Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:00 pm 
Hawleytastic!

A couple of special moments for me were: Ray Charles singing 'you don't know me' at the Deutschlandhalle in Berlin in the late 1980s - just thinking about it sends a shiver down my back and I will never forget RH singing 'the ocean' at City Varieties in Leeds in 2006 - my first experience seeing him live - something to do with the combination of the venue, the lighting and the performance was just magical

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:54 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

suppose my 'moment' has to be Heavyweight Champion Of The World by Reverend And The Makers after getting to do backing vocals on stage with them in Salford last summer whilst the song was in the top 10 :D

Though everytime i hear If I Think by Mudhoney it takes me back to the Octagon 1992 - first song at my first gig. Slow start - and then carnage :D

www.myspace.com/john_c_kent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:46 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Bursting into tears the first time I saw The Flaming Lips at the Leadmill about 10 years ago when they played The Spark That Bled. The whole gig was the best thing I've ever seen, all the more so because it was so unexpected. Nothing has compared since (bar The Ocean by laddo). Everytime I listen to the Soft Bulletin I well up. :roll:

- http://www.chrismsaunders.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:46 pm 
Newcomer

Since I've had kids and settled down a bit it's been all quiet on the live music front, and since it's one of the things me and my wife agree on unequivocally, music wise, it's been a bit hawley centric since the City Hall in December '06, first RH gig together and utterly special. The day after I was driving into work, first bit of winter sun rising in the grey sky, Coles Corner on in the car. The vista of the city suddenly appeared, sun rising over in Brook Hill direction, coinciding perfectly with the opening verse of the title track, and boy did I cry big wet tears of pride and happiness!

Most recently, it was beaux at Buxton - it was already shaping up to be one of the best ever gigs, but that crisp harmonica solo in 'I'm so Lonesome..' really did something to me, gave me a huge rush and all the hairs on my head and neck stood on end. Not had that happen for a long time now, especially when fuelled by joy and happiness alone :D

Having said that I'm still grinning after the West Street live do t'other week, I went with three friends to celebrate my birthday, and had the best night out in absolutely ages.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:01 am 
Hawleytastic!

Other moments......When the Smiths played "Stretch out and wait" at the Concert for Liverpool City Council....seeing Dwayne Dopsie and the Zydeco Hellraisers in New Orleans....seeing Oasis at the Wheatsheaf in Stoke on the day that their first single came out with only 60-odd people at the gig....Ryan Adams first solo UK concert at the Maze in Nottingham...Robbie Fulks & Dave Alvin at Palms Playhouse, Winters, California...the legendary Shack*Shakers at the Borderline in London...the Green on Red re-union show at the Astoria...seeing the Triffids sound check Madonna's "Into the Groove" at Manchester International....sharing beans on toast with Robert Smith of the Cure in my Uni days...

None of it seemed particularly rose-tinted at the time...!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:09 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

In 2001 , I went to Vancouver to see family. A couple of weeks before jetting over there, I decided to check if there were any gigs. Amazingly, The Everly Brothers were playing on Vancouver Island while we were there and having grown up listening to their music, I had to be there. They walked on and opened with a song called 'Green River', which is not one of their most well-known but is a personal favourite of mine. That was very special and hearing that song always takes me back to that moment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:10 am 
Hawleytastic!

There are lots of those moment, e.g. ...

Hawley accompanying The Go-Betweens on "He Lives my Life" on that green Baldwin 12-string.

And the first gig I ever been to: a Dutch Indo rock band covering "Stone Free" by Jimi Hendrix.

http://soundcloud.com/the-sellers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:46 am 
I need a life

Tom Waits - 1988 at the Orpheum in Boston. Incredible show - around the release of the Big Time album. The whole show was so theatrical and funny and beautifully realized. "16 Shells" with the big megaphone and Ribot on guitar - unforgettable. Great music, great banter. Loved every minute of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:29 am 
Hawleytastic!

underground wrote:
Since I've had kids and settled down a bit it's been all quiet on the live music front, and since it's one of the things me and my wife agree on unequivocally, music wise, it's been a bit hawley centric since the City Hall in December '06, first RH gig together and utterly special. The day after I was driving into work, first bit of winter sun rising in the grey sky, Coles Corner on in the car. The vista of the city suddenly appeared, sun rising over in Brook Hill direction, coinciding perfectly with the opening verse of the title track, and boy did I cry big wet tears of pride and happiness!

Lovely.... I'm in that car with you... well metaphorically speaking...lets re shoot the video...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:07 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Pulp for me as well. Not the first time I saw them at the Leadmill (far too much cider that night), but at the City Hall in about 95/96 I think. The opening bars to Babies will always make me grin like an absolute loon. Fucking awesome.

Jarvis was great at Plug last year too, on the Friday night. Black Magic in particular.

And Hawley at the City Hall 06 was really very special.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:31 am 
Regular

The Dears at Schuba's singing "The Second Part" absolutely just blew me away....

Morrissey at Poplar Creek 1992 (Chicago),
The Metro 2000 (Chicago)"Now My Heart Is Full" (he changed it to "Now My Meat Is Full")
The Paramount 2002 (Seattle)"Late Night,Maudlin Street" brought me to tears.
Hollywood Palladium last year (L.A) "Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself" gave me goosebumps.

I have yet to experience a Richard Hawley moment because I have not had the pleasure of seeing him yet, but I am sure when I do see him I will not be let down :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:45 am 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

Rufus Wainwright singing The Art Teacher whilst playing at The Eden Project last summer............I love the lines...

I looked at the Ruebens and the Rembrandts,I liked the John Singer Sargents..................

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:46 am 
Hawleytastic!

MexicanHilbilly wrote:
I have yet to experience a Richard Hawley moment because I have not had the pleasure of seeing him yet, but I am sure when I do see him I will not be let down :D

DEFINITELY not! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:20 am 
Hawleytastic!

I have a few moments

1980 ish showing my age now- Thin Lizzy Sheffield City Hall - Phil Lynott was awesome, it was like " Live and Dangerous" played all thew way through, sadly 6 years later he was dead.

The Jam - Sheffield Top Rank - it was the farewell tour I wasnt really into them that much before then but this gig changed my view on them, been a fan ever since.

Neil Diamond -Manchester Arena - in the round, again not really a fan until this gig, my wife is a big fan so I went along, I could not believe the energy of a guy nearly 70 years old knocking the songs out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:59 pm 
Hawleytastic!

1. Reading 1991, Mike Patton (Faith No More) climbing up the scaffold around the stage, getting so far up losing his bottle and sheepishley coming down a bit embarassed.
2. Newcastle City Hall, 91 or 92 Morrissey concert, the 1st 3 rows of seats flattend due to people standing on them, the look on the doormens faces as the hall emptied.
3. Happy Mondays, Whitley Bay ice rink early 90's, Shaun Ryder forgetting his lyrics time and time again, stop start stop start... tosser.
4.Sheffield Arena 1995, The Verve, Pulp and Oasis, a f'kin excellent day.
5. The Mayfair Newcastle, Inspiral Carpets (don't laff) one of the best live acts i've ever seen.
6. Mr H. all the time.