Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:42 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Meet up!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:37 pm 
Too much time on my hands

We're on! But come in May, when my grad class is done (it's across the street from Joe's Pub). May and September/October are the best for weather.

Still crying over that Hawley show I missed.

More venues which are great: Mercury Lounge - cozy little shows, front room pub (you can also buy tickets here for that and other venues), Bowery Ballroom...just superb. You enter downstairs into a bar, where they usually let you hang long after the show, so I've met many people there, room size is just right...big enough to rock, small enough to be awesome...balcony spots for the mellow...same folks run Webster Hall in the old Ritz of the 80s, but I can't stand the place now.

Some old bars (some gone, some still going):
http://www.forgotten-ny.com/STREET%20SC ... dbars.html

I do miss some old NYC things, but there were years I ran far from the place, in that way things have gotten better esp. for women alone.

I know this is all a confused ramble...but yeah...

~ Karen

Post subject: Re: Meet up!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:41 pm 
Regular poster

Karen wrote:
We're on! But come in May, when my grad class is done (it's across the street from Joe's Pub). May and September/October are the best for weather.

Still crying over that Hawley show I missed.

More venues which are great: Mercury Lounge - cozy little shows, front room pub (you can also buy tickets here for that and other venues), Bowery Ballroom...just superb. You enter downstairs into a bar, where they usually let you hang long after the show, so I've met many people there, room size is just right...big enough to rock, small enough to be awesome...balcony spots for the mellow...same folks run Webster Hall in the old Ritz of the 80s, but I can't stand the place now.

Some old bars (some gone, some still going):
http://www.forgotten-ny.com/STREET%20SC ... dbars.html

I do miss some old NYC things, but there were years I ran far from the place, in that way things have gotten better esp. for women alone.

I know this is all a confused ramble...but yeah...

~ Karen

Karen - thanks for all this good info :D .
Just a couple of questions - where is the best place to head for shopping - clothes etc (the blokes are doing two hocky games, girls have agreed to do one so think we will head off shopping when they go to the second - although incidentally went to see Coventry Blaze on Sunday, my first ever ice hocky game as prep for NY and it was quite good).
Second question and you may not know the answer on this, but have been looking up helicopter tours and have come across a company called ZIP - do you know anything about them and whether they are ok?? No recent crashes would be a good start! Thanks, Gloria

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:58 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

Karen wrote:

Zabars - Upper West Side market...squished and crazy, but you'll find some only in NYC things, you can go eat at the "Seinfeld" diner on the UWS as well. There's not a super-lot in the area, but some very cool places, I'm glad you liked it Sunflower, I've been staying up that way.

zabars! what an experience! went their every morning for breakfast.

also liked big nick's for cheap nosh
http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/bi ... zza-joint/

me wanna go back :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:51 am 

Bit of a simple answer, but if they're at the hockey at Madison Square Garden, Macy's is right across the street. You can spend days in there, it's massive and as I said, there's always a deal to be had.

There's so much shopping of every type...just let me know what you're looking for - any specialty interest, sizes?

If you like boutique wandering, I'd send you towards the village areas. If it's diving through clearance and off-price, there's other places. But pretty much, all of NYC=shopping!

~ Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:58 am 

On the helicopter thing, I'm hesitating a bit as, let me put it delicately, that was recently in the news. You might know, since you asked. They have changed flight patterns over the city recently, it really has never made sense, the skies are crowded with all the big flights, traffic copters and small planes. It was not as restricted as you'd think.

Having said that, it would be amazing, I've never done it in NYC, but I did in San Francisco. I screamed the whole flight.

It's funny now with travel in the internet age. I'd just be web-searching the same stuff you would, maybe with a bit of local insight.

~ Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:05 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Holiday to Boston and New York sorted after two years of trying to get one sorted! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:31 pm 
Regular poster

Well I've just got back from my trip to New York - had an absolutly fantastic time. :D :D :D

Did all the tourist things, walked round Central Park, Ground Zero (very moving to stand in the cemetry just across the road from the site), went ice skating at the Rockafeller Centre which was ace, (last skated in circa 1988!), although didn't go to the top of the rock - couldn't face it. Went to the ice hockey although slept through quite a lot of it as had been for a fab meal at Bobby Vans before hand and drank too much pinot grigio! :BEEEER Saw West Side Story, did the Staten Island Ferry, bus tour, Brooklyn Bridge. Did a bit of shopping as well, (got a Little Brown Bag from Bloomingdales). So many other things and had some fab food as well (Carnegies Deli this morning where the sandwiches resemble a weeks shopping on a plate, delicious though!)

Also this one's for MissBumbleBee - did the helicopter ride! Can't believe I did it to be honest - but it was fantastic (the highlight of everyones trip). I have to say I did shut my eyes and screamed a bit for most of it as I found the turning a bit horrific, however I would so recommend this as the great thing is that you get very little sense of motion and so if you really did hate it then the option to close your eyes gets you through the turns as you just can't feel it. Did try and look a bit (else it's a bit pointless), whole thing lasted 15 mins and it's amazing how much ground you cover, flew over central park, round the Empire state (could see all the people in the observation deck), ground zero site, round the statue of liberty. Really spectacular and would say definately do it. Photos we took and even the official one are really funny, as everyone is smiling and looks really excited and then there is me just looking utterly terrified. :pale:

Anyway, enough ramblings - to anyone who has never been, would say this is a must do trip if you ever get the opportunity, the place feels so safe as well (except the yellow cabs which are more terrifying than the helicopter - even had a crash on one trip, though not serious).

Thanks to everyone for the advice on things to do - especially Karen who provided some great insights. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:19 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Wow!! Sounds like you had a blast!

Was only talking to my Mum about the helicopter trip a few days ago as she's still undecided.......I have time to talk her into it

Getting more excited now......... :D :D

Post subject: Missed you!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:57 am 

Oh I didn't realize you were already here. So that's the cab that tried to mow me down, ha ha. Yeah, it's nuts. I think my proudest moments in life have been driving around Manhattan, holding my own with cabbies.

City was glorious today...bit of early spring, 60 degrees (whatever that is C) but also the whole place does need some soaking rain, it is dingy this time of year.

It's always good, but I'm also glad I'm out in the woods too.

~ K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:04 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I'm off to the New York for the first time on the 15th April. Trying to get a gig there but it seems America is 'not quite ready for me.' :wink:

Does anyone know any good music spots in Brooklyn or Lower East Side?

Post subject: Do I know...!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:29 am 

It's ALL good sites on the LES & Brooklyn!

My old friend (not too close, but still in touch) runs Union Hall & Bell House in Brooklyn. I know staff at Piano's on LES. Down the street are several places which offer music, no admission, pass the bucket. There must be some bill you can join.

Let me know if I can help. I mean, I'm not super-knowledgeable or connected being 100 miles uptown, but I can try.

Off to Boston myself this week, I lived there once a long time ago. I'm going to a club I went to 29 years ago. I'll still get cahded.

~ Karen

Post subject: Re: Do I know...!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:36 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Karen wrote:
It's ALL good sites on the LES & Brooklyn!

My old friend (not too close, but still in touch) runs Union Hall & Bell House in Brooklyn. I know staff at Piano's on LES. Down the street are several places which offer music, no admission, pass the bucket. There must be some bill you can join.

Let me know if I can help. I mean, I'm not super-knowledgeable or connected being 100 miles uptown, but I can try.

Off to Boston myself this week, I lived there once a long time ago. I'm going to a club I went to 29 years ago. I'll still get cahded.

~ Karen

Thanks Karen! The Bell House looks great. I must just bring my guitar and try and get on a bill, like you say.

Have a great time in Bahhstan!

Post subject: Guitar shop
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:34 pm 

For planning your NYC trip, I just happened to walk down East 4th on Monday...and the Rivington Guitar shop is now there, not on Rivington anymore:

http://rivingtonguitars.com/

Saw some gorgeous guitars that inspired lust, but I haven't been playing. So I got a tote bag.

Record shops are changing so fast as well, I should find or put together a good list.

~ K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:04 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I'm off to New York on Thursday....:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:37 pm 
Regular poster

You lucky thing!!

I absolutly loved the trip I had there back in March, in fact it's one of them where it almost gets better when you reflect back on it as in the moment you are doing so much you can't take it all in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next