Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:14 pm 
Regular poster

I can't believe it's 20 years ago today I first saw Richard at The Astoria in London. My friend wanted to see Frank Black and got two tickets. Although I liked The Pixies, I didn't follow Frank Black's music after their split so only went because my friend wanted to see Frank. The support act came on, the front-man mumbled something and they started playing. I was absolutely entranced by the music, it was just so different and what a voice this guy had. My friend and I were knocked out by what we heard. No disrespect to Frank Black, but the support act was better by far. I didn't catch the name of the band and it took me ages afterwards to find out it was Richard Hawley. I'm so glad I did as I was a fan from that point on. I couldn't wait to get hold of the first mini-album and have been a fan ever since. I've got all the records and seen Richard play at least 7 times. One of my favourite places was the Truelove's Gutter tour at the De La Warr theatre in Bexhill. A spellbinding gig and afterwards I had a short conversation with Shez & Colin - 2 thoroughly nice blokes!

I guess the moral of the story is, always watch the support act, you never know who you may come across!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:59 pm 
Site Admin

Mark wrote:
I can't believe it's 20 years ago today I first saw Richard at The Astoria in London. My friend wanted to see Frank Black and got two tickets. Although I liked The Pixies, I didn't follow Frank Black's music after their split so only went because my friend wanted to see Frank. The support act came on, the front-man mumbled something and they started playing. I was absolutely entranced by the music, it was just so different and what a voice this guy had. My friend and I were knocked out by what we heard. No disrespect to Frank Black, but the support act was better by far. I didn't catch the name of the band and it took me ages afterwards to find out it was Richard Hawley. I'm so glad I did as I was a fan from that point on. I couldn't wait to get hold of the first mini-album and have been a fan ever since. I've got all the records and seen Richard play at least 7 times. One of my favourite places was the Truelove's Gutter tour at the De La Warr theatre in Bexhill. A spellbinding gig and afterwards I had a short conversation with Shez & Colin - 2 thoroughly nice blokes!

I guess the moral of the story is, always watch the support act, you never know who you may come across!

Exactly. Same for me although it was someone else who recommended a support group they had seen (it was Cousteau - now CousteauX) which in turn led me to Richard Hawley (via a fellow Cousteau fan who used to be on this forum).

The only time I missed a support act was at a Tindersticks gig at RFH where the person who gave me their ticket asked me to acquire a special 7" they were only selling at that gig and the queue was long, otherwise I will always be there for an entire gig.

I was at the Astoria as well (centre front if I remember correctly . . . .) fantastic gig.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music