Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:50 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

Jan H wrote:
Never been to New York, but it's on my list of places to go

it was top of my list for my 'special' birthday and it was worth every minute 8) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:46 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Gloria wrote:
I'm really keen to do the helicopter thing aswell, also not a fan of heights......
BUT i was talked into a balloon ride over The Valley Of The Kings and I was amazed at how safe I felt, hence my desire to do the helicopter ride!!!

Now I just have to talk my Mum into it! :shock:

Not sure when you are off, but I should be there exactly a month today :D so, should I consume a sufficiently large amount of vodka to get the nerve up to attempt the helicopter, then I shall report back on how terrifying it was, which may or may not prove helpful in persuading your mum![/quote]

October,,,,,, so will look forward to hearing all about it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:47 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

sunflower wrote:
Jan H wrote:

it was top of my list for my 'special' birthday and it was worth every minute 8) :D

Was there anything you did that you thought was either a waste of time and/or money?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:43 am 
Hawleytastic!

MissBumbleBee wrote:
sunflower wrote:
Jan H wrote:

Was there anything you did that you thought was either a waste of time and/or money?

Coming home? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:42 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

MissBumbleBee wrote:

no. i decided before i went that i wasn't going to shop ( :shock: ) cos i just wanted to see loads of other things and i knew i'd waste loads of time if i did. im glad i didn't as there was so much to pack in and i was there 6 days. i think it's good to have a decent idea of what you want to see before you go. i remember being totally exhausted with all the walking (did loads) and almost not walking back over the bridge from brooklyn after a full day there (how could i not??) but thank god i did and it was certainly one of the best days of my life 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:59 pm 
Regular poster

[quote="sunflower"]without boring yer rigid, i would say DEFINTELY GO TO BROOKLYN! i spent a day there and it was just wonderful.

Hi Sunflower - interested in what you did at Brooklyn and why you felt it's a must see. I have got myself a guide book, but as Karen says the whole place is so massive it's quite difficult to focus on what to do. (Plus there are 6 of us going, so no doubt we'll have 6 different opinions!) Thanks Gloria

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:29 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

errr. well it was 4 years ago but got the subway over early in the morning and walked around Brooklyn Heights and Cobble Hill and then went to Coney Island. The headed off to Prospect Park, Grand Army Plaza and then the Brooklyn Museum and back over the bridge.

i just love walking around cities - it's my fave thing - so it was brilliant just wandering about and taking in all in.

it was april and the weather was beautiful. it was just one of those days that was pretty much perfect 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:37 pm 
Flange cheese munching cockend

I want to go to New York.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:40 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

you should 8)

i'd always wanted to go and bloody glad i did when i had maybe my one and only chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:42 pm 
Site Admin

go, flights are for fuck all now, well compared to what they once were. Almost 7 years since I was there but I used to go regularly when my cousins lived there. Many fond memories, most of em in Joe's pub :BEEEER loved the drive from JFK past Shea stadium and into the city the feeling of just taking it all in, we always used to get the best pizza at a place just beside that ballpark, like the sunflower says cities like that are best discovered walking and via the subways and stuff. Damn I'd like to go back too.

For where you can't go
Mustang horses, champagne glasses
Anything frail anything wild
It's the price of living motion, what's beautiful is broken
And grace is just the measure of a fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:56 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

would also recommend staying around the upper west side - great (cheap) places to eat and perfect for central park 8)

liked it round lower east side at night for bars and that.

the one and only time i felt uneasy was when we ventured into alphabet city (on purpose!) - and quickly left!

:*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:22 am 
I need a life

sunflower wrote:
would also recommend staying around the upper west side - great (cheap) places to eat and perfect for central park 8)

liked it round lower east side at night for bars and that.

the one and only time i felt uneasy was when we ventured into alphabet city (on purpose!) - and quickly left!

:*:

You'd be hard pressed to find any neighborhood in Manhattan that is especially dangerous after hours. Same with the majority of neighborhoods in Brooklyn. It's just too damn expensive to live there anymore.

Let me know if you make it over Dave.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:40 am 
Too much time on my hands

Just home from another night with some places I like:

Zabars - Upper West Side market...squished and crazy, but you'll find some only in NYC things, you can go eat at the "Seinfeld" diner on the UWS as well. There's not a super-lot in the area, but some very cool places, I'm glad you liked it Sunflower, I've been staying up that way.

BAGELS! I love Murray's, but I'll take all the others! And you won't need to eat ever again.

For seafood lovers - Grand Central Oyster Bar (there's a whole food court and food hall which they put in AFTER I schlepped through there daily, restored the whole things beautifully, it's a fantastic place now) Oyster bar is great if you're traveling alone...long counters for solo diners (very common in NYC another great thing). Lunch time, they have a take-out window.

I didn't think about Top of the Rock cause I worked there for most a decade, but go for it! If there's anything at Radio City, it is a fantastic experience, as are all the old iconic theaters and so many good music venues (easier to list the ones I avoid).

I also have odd reasons for not mentioning other great things, like Staten Island ferry. Go for that too! Takes a bit of time, but it's a free cruise!

And Coney Island. Oh dear, something happened there. ;) Very cool if you're over in the summer especially. You could catch some beach, see the Cyclones play baseball, eat at Tototono's, visit the aquarium. It does take a while on the subway for those without too much time.

Velselka is a great Polish restaurant - for late breakfasts or VERY LATE hang-over stopper pierogries. There's just so many places in NY, but my friends and I sort of gravitate back to our classics.

Jones is a tiny little cozy place near Other Music, just south of Astor Place. It's simple Cajun/hamburgers, but it's just so warm and cozy. One of Pavement used to work the bar (not sure if he still does).

Big stores and major Yank chains seem to always have a coupon deal which can save you 15-30% more. You can go online from your hotel, sign up for the website and see if you can snag one. Macy's you can always get an 11% off coupon in their visitor's office...I ask for one with my honking local accent but out of state license.

Sunflower, don't really know the quality of UWS hotels, but I walk past a few, I will ask for recommendations. But I really love staying downtown too. Midtown is exciting sure, but I would think Hawley folks would enjoy difference. Unfortunately, there is still not much in Brooklyn, you'd think.

Also, in Park Slope Brooklyn, Union Hall is a fun place...small room for bands downstairs, nice bar/bocce upstairs, close to subway. The same guy (a old friend) runs the new music club Bell House in Gowanas. If there's something good there, go! Go by subway, but do take up the bartender on getting you car service back to Manhattan.

More ideas as I think of them, or do stuff. I get so frustrated that I haven't traveled the past few years as I wished I could, but you're all reminding me that just the odd day and here is someone's dream trip too.

If you want ideas beyond NYC, there's some great little trips. It's very cheap to go by bus to Boston. Philly is very close by train and very different from NYC. If you're coming for a concert tour, it's great to add the Philly stop.

If you're a scenic country person, especially if you come in early to mid-October, a ride on the commuter rail up the Hudson is glorious. The train runs right along the shore. There's some ugly but interesting on the way (Sing Sing prison). You can travel up to the DIA:Beacon art museum, stop in Cold Spring on the way back down for a stroll and dinner, cute old town where I once lived. Not for those with little time in the city, but if you come for a bit and want to get out of town for a trip for not much money.

~ K

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:20 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Eoin wrote:
Many fond memories, most of em in Joe's pub

This Joe's Pub?

Saw Robbie Fulks there in 2007. Not too far from Mercer St and that sort of area if I remember rightly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:51 pm 
Hot piece of Sheffield ass!

forum meet up I say...new york (april/may so I can dump the kids on my mum)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next