Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:38 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:38 pm 
On Wednesday March 19th we're at The Grapes with a fine 3 act line up headed by the ever popular Brighouse singer/songwriter Roger Davies. Add in to the mix some dark Countryesque ballads from The Listeners and top off with a stripped back acoustic set from our old friends The Hopper Ward, and you have a mightily tasty looking edition of The Wagon's Wheels. Doors open at 8pm and entry is £4.

***ROGER DAVIES***

Roger Davies is making a name for himself as one of todays most entertaining acoustic folk singer songwriters. He's from Brighouse, West Yorkshire, but if people ask, sometimes he says he's from Huddersfield, just because more people probably know where that is. He has previously released 2 CD's, his 'Littletown' album and his 'Northern Trash' single, and is currently promoting the release of his new album also called 'Northern Trash'. More than anything else, Roger is a folkie kind of guy who writes his own songs, sings, plays a guitar, and sometimes blows a harmonica as well. Sandman Magazine said about the Northern Trash single "It's a countryish shuffle beat stroll celebrating stereotyped Northern Culture with a wink and a tongue in cheek. There's definitely a bit of charm in with the craft here. Worth looking out for." Described as a cross between Johnny Cash and George Formby, and similarly counting the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Richard Thompson and Jesse Malin amoung his influences, we're delighted to be welcoming back the man who headlined the first ever WagonWheelMedia gig.

"There is a potentially huge talent emerging in our midst" Tykes News.

http://www.myspace.com/rogerdaviesmusic

***THE LISTENERS***

The Listeners are an acoustic duo from the North of England. They have been together for two years having played on the same circuit for several years in different bands. Emma Thorpe provides the main voice, a velvet glove softening the punch, delivering her songs with, in turn, uncompromising invective and heart on sleeve insight. Robert Cook, as well as adding a dark baritone voice, brings his rootsy rock guitar credentials to The Listeners feast. The Listeners have won over audiences from many genres...surf punk, rock and folk music.The band have a growing reputation on the acoustic underground scene in the North of England and have been favourites of BBC radio presenters and University radio DJ's, having performed many live sessions. The duo have recently been working on a collection of songs 'Magnus Colorado' which has just gone to press. The project has been produced by Ewan Davies who has worked with many artists, from Arctic Monkeys to The Editors.

"Like P.J Harvey......pissed off, unplugged and wearing a kaftan!" Music Mart Magazine 2007

http://www.myspace.com/thelisteners

***THE HOPPER WARD***

One half of Doncaster's experimental country popsters The Hopper Ward are welcomed back to Sheffield for a special acoustic set. Influenced by the classic songwriters of the 60's and 70's, American folk, rocksteady, psychedelia and Yorkshire Tea, and with a regular line up featuring banjo and stylophone, it's fair to say this is not your average band. Tonight they'll be showcasing some new material. Hard to pigeon hole, but a band you'll find even harder to forget. They've had several plays on Steve Lamacq's BBC Radio 2 show for the song 'SAD' which is taken from their recent 'Trigger' EP.

http://www.myspace.com/thehopperward

Last edited by CraigA on Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:26 pm 
The Hopper Ward are now no longer playing this due to a family bereavement, replacement details soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:20 pm 
And that replacement will be:

Richard Kitson

Richard has played in several bands over the years and is currently fronting his own three piece blues/rock band The Richard Kitson Band. Lying somewhere between folk and blues, his acoustic songs tend to reflect upon experiences, places, and relationships. He uses his solo gigs as an opportunity to pay homage to the bluesmen who started it all and also to excercise his softer troubador side with his fusion of country, delta blues and folk. Richard playied last year's Moor Music Festival in Ilkley where he kept alive the spirit of the likes of Big Bill Broonzy and Blind Boy Fuller with a nod to the likes of current day stars Seasick Steve and Tom Waits. Tonight Richard plays solo having most recently been treating us to some of his electric band performances.

"Richard Kitson is fantastic" Sandman Magazine, July 2007.

www.myspace.com/richardkitson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:15 am 
Tonight!

Will have some free CDs on the door from Italian garage band Gold Rust who are playing West Street Live next month (20th) and i think there are a few free wagon wheels too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:09 pm 
The Boss

the listeners were fucking brilliant i really enjoyed last night Craig shame you didn't make it to fagans Roger Davies did a storming version of one of his tunes that everyone loved in the pub,your doing something unique and i will try and support you as much as i can,good to see Dave and Nick too i really wish more of the local forum lot would come down too,these nights need supporting not ignoring something important is happening cos of Craig and his massive wagon wheels are rollin..........don't piss and moan that there's nothing good to go and see its happening NOW i think its a legendary night be part of it..rally the troops,scour the hamlets for soldiers there's a quiet revolution going on where the fuck are you????????????

you don't miss your water.........till your river runs dry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:11 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Richard Hawley wrote:
you don't miss your water.........till your river runs dry

:shock: That song just came on. (Off topic, I know, but you scared me.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:14 pm 
The Boss

I KNOW MANY THINGS............A HA HA HA HA HA HA :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:18 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:23 pm 
Original Hippy

It was a reyt good night, lovely vibe, but to echo the boss, the dismal attendance is a disgrace to a city of this size for acts as good as these. For people who haven't been, its not a West Street Live type of set up where you often have to sit through some "honest tryers" before a decent band comes on. The quality of act at Craig's gigs is uniformly high.

Eels on Satdi night will cap off a week of fantastic gigs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:08 pm 
Hawleytastic!

NickD wrote:
For people who haven't been, its not a West Street Live type of set up where you often have to sit through some "honest tryers" before a decent band comes on..

You can say it, its ok Nick. i wont be offended...... :wink:

NEWLY UPDATED!!!! Feel Free To Stop By...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:18 pm 
Original Hippy

Dave Woodcock wrote:
NickD wrote:
For people who haven't been, its not a West Street Live type of set up where you often have to sit through some "honest tryers" before a decent band comes on..

You can say it, its ok Nick. i wont be offended...... :wink:

You know exactly what I mean, Wooders!!

I wasn't talking about Craig's WSL gigs, especially last Sunday. You know the sorts of nights in there that I mean. The ones where you have to sit through a bunch of Arctic Monkeys wannabees...........................

Anyway, you take care of yersen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:21 pm 
Hawleytastic!

:*: :wink:

NEWLY UPDATED!!!! Feel Free To Stop By...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:29 pm 
Richard Hawley wrote:
don't piss and moan that there's nothing good to go and see its happening NOW i think its a legendary night be part of it..rally the troops,scour the hamlets for soldiers there's a quiet revolution going on where the fuck are you????????????

That's going on the website! :wink: Erm yeah, ta to them who bothered and that. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:27 pm 
So there'll be more Listeners action at Americana Night on Sunday May 4th (bank holiday the day after too!) along with Roseville Grand (www.myspace.com/rosevillegrand) and from Tulsa via Essex, Bob Collum & The Welfare Mothers (www.myspace.com/bobcollumthewelfaremother). 8pm and just the price of a pint! (£3)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:51 pm 
Hawleytastic!

balls, i'm playing with The River Rats then, keep saying i'll make it to one of these do's,they always seems to fall when were gigging though............... :(

www.myspace.com/roamingson
www.facebook.com/roamingsonuk
www.facebook.com/marklyall