Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Matlock / Matlock Bath
PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:47 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Me, missus & Bin Lids went to Matlock Bath on Tuesday, was a lovely day up untill around 4pm when it started raining. council have really done Matlock Bath up, theres a few nice play areas for the kids, and the gardens near the Pavillion have all been done up too. we sat for hours near the little ponds & waterfalls, then had a walk on to the shops. nice all the usuall games arcades, chippys & ice cream parlour's, but plenty of pub stops along the way.
Highly reccomended for a day trip, and not too far out from sheffield too.
Planning on visiting Riber Castle too, havent been since i was a kid.

www.myspace.com/roamingson
www.facebook.com/roamingsonuk
www.facebook.com/marklyall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:12 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I used to live in Matlock Bath, back in the 1970's and loved my time there. I still have a soft spot for it, all these years later, and still enjoy waling in the woods above the village.

You may be a bit shocked when visiting Riber Castle. If you remember it as a wildlife park, then think again. The park closed several years ago, and the whole site is cordoned off. The 'castle' and it associated buildings have been purchased by a developer with view to turning it into flats and houses. The locals, however, are not happy about this and lodged objections. Not sure what is happening to it now.

Its still a nice walk walk to the top of the hill though, and I still go up there once or twice a year. After the wildlife park closed, the site was used for some of the final scenes in Shane Meadows' 'Dead Mans Shoes' movie.

Cheers, Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:13 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Just been on Riber Castle website, says that it's gonna be turned into accomodation!! also says the zoo was shut down too! looks like i wont be taking a visit then.

www.myspace.com/roamingson
www.facebook.com/roamingsonuk
www.facebook.com/marklyall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:56 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I have happy memories of days out in Matlock and Matlock Baths with my children when they were small...lovely!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:19 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

The zoo closed in September 2000, as I recall after extreme controversy over the treatment of the animals there - the animals were either auctioned off or, if no buyer could be found, they were let loose into the wild - not kidding. I know some of the stories of how the animals were kept were pretty appalling.

The zoo has been left abandoned since then, there has been talk for years of the site being turned into luxury accomodation since then, but nothing ever comes of it - for some time it has been possible to walk around the ruins, last time I was there they'd beefed up the security though and I believe they've boarded up a lot of the windows etc on the castle itself.

It's quite surreal walking around an abandoned zoo though - in 2003, of course, as Steve says, it was used as one of the settings in Dead Man's Shoes.