to earth guy that has a lot of time for his fans. Already looking forward to TIE '90 :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:55 am 
Hawleytastic!

Actually, I've only seen the first two episodes, so am glad to hear that that's the case. Looking forward to seeing the Shane Meadows directed ones. Totally agree he is the best director going at the mo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:39 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Quote:
Alan, I think you may change your mind about this being the lightest of Meadows work after watching 3 & 4

Having just squirmed through episode 3 I totally agree - really difficult to watch that scene with *'s dad on the sofa.. quite uncomfortable at times but well executed, if that can be said of that type of scene (don't want to give too much away for anyone who hasn't seen it yet) Shane Meadows is an outstanding director / writer , one of a kind, and if there is going to be a TIE 90 i'll definitely be watching... i wonder if this will also be in a few years time ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:48 pm 
Hawleytastic!

fantastic ending to a great series last night.

www.myspace.com/roamingson
www.facebook.com/roamingsonuk
www.facebook.com/marklyall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:12 pm 
Hawleytastic!

i don't know if enjoyed is the right word but it was certainly gripping. the last 2 episodes were pretty difficult to watch. i wish it had been on longer as there was something missing in it for me. i found it a bit aimless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:44 am 
Hawleytastic!

Just seen the last 2 episodes, which totally rescued it for me. Though it's very intense, to say the least.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:23 pm 
Hawleytastic!

* I meant Somers Town was the lightest thing of his I'd seen.

This then, Hmm. It was pretty difficult to watch some of it alright, but the episodes were still shot through with some decent humour. As someone else said it was a tad directionless, and I get the sense that they had a follow up in mind as a lot of the loose ends weren't tied up. Watchable anyway, I'd say 3/5 overall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:16 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Well , i've just seen the last episode, pretty hard to watch at times, i must admit I felt like i'd been through the wringer with the last two episodes.. I have to say that I thought the whole series was brilliant... some of the little stories that were alluded to but never explored, like the character who lost his tooth when his mums boyfriend beat him up... and the paternity of Gadget's older girlfriends kid... I thought it was quality tv, the sort of stuff you don't get every day, like the red riding quartet.. now and again something really good like this comes along and you realise everything else you watch is shit !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:20 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Thought the series was awesome. Could have done with more.