Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: The La's Album
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:13 am 
Regular poster

I have just found out that The La's only album has been released again as a double album,the original came out late 80's and is probably best known for their absolute classic song There She Goes, the story is that songwriter Lee Mavers was never happy with the production and they went through 3 or 4 differant producers,anyway the new album has unreleased tracks on it and the other producers versions of the songs that went on the original album. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:20 pm 
I need a life

Lee Mavers must feel really angry about this, releasing all the stuff he thought wasn't good enough or authentic enough. I just rather keep the material he aloud us to listen in the first plase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:39 pm 
Regular poster

On the other hand i would imagine the royalty cheques from "There She Goes " have kept him going all these years. :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:14 pm 
I need a life

GarforthGary wrote:
On the other hand i would imagine the royalty cheques from "There She Goes " have kept him going all these years. :*:

Well, enough to pay the bills :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 3:57 am 
The Boss

thats a grim way to look at songs........there are loads and loads of people who write who will never be heard,imagine all the mountain folk,trail drivers,immigrants who wrote songs or brought them over(soz i know your only jokin),........i did two gigs with the la's when i was with Treebound story,the guitar player borrowed my fuzz pedal,lee was playing Bo Didley tapes in the dressing room of the leadmill,i popped me head round the door to say hello and"fuckin ell.....i thought i was the only one of our age that liked"who do you love"? ............................... i think they were fairly gone by this time as the sound check consisted of"anyone got a football"which we had in the van as we were on acid and had just come back from a stint in the graveyard all night,and the search for the"spiritual"became boring so me Rob Cuz and Fan tried to play footie in the dark.............still.......you know best.

Anyway i thought Lee mavers was great,it was obvious he was well into it,the Bo Diddley thing swung it for me,i remember silver papers,Bo Didley and the lovely John Powers later of a band called cast who i toured with massively with,top bloke.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:19 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

There are around four top quality stories in that post Richard. :*: Brilliant! :)

http://myspace.com/francisdonaghy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:29 am 
Regular poster

The story of The La's and Lee Mavers has always interesed me,i had the album on tape when it 1st came out and latterly on cd.Got to say "There She Goes " has been a long standing favourite of mine and i never tire of hearing it,you do hope the guy who wrote it has and is still getting the rewards,i also was a fan of Cast,i know John Power is still touring and was in Leeds not too long ago,i will probably get the new double cd as was said there is a lot of stuff on it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:59 am 
I need a life

I admire Lee Mavers and the La's a great deal, and Mavers have these particular way to view music; he's a purist and was very difficult to work with, but he's puritanism in music is what I like, he was always in search of the real sound of the 60's and the music of he's idols. Genius through and through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:47 am 
Hawleytastic!

John Power is on tour at the moment, I'm going to see him next month

Dates are here:

http://www.johnpower.uk.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:10 am 
Regular poster

SimonK wrote:
John Power is on tour at the moment, I'm going to see him next month

Dates are here:

http://www.johnpower.uk.com/

never really given John Power much attention after Cast but some of his stuff I really like. There's another guy up in Liverpool doing the same sort of thing, Howie Payne, formely of The Stands. If you dig John Power and u haven't heard of him, give him a try.

Back on topic, There She Goes (John Leckie Version) off this new record is really good, dare i say, better than the original?!?! :?

Like all dreams it started in someone's heart and moved, intravenously, to their head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:41 pm 
Regular poster

Look out for the BBC session album - I play it more than the studio one now.
Timeless melody always edged out there she goes for me, but both brilliant tunes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:47 pm 
Regular poster

Hmmm, sounds like it's worth buying again - this'll be the third version I've bought. The original, the remastered and now the deluxe!

Saw them a few of years ago (think it was about 2005) and they were great! For all the rumours about Lee's health it was brilliant to see he's just yer average everyday genius :wink:

Will the much anticipated second album ever appear? Rumour has it that Lee's got loads of songs ready...