Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:57 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ebay purchases
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:07 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

OK...I have been buying and selling stuff on Ebay for many years now, and it has generally been a good experience. However, I have recently been highest bidder on a couple of items, desribed as 'new' or 'mint' only to find them in far worse condition than the seller stated.

Yesterday, I received a part for one of my older cameras that the seller desbribed as 'brand new'. I couldn't believe the state of it when I unwrapped it - covered in scratches and dust. It was in a worse state than the one I was replacing. :evil:

A little while ago I received a camera that was described as 'mint' - no user marks, just like new. This was far from the case when I received it. When I contacted the seller, I was told that it was 'mint for it's age'. What the hell does that mean?? :evil: The pictures on listing made it look good, and did not reveal the imperfections. Both items have been returned and my money is to be refunded, so I guess no harm has been done.

Interestingly, the same camera was relisted a few days after I retuned it, with exactly the same description! No mention was made of the dings and scratches.

What really crawls up my pipe is why sellers advertise stuff as 'new' or 'mint' when it clearly is not. All it means is a load of hassle for both parties when it comes to refunds. I am now of the opinion that mint actually means 'I wan't more money for it than it is worth'.

Have any of you had bad Ebay experiences?

Cheers, Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:59 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Yes bought a handbag as brand new & would you believe it had a half full pack of Silk Cut & a box of matches in it :evil: The sellers excuse was she was selling on behalf of someone, let's just say I shared a few choice words with the dozy cow.

& let the dreams come softly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:24 pm 
Original Hippy

Mandy G wrote:
Yes bought a handbag as brand new & would you believe it had a half full pack of Silk Cut & a box of matches in it :evil: The sellers excuse was she was selling on behalf of someone, let's just say I shared a few choice words with the dozy cow.

I'll give you 50p for the tabs & matches, Mandy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:07 pm 
Hawleytastic!

He He, i threw them away in disgust as then i smoked marlboro's!! sorry Nick but they are lasses ciggies & do not put hairs on your chest nor make you cough up a lung which were the type i once enjoyed.

& let the dreams come softly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:12 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Have you ever tried closing down an ebay account?

I was pissed off by ebay a while ago - they cant / wont close your account down until 30 days has passed since last transaction - I think about 60 days passed until closure was confirmed - with a rider that may not be 'fully' closed for another 180 days...

Post subject: On the other side
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:11 am 
Too much time on my hands

On the other side, I sold a CD, nothing exotic,for maybe 7 bucks, and got hateful emails and negative feedback. The problem? The little spindles on the CD were broken.

The buyer finally admitted he was way out of line. He said he was sick of receiving things in poor condition and thought he ought to teach we sellers a lesson. Oh thanks, we're all one and the same and that was such a collasal issue. He wouldn't send it back for a refund, so I mailed a buck to buy a new case. In a snippy way ;)

That and 5 rounds of email over a pin badge that sold for 3 bucks with shipping put me off for a while. I do have things to list again.

~ K

Last edited by Karen on Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:27 am 
The Boss

i have bought loads of stuff from ebay mostly good expreiences i have to say but there a clutch of guitars in my attic awaiting attention i bought from"in perfect working order"sellers my attitude is be cool,its a huge internet junk shop and like life itself there is good and bad but i do understand if you feel ripped off,ebay are good at resolving disputes,i just try and be as nice as possible it gets sorted in the end although i haver almost given up now cos its all a bit of a hassle i joined ebay years ago when i wasn't"known"and i stupidly put my true identity on there and it attracts some erm........odd folk shall we say :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:57 am 
Hawleytastic!

You can change your user name on ebay - call yourself John Smith or sommat :*: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:19 am 
Hawleytastic!

I love those minor brushes with celebrities that ebay offers

I bought a record off a guy that used tp play in Robert Gordons band( he was replaced by Link Wray) and I bought a shirt or Lynn Boorer

A friend of mine sold a tape to Henry Rollins- he's pretty sure it was THE Henry Rollins

I like the idea that the rich and famous are sitting at home buying crap off ebay , the same as the rest of us

ebay- the ultimate leveller

Back on topic- i just bought a pair of raybans- in "excellent condition"

"Excellent" if scratched lenses are your thing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:37 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

This morning I received notification from Paypal that all monies had been refunded, so I guess no harm has been done. The seller also contacted me to apologise, so even though I did not get whay I wanted, I am happy that things have been resolved.

Yesterday I had the attitude that I will never use Ebay again. Today, I found myself back there, hopelessly browsing old cameras and lenses thinking 'shall I bid?'

I guess all will be fine until my next bad experience...

Cheers, Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:48 pm 
Hawleytastic!

johnny wrote:
A friend of mine sold a tape to Henry Rollins- he's pretty sure it was THE Henry Rollins

The last thing I sold on ebay were two tickets to see Richard at Birmingham on the last tour - the seats were the best - front row circle above stage right I reckon you would be 10' max from the stage - I was gutted to sell them but had over extended my finances so they had to go - the buyer was named Peter Shilton...

Did anyone see a famous English International Goalkeeeper at this gig?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:52 pm 
Flange cheese munching cockend

The Baroness wrote:
You can change your user name on ebay - call yourself John Smith or sommat :*: :wink:

You'd still find him! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:27 pm 
Hawleytastic!

On a more positive note, I found the paypal dispute option very good. I bought a camera and this guy just simply didn't send it! Didn't return emails e.t.c.

I opened a dispute and in the end got my money back. Though you don't want the agro.

I know a few people who sell records on ebay. One guy I know sold Anarchy in the UK on EMI to Jonathan Ross and another guy sold a very rare Ramones 7" to...one of The Ramones!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:39 am 
Hawleytastic!

Dave wrote:
The Baroness wrote:

You'd still find him! :wink:

AND buy all of his stuff! :*: :*: xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:41 am 
Newcomer

Well Karen, I used to sell stuff on eBay too but it aint the bad buyers who have put me off, but eBay policies...... they are now so tipped in the favour of the buyer that it is ridiculous, and when you have had a fair few fools that haven't read the listing description properly before ranting at you then you begin to wonder if it's all worth the hassle.

As a buyer I've had only one or two bad buys and found that, as Richard says, staying calm and using the process usually sorts them out without blood pressure problems. What with eBay AND Paypal cover, things are usually sorted - eventually

At the moment my "pet" searches are, vinyl, US comics, motorcycle stuff and photography stuff, and eBay is a veritable gold mine of stuff in these categories......... I usually find that if I want something, I'll find it - sometimes have to go abroad for it, but thats what I like about eBay. I've also made a few friends on there too, one or two have become very close friends as well.