Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Bristol 2nd October
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:04 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Apologies if someone has already made a topic.

It's been a few years since I've had the opportunity to see Mr. H with all the band (last show was the unplugged one in York, last band show was Liverpool on Hollow Meadows tour), and the first time in Bristol.

The academy was a good little venue, felt really intimate - the balcony at the top made it feel a bit like being in TFI Friday. Great crowd as well, nobody talking through the set, trying to barge to the front, holding phones up for entire songs, it just struck me as a load of fans wanting to watch the show and listen to the music, it was really refreshing.

As for the show itself, I think it was the best I've seen the band play since I first started going to see them (Lady's Bridge tour). The set list was, for me, pretty near perfect, absolute killer, and the band were really tight. What stood out for me is that Mr. H has such a broad range of styles to choose from in the back catalogue now, the result is that the set is really balanced, whereas previously it's always leaned more towards either the ballad or rocky side of things.

Galley Girl was as great live as I thought it would be, as was Is there a pill. Time Is unexpectedly blew my head off (Clive was absolutely fantastic), hope it stays in the set in the future, it was great. Midnight Train was lovely too. It's always good to hear a song that hasn't had an airing in a while, and I was absolutely made up that we got I'm looking for someone to find me, haven't heard it live for a long, long time. It reminded me of going to my first shows, one in particular was Parr Hall in Warrington, a tiny little venue. Watching tonight centre front, in a similarly small venue, it was a flashback to my early 20's on a personal level, and an opportunity to take stock of how Mr H has continued changing musically, without ever losing his way.

No outing for The Ocean tonight, which I do love, but I can't really complain. For me, an opportunity to see Mr. H and the boys live is an opportunity to smile, to cry, to heal, to feel like part of a cool little club, and ultimately an opportunity to feel really happy. In such divided times, I think I needed that more than usual, and last night delivered, in spades.

Thanks Mr. H, you're the best. 8)

Post subject: Re: Bristol 2nd October
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:40 pm 
Newcomer

Hello BD - agree wholeheartedly with your post about Bristol last night, I was on the centre balcony too.
The sound at Bristol O2 Academy can be dodgy to say the least but the set sounded so clear last night and refreshing that people around us weren't yacking through quieter numbers as they were at Earth Hackney back in May.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:29 pm 
The Boss

Thanks for the positive vibes folks....for Dublin as well....just so you know we all decided to drop the Ocean for a while as we felt it was getting a bit tired, we’ve played it as the last song in the set since it was written and there are other songs, hope that doesn’t disappoint but change is a good thing

Thanks again

R ..>

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:57 pm 
Regular

'Storm' was outstanding in Liverpool, Richard. Thankyou.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:38 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Well, what a blessing to see two great shows on this tour. Bristol was mind-blowingly tight only 4 shows in, and Richard up for the Bristol banter- his daughter having been subjected to local traditions whilst at Uni in the city
Roundhouse is one of my favourite spaces, and with the strings Thursday the sound was complete. On the front rail with some forum friends it was very special - amazed at the number of guitar changes in the set - the tireless tech was like a whirling dervish.
Taken me a while to adjust to the rockier output but it’s technically so brilliant, I’m now eagerly anticipating Woods, Storm, and Sky’s Edge in the set
This set was, has been said above, perfectly balanced. Shez was a little understated this time, in my opinion, but as good as ever in tandem tight with Richard on everything.
For your lover was a treat in London.
However returning to my balladeer roots the perfect rendition of Don’t stare at the sun will stay with me a very long time - it showcases the contrast in Richard’s compositions - stunningly beautiful melody and trailblazing rock, all wrapped up in one song.
Divine Comedy and Richard in the same week takes some beating.
Can’t wait for the next time. Thanks all involved in getting the show on