Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:33 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah, I think it is a confidence thing, before I started driving I was nervous, mostly worried about hitting somone, getting invlolved in crashes etc. Driving is hard at the start but it becomes I guess as natural an instinct as playing the guitar would be for some people I think thats a pretty good description. if you take care, have a calm head, be a courteous driver and just use the car as a means of getting from a to b you will be ok. you can't legislate for tossers who act different of course but such is life be it driving or otherwise.

For where you can't go
Mustang horses, champagne glasses
Anything frail anything wild
It's the price of living motion, what's beautiful is broken
And grace is just the measure of a fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:40 pm 
Hawleytastic!

arne saknussen wrote:
I was involved in a bus crash years ago - I remember it well 'cos I was the fucker driving the bus. Late at night at the terminus on a local estate a Mk4 Cortina screeches to a halt just across the front of the bus, and 5 young lads all pile out and come running round and try to push open the doors. I just put the fucker into gear and floored it - ripped both their nearside doors clean off :*: And then the old bill tried to have me for driving away from the scene of an accident. :? Luckily the union got their solicitors on the case and it was dropped. The number of slaps on the back and handshakes at work was amazing. :*:

Good for you! Am going to tell that story to my family cos it will make them laugh. We're a bus family – my dad drove a Routemaster and met my mum when she was his clippie. And both my dad's brothers were bus drivers, as is my brother in law and my sister (she's a big, scary woman – you wouldn't piss about on her bus)!
My dad will love you story because he was always getting into scrapes – people driving rubbishly; drunks puking on the seats; blokes giving women hassle; my dad always had to stick is oar in and sort it out and I love him for that. Never willing to sit and let something go by if he thought it was wrong and, more often than not, my mum would join in as well!
He's 75 now and only retired last year after 55 years as a driver. Not that you'd notice – he's got a tiny little Japanese car, only a bit more powerful than a motorised wheelchair and he still drives in the middle of the road and gets lairy with people who can't drive properly. Once a bus driver...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:37 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Unfortunately it's become one of those jobs where management are determined to have you by the balls at every slightest chance. Years ago you could get into a few scrapes, have a few laughs, and generally go home knowing that you'd done a good job. These days you need one eye for the road and the other to watch out for the knives in the back - and I don't mean from the local hoodies. :?
Here's another story for your Dad. About 25 years ago we had to bring 7 or 8 second-hand buses down from Newcastle. Going along the M1 at 45mph in convoy can be a bit boring so we decided it would be a bit of fun to occupy all 3 lanes and drive in a 'V' formation - a bit like the Red Arrows :*: The tailback behind us wasn't too pleased mind. When we got closer to home we then 'occupied' a roundabout by just driving around and around and around it for about 5 minutes - that caused a few more tailbacks :roll: This was 25 odd years ago and before the days of mobile phones and when the police were actually busy catching crooks instead of motorists. You couldn't and wouldn't do it now.

Admin might want to move this to an anorak bus spotters thread. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:02 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I'm loving it - think I'll post a pic of my favourite Midland Red Bus again :roll: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:36 am 
Hawleytastic!

saw a kid get knocked down at school yesterday. :( poor kid looked like the one in the advert on the telly. his arm all bent behind him as the silly bastard had reversed over him. he's a special needs kid and so vunerable too. most upsetting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:43 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

I heard, only today, that someone I used to work with had a head on collision on a roundabout. The other driver - from another country - was going round in the wrong direction :shock:

What really pisses me off, is the modern 'fuck you' culture on the roads. It's all drive right up your arse & 'get out of my fucking way'. I think some drivers must have a terrible chip on their shoulder, or something :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:00 am 
Hawleytastic!

loftyeric2 wrote:
What really pisses me off, is the modern 'fuck you' culture on the roads. It's all drive right up your arse & 'get out of my fucking way'. I think some drivers must have a terrible chip on their shoulder, or something :evil:

Totally agree - I still have phases of road rage - but now I take a passive courteous approach to driving - not letting my aggression get the better of me.

I think I'm going back to being a hippy...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:47 pm 
Regular

I get them every morning as they come flying past along rivelin, first car sees the lights & hi-vis jacket of your humble cyclist, and pulls round safely, second (third & fourth) car driving literally three metres behind, can't see what's in front of first car of course and miss by inches. They then continue in convoy like they're all on f-ing tow-ropes for another couple of miles, where I catch them all up in the queue at Hillsborough.

Why do they do this?

And can I also nominate the twonk who pulled out without looking last night and nearly splattered me. I got a cheery wave in the rearview mirror in response to my measured call of 'oh, I say sir!'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:10 pm 
Hawleytastic!

loftyeric2 wrote:
I heard, only today, that someone I used to work with had a head on collision on a roundabout. The other driver - from another country - was going round in the wrong direction

About 18 months ago i was sideswiped by a HGV driven by a dutch guy, the whole left side of my car had to be replaced. It was on the A68 in Northumberland which is a 60mph road, he was doing up to 75mph in some parts, when we got to a dualled part going uphill he was slowing so i started to overtake as HGV's were instructed to KEEP LEFT. Anyway he saw a lorry in front of him and just pulled out nearly knocking me into oncoming traffic, if i hadn't of floored the accelerator i would of been dead, no arguement.

The thing that pissed me off apart from nearly being killed was nobody stopped to ask if i was ok when i pulled over they actually just drove past as if nothing had happend.

Some advice, always get the police involved, stupidly i didn't and i had to settle on a 50/50 claim because i had no witness's. The fucker wrote out a statement and forged my signature saying it was my fault and then later retracted it when i demanded to see his tacometer readings, the insurance company wouldn't take him to court because of costs and lack of witness.

I'm still trying to get the skiddys out of them boxer shorts.... :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:33 pm 
Hawleytastic!

i know the road well and you get some right twonks on it. drive defensively i say and try to anticipate what the other pillocks are going to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:16 pm 
talking of bad drivers... get a load of this ... :shock:

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local ... uAiCA.cspx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

jesus, I wish they didnt include that picture in the article. :pale: bit more than a close shave by all accounts.

For where you can't go
Mustang horses, champagne glasses
Anything frail anything wild
It's the price of living motion, what's beautiful is broken
And grace is just the measure of a fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:00 pm 
Hawleytastic!

what a fine upstanding citizen. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:03 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I'm still bloody learning :roll: scares me what idiots are on the road but if they can drive I can :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:33 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I do around 80 miles every day for my work and I absolutely hate it. I do get a lot of time to listen to music though, which is no bad thing.