Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Sat May 18, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:22 pm 
Gimmie 6 !

well i walked it to the towers last night from my house all the way down the canal to see them be demolished.

I have no special love or fetish for them, they are just something i am used to seeing. Going on holiday and seeing them, i knew i was nearly home, or going into Sheffield when i lived in Rotherham, they were the last point of Rotherham before i hit Sheffield.

I am sad to see that nothing was really considered to be done with them, i read that the acoustics inside the venue are.... were amazing and it could have been some sort of live music venue! If the people that have ordered this to be brought down weren't so driven by money then i suppose it might have been considered, money could have been spent on saving them rather than destruction and clear up.

Anyway thats my piece/peace

Good by old girls i'll miss seeing ya.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:17 pm 
snapper wrote:
which could have been built on any number of unused landspaces could it not? (I did mean replaced by something as visually impressive that people could've, y'know, *enjoyed*. Quoting me out of context you scoundrel!).

And in which case you'd have all the hippy bastards up in arms about green land being used for industry. What's a better tribute, a renewable energy source or a white elephant? And it's ok people saying Eon should have spent the money on preserving the towers. Eon are a business and you'd have been the first to complain when you're electric bills went up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:17 pm 
snapper wrote:
which could have been built on any number of unused landspaces could it not? (I did mean replaced by something as visually impressive that people could've, y'know, *enjoyed*. Quoting me out of context you scoundrel!).

And in which case you'd have all the hippy bastards up in arms about green land being used for industry. What's a better tribute, a renewable energy source or a white elephant? And it's ok people saying Eon should have spent the money on preserving the towers. Eon are a business and you'd have been the first to complain when you're electric bills went up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:32 pm 
Hawleytastic!

TOWERS GO BOOM-BOOM!!!!!

NEWLY UPDATED!!!! Feel Free To Stop By...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:35 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Dave that's so descriptive! :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:38 pm 
Hawleytastic!

eeeerrrrr....i don't think i'm supposed to drink on this medication. hope they got all the little people out of the towers before they blowed them up.

NEWLY UPDATED!!!! Feel Free To Stop By...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:48 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Dave Woodcock wrote:
eeeerrrrr....i don't think i'm supposed to drink on this medication. hope they got all the little people out of the towers before they blowed them up.

Yep - I think one has taken over our Luke as he told a joke the other day! :*:

(Only kidding Luke - good to see you laughing for a change! :wink: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

snapper wrote:

CraigA wrote:
And in which case you'd have all the hippy bastards up in arms about green land being used for industry.

I couldn't give a toss what the hippies think but if it makes them feel warmer inside then I'll change "unsused" to "derelict".

Quote:
What's a better tribute, a renewable energy source or a white elephant?

In black and white terms like that obviously the former. It needn't have become a white elephant though and in my opinion with people like Gormley & Kapoor on board probably wouldn't have been.

Quote:
And it's ok people saying Eon should have spent the money on preserving the towers. Eon are a business and you'd have been the first to complain when you're electric bills went up.

Eon are a business yes, with their main responsibility being to turn a profit for their shareholders. Thing is this industry has been rightfully getting a good kicking for maintaining it's ridiculous profits & bonuses to shareholders & CEO's whilst doubling their prices. If the price of power on the market is rising then they, as well as the public, should take a hit. That's what I complain about and the whole industry should be renationalised along with every other essential service that the hag Thatcher sold off (oh, sorry wrong thread). But anyway, for a multinational to forgo that bit of land & build the power station elsewhere would not have taken such a big mouthful of food away from them + would have given them some badly needed good PR. But it's "oh no, lets blow them up.." Pfft..

- http://www.chrismsaunders.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:18 pm 
snapper wrote:
snapper wrote:

CraigA wrote:
And in which case you'd have all the hippy bastards up in arms about green land being used for industry.

I couldn't give a toss what the hippies think but if it makes them feel warmer inside then I'll change "unsused" to "derelict".

Problem with that is how many derelict/unused landscapes would be in a place suitable for a power station? Blackburn Meadows is perfectly situated as everything required is already there.

Quote:
Quote:
What's a better tribute, a renewable energy source or a white elephant?

In black and white terms like that obviously the former. It needn't have become a white elephant though and in my opinion with people like Gormley & Kapoor on board probably wouldn't have been.

I'll take black & white facts over a personal opinion anyday. :wink:

Quote:
Quote:
And it's ok people saying Eon should have spent the money on preserving the towers. Eon are a business and you'd have been the first to complain when you're electric bills went up.

Eon are a business yes, with their main responsibility being to turn a profit for their shareholders. Thing is this industry has been rightfully getting a good kicking for maintaining it's ridiculous profits & bonuses to shareholders & CEO's whilst doubling their prices. If the price of power on the market is rising then they, as well as the public, should take a hit. That's what I complain about and the whole industry should be renationalised along with every other essential service that the hag Thatcher sold off (oh, sorry wrong thread). But anyway, for a multinational to forgo that bit of land & build the power station elsewhere would not have taken such a big mouthful of food away from them + would have given them some badly needed good PR. But it's "oh no, lets blow them up.." Pfft..
[/quote]

Whilst i agree they should be doing more to absorb the already rising prices, i'd rather they knocked £20 a month off my direct debit than have th pleasure of seeing some red sheep or something at the side of the M1. As for it not being such a big mouthful of food, it's not a simple fact of how much another piece of land would cost, there are a whole host of other costs involved too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:49 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Cooling Towers, a twin towers experience of sorts, planned and executed to an engineering excellence in both cases but alas for different reasons and goals. The Towers in Sheffield represented a Sheffield from a lost period of prosperity and export of finery.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:59 pm 
Hawleytastic!

My mate Dale was driving an american band in the UK and as they approached the towers he said they were all going "oh my gawwwdddd what is this place, those towers are so beautiful". Suffice to say he was pissing himself.

Personally I've always liked the towers, they were a milestone on an otherwise boring M1 and you knew you were nearly home from wherever and therefore comforted by the sight. Meadowhall doesn't have the same effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:38 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

hairyonion wrote:
My mate Dale was driving an american band in the UK and as they approached the towers he said they were all going "oh my gawwwdddd what is this place, those towers are so beautiful". Suffice to say he was pissing himself.

Personally I've always liked the towers, they were a milestone on an otherwise boring M1 and you knew you were nearly home from wherever and therefore comforted by the sight. Meadowhall doesn't have the same effect.

The "cooling period" is over, Sheffield once a great manufacturing giant of quality steel has succumbed to the rubbish from China, India etc. There is still a small core of companies making good quality steel products in Steel City, bet the bloody steel is imported !