Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Your concert moment
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:27 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Does anyone have a 'concert moment' where when they can't listen to a song without visualising the gig in their head?
I recently had the pleasure of watching Mr H. in Manchester and now I can't listen to 'Our Darkness' without smiling like an idiot. It's the part at around 2 minutes 15 when Mr H. sings 'We talk of understanding and talk of love." (hope I got that right.) At the gig, everything went white, it was a great moment. No matter where i am listening, that part always needs turning up.
Before the gig, i liked the song, but it wasn't one of my favourites.
Anyone else had this kind of experience?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:11 pm 
Gimmie 6 !

not on a hawley note but Mr Ryan Adams, i wasn't that fussed about two songs but when i saw them play em live they completely did a u-turn for me.

Those two songs are Dear John and Peaceful Valley.

It also helps that most Ryan shows are taped and can be downloaded for free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:56 pm 

The end of 'The Ocean' from seeing RH in Glasgow & the last verse of 'Big Julie by Jarvis when it says "Yeah go & chase your dreams, but if your dreams are not your own" cos when I saw him at Connect he was sat on the monitor pointing at me at that bit.

It might be really sad to admit it, but I was glowing for about an hour after both & I'll never forget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:09 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

sun also sets - ryan

heard it for the first time at a gig and it blew me away.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:16 pm 
Hawleytastic!

In a similar vein to Aurora, it's a Jarvis moment. In a less similar vein, it was when he sang 'reduced to holding his own' in One Man Show. I suppose I'm a simple creature.

Oh, and CSS. One of the band fell over at 'am I a mouse?' in Alcohol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:23 pm 

DisneyTime wrote:
it was when he sang 'reduced to holding his own' in One Man Show. I suppose I'm a simple creature.

:*: :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:09 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Time can play tricks on you...

I remember Debbie Harry singing 'Fade away and radiate' or some such title at the Manchester FTH in the late 70's and her mini dress turned into a human mirror ball - well I was just over 20 and kids nowadays grow up much more quickly...

Last edited by Poppy Dog on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:34 pm 
Site Admin

Watching Cousteau at the Borderline in 2005 playing songs which were new to most of the audience, then Liam launching into one of the songs from their first album, Your Day Will Come - virtually note perfect start to finish to the recorded version (just to prove there was no studio trickery). 8)

Seeing Harry from Kubb singing Grow and Chemical months before the album release - the live versions were 1000% better than the versions the record company decided to release. :evil:

Shepherds Bush Empire in 2006, Richard and Shez doing the extended guitar work in Run for Me, opened my eyes to the song. :D

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:15 pm 
Hawleytastic!

So many....

Seeing Jonathan Richman play "Affection" at a Manchester University show in the early 80s...

Watching Dick Dale play "Miserlou" at the same venue...

Seeing Redd Volkaert sing "All my friends are gonna be strangers" at the Continental Club in Austin, Texas.

Seeing an aging and wobbly Jerry Lee Lewis come alive when sitting at the piano and playing "You win again" in Wolverhampton...

Actually dancing to Leon Chavis & the Zydeco Flames' "Dear Love" at the Raamsdonksveer festival in Holland...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

there have been many thankfully but here are some of the standouts from my rather shite memory...,

Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros some time in 1999... played their whole set and Whiteman In Hammersmith Palais had the crowd going nuts and at the end of the gig the curtain came down but nobody would leave, the security were getting shirty and a bit physical but soon realised that a thousand and then some old punks would most likely make mince meat of them so they gave in, the tour manager was on stage begging everyone to leave, no joy, 40 minutes later lights down, curtain up... London Calling, one of THE class moments ever, full stop, what other band would do that even if it only might have been so we'd get the fuck out, god bless ya Joe.

Morrissey @ The Ambassador Theatre, encored rather unexpectidly with There Is A Light That Never Goes out which has been one of my all time favourite songs full stop and the place went suitably mental.

Pulp @ The Point summer 1996. Class gig I was only 16 or 17 or someting and Pulp were 'my band'. best up for it crowd I have known at a gig such a vibe never been equalled until the end when they did Common People, lifted the fuckin roof off big time.

Wilco @ Vicar St this year, encored with I Got You (At The End Of The Century) & Outta Mind Outta Sight back to bacj, say no more

other notable mentions, Justin Rutledge doing Special @ The Grapes, The Decemberists nailing Sons & Daughters and various Hawley moments too numerous to mention and lots of other stuff that will most likely come to me later.

For where you can't go
Mustang horses, champagne glasses
Anything frail anything wild
It's the price of living motion, what's beautiful is broken
And grace is just the measure of a fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:26 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Elvis the Concert........... when they play the intro.......also sprach zaruthstha.................... a scalp prickling moment - then of course he appears on stage..................... even in video its awesome ................. 8)

And of course many, many Hawley moments................. when I heard Hotel Room live for the first time with that wonderful guitar piece..............the last one being when Richard smiled at me from stage at the Astoria.............. I spent the rest of the gig in a bit of a daze............. :oops: :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:07 am 
Waitrose Warrior

Richard Hawley, City Hall, December 2006. Every song incredible and a killer 8) :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:17 pm 

2 more have occured to me.
Pet Shop Boys 1999 (i am aware i may not have quite the same taste in music as others on here) Being Boring - new version where they were dressed in fright wigs and samurai clothing. When the music broke, Everyone fell down on stage in unison and strobe lighting flashed everywhere. Very theatrical.

Mercury Rev - The opening bars of 'The Funny Bird' when the bass went right through my heart. Came out of the gig feeling much closer to them that i had previously and didn't mind that i'd missed the last train and had to wait in the October cold until half past one in the morning. (well, i did start thinking i would never be warm again by about 20 past 1.)

I thoroughly recommend the albums 'All Is Dream' and 'Deserters Songs', the song 'Holes' especially if you haven't already heard them. Beatiful music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:23 pm 
Geordie Admin Dominatrix

Me and my mates being sprayed with cold water by security blokes at Bruce Springsteen's '85 concert at St Jame's Park.....we were right at the front of the stage, it was a red hot day......again, not an epiphany during a track, but a moment all the same....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

boltonlass2 wrote:
2 more have occured to me.
Pet Shop Boys 1999 (i am aware i may not have quite the same taste in music as others on here) Being Boring - new version where they were dressed in fright wigs and samurai clothing. When the music broke, Everyone fell down on stage in unison and strobe lighting flashed everywhere. Very theatrical.

Mercury Rev - The opening bars of 'The Funny Bird' when the bass went right through my heart. Came out of the gig feeling much closer to them that i had previously and didn't mind that i'd missed the last train and had to wait in the October cold until half past one in the morning. (well, i did start thinking i would never be warm again by about 20 past 1.)

I thoroughly recommend the albums 'All Is Dream' and 'Deserters Songs', the song 'Holes' especially if you haven't already heard them. Beatiful music.

Mercury Rev were quite stunning when I saw them alright. only saw them once but I believe the new album isnt that far away so hopefully tour to follow,

For where you can't go
Mustang horses, champagne glasses
Anything frail anything wild
It's the price of living motion, what's beautiful is broken
And grace is just the measure of a fall.