Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:19 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:01 pm 
The Boss

Beaux and Helen,a tricky subject there are probably loads of facts about this subject we know fuck all about,soo don't be unkind to each other is all i am saying.it is a subject that creates a lot of anger and emotion i would just solve it all by shooting the lot of em

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm 
Hawleytastic!

hey i'm not trying to upset anyone, there are greater things in life than arguing about f*ing politicians, i just think there wasn't an alternative to the choice they made. i do invite other options. if there's a better argument i'll acknowlege it.

gotta admit now that i re-read my post it looks a bit rantier than it was intended. soz
i'll buy you a pint helen

xx

Last edited by beaux nidle on Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:20 pm 
The Boss

aye it did but top man as always thanks love :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:37 pm 
Hawley Groupie

you really must go beyond shouting at the papers/telly and get out on the streets. Organise for a bailout of services and jobs!

Tory tactics - make us all so scared of loosing our jobs, give us something else to worry about and we don't have the time and energy to fight back. But you wait and see it will come. I just hope it happens in a constructive way and not through riots like we saw in the 1980's

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:47 pm 
Hawleytastic!

This is lively! :D
Lots of good points flying around and plenty of emotion.
For me we do need a strong banking system, with careful lending and cautious credit control.
We don't want reckless lending, high-risk investments or "immoral speculation" (price fixing on basic commodities).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:30 pm 
Hawleytastic!

beaux nidle wrote:
helenwatson wrote:
because a shit Labour government bailed out the bankers,

sorry, but i'm not having this.
the only choice to make was to bail 'em out.

were you wishing for a new great depression ? a re-run of the jarrow marches ?
the collapse of the western economic system won't do much for anyone's health and well being.
you don't happen to be in the swp do you ? cos i can't think of any other reason you'd wish for it.

suggest an alternative, please.

No offence taken! And you can buy me a pint if I ever meet you. For the record, I am old skool Labour, not SWP, although it wouldn't matter to me if people were. I come from a family of trade unionists and I wouldn't be worried about sharp debate. My mother would kick your arse (not physically, you understand, but verbally) in any discussion we'd have and she's nearly 80.
I think they did have an alternative – they had an opportunity to invest in a different economic system. Instead of closing and privatising the post office, they could have invested money in the creation of a people's bank where investments could be made ethically and not gambled on some Ladbrokes style international cesspool of thieves and despots.
And I joined the Labour Party when I was 15, as soon as I was old enough, and the party I joined actually wanted a different economic system which would definitely be better for people's health and wellbeing.
I really don't want to be harsh and certainly don't expect the world to agree with me. But I sit down with people every day, baffled at what they were going to do after being thrown on the scrapheap at 50. What has happened has not worked and there must be a better way.
Anyway, I'll get me pint glass ready... my preferred tipple is gin. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:18 pm 
Hawleytastic!

tip top there helen.

yes i can see we'll be side by side on the barricades.
and your ma probably would have me for toast i'm sure. you can't knock experience.

yes, a broader policy of finance reform should have been what they pursued. but, given that they had ditched clause 4 yonks ago, there wasn't really much prospect of them refoming the banking system was there ? i don't think they had an option on the day of the meltdown, that was my point really.

all hail the co-operative society. still the best way forward. (almost all the best things are from manchester)

and even though i'm not wild about charities, spare a thought for the joseph holt brewery in manchester. they founded the holt-radium institute (the world famous christies cancer hospital), still give away a percentage of their profit to the hospital and still produce family owned, locally brewed ace beer at a sensible price. capitalism with a conscience.

holt's bitter is ace

a pint ! of gin !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:21 pm 
The Boss

see,we're much better than those nasty politicians :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:00 pm 
Gentleman of floral persuasion

beaux nidle wrote:
and even though i'm not wild about charities, spare a thought for the joseph holt brewery in manchester. they founded the holt-radium institute (the world famous christies cancer hospital), still give away a percentage of their profit to the hospital and still produce family owned, locally brewed ace beer at a sensible price. capitalism with a conscience.

holt's bitter is ace

Blimey,i didn't know Holt's founded Chisties..........You're right about Holt's being the best bitter around,i've had many a sore head following a Holt's sesh.I even had to move away from Manchester after suffering from Holtzhiemers.

Sorry,back on topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:15 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Do love my gin! Went on holiday with a group of friends to France once and sent blokes to the duty free to buy spirits for the trip. We were horrified when they came back with litres of gin and tonic (which were on buy one litre, get one litre free) – I mean, what did they think this was, an episode of Terry and June?
But, I'm afraid from that point on, I became a gin girl. Mother's Ruin, bunter's tea, south sea, cock-my-cap, wind, kill-grief, comfort, white tape, white satin, white wool, white ribbon, bit of tape, blue tape, blue ribbon, light blue, sky blue, poverty, apricock-water, diddle, kill-cobbler, stark-naked, strip-me-naked, mother's ruin, roll-me-in-the-kennel and, for any Cockneys needle and pin, nose and chin and Vera Lynn – doesn't matter what you call it, I will have a small one. Or a pint if you're buying.
But I might tempt me dad off the pale ale for a bit of your Holts. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:25 pm 
Hawleytastic!

joey holts, nectar of the gods
the most bitter bitter known to man (the first mouthful tastes like ear'ole wax)