Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 6:29 pm 
Newcomer

Hi RH Forum! I don’t know how many countless livid dreams I’ve had where I’m at a Richard Hawley show and realize I’m in a dream. Just by searching online, it looks like Richard never makes it to the states for live shows or tours. I have a few bucks, vacation time and decided to fly to London on October 2nd and return home on the 10th to finally come to HIM. I bought tickets for Oxford, Manchester and Liverpool shows so far.

I plan on being in London from the October 3rd until the morning of the 6th to head to Oxford for my first ever Richard Hawley show. If anyone here is familiar with or from London, any ideas where to stay in London that's centralized to landmarks/attractions/subway? Any suggestions on what to do in London on this shotgun, spur of the moment trip? Any must see places and things that are a must to do?

Also, I know that London deserves it's own thought out vacation planning but this trip is mostly just for Richard Hawley. Since this is my first time in London, I would like to take advantage of this incredible city. I appreciate your help and input. And hopefully maybe meeting some of you at one of the 3 shows I'll be attending. I'll be the dork at the front of the stage in awe. This is seriously a dream come true! ~ Christian

:P :D :) :o :HOORAY :alien: :bom: :cyclopsani: :compress: :dj: :dj: :dj: :thumleft:

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 7:58 pm 
Site Admin

What are your interests - museums, art, basic sightseeing?

You can order a Visitor Oyster Card for use on tubes and buses from the London Transport website which gives you discounts on some places.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 9:40 pm 
Newcomer

Dawoodcock wrote:
What are your interests - museums, art, basic sightseeing?

You can order a Visitor Oyster Card for use on tubes and buses from the London Transport website which gives you discounts on some places.

I'd like to check out only one museum so I want to make that count. I went to several in Spain and felt like I was indoors all day and I'm more of an outdoor person. That being said, I love going to museum and love art.

I hear Big Ben is underconstruction but will probably still swing by and return during my proper London trip in the future. Yes, any basic must see sightseeing sights. :)

Thank you for the Visitor Oyster Card option. I'll look into it. Could I use it when I'm in transit between London to Oxford, Oxford to Manchester, etc?

Thanks again for your help! ..>

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 11:41 pm 
Site Admin

The oyster card is just London.

If you are interested in art and design The V&A (Victoria and Albert) is a good place to go, and next door to that is the Natural History Museum. If you prefer antiquities then the British Museum. Just art then Tate Britain/Tate Modern.

Historic buildings probably the Tower of London. The number 15 bus from Trafalgar Square to the Tower is a bus route that takes you on a nice ride through the city, pretty much following the path of the River Thames. Sometimes the buses on that route are the old Route Master ones.

If the weather is good then St James Park is a nice place to walk and is close to Westminster Abbey and Buckingham Palace (the palace won't be open in October but there is the Queens Gallery just behind it which has good exhibitions).

Personally I'd pick the V&A which has a huge amount of different displays, from the cast court full of casts of statuary from around the wall, metalwork, stained glass, fashion, textiles, silverware, jewellery, usually at least two paying exhibitions (the main museum is free), good coffee shop, theatre memorabilia and a lot more.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:04 pm 
Hawleytastic!

You might consider one of these train passes - if you buy train tickets on the day, it'll cost you a fortune! https://www.visitbritainshop.com/world/ ... l-gb-pass/

Another useful site to buy train tickets is this one - https://www.thetrainline.com

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:09 pm 
Too much time on my hands

I did this back in 2007 when he's was touring Lady's Bridge. Also from SF, realized he didn't really do the states, bought a ticket to his Roundhouse show in London and spent 6 days, mostly killing time to see his gig. It was brilliant and worth it! Then he came to the states and got to see him at Cafe Du Nord, which was also brilliant. I've been thinking about trying to go to Sheffield this time, but probably won't get the $$ together. Have a blast!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:25 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Ciboboyeee wrote:
Thank you for the Visitor Oyster Card option. I'll look into it. Could I use it when I'm in transit between London to Oxford, Oxford to Manchester, etc?

Probably guys from London will be able to help you better, but if you cannot get a railway ticket at a reasonable price, you might consider the Oxford Tube, a coach that runs every fifteen minutes or so (it costs £9, and you cannot use the Oyster Card in it, as it is a London thing). It takes around one hour more to get there, depending on the traffic, but if you're not in a hurry, it might not be very annoying. Actually, I prefer coaches to trains.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:44 am 
Newcomer

I'm a Brit in Chicago, travelling into the UK the same week!

The Oyster card only works in London, on the suburban trains, tube, (that's bart to you!), and buses. Outside of London you buy individual tickets, either a single (one way) or a return, (round trip).
https://tfl.gov.uk/
TfL stands for Transport for London, and its the central organization that covers all transit, including river ferries and bicycle rental.

But book your trains outside of London ahead of time. Like 3 weeks ahead. If you buy after that, the price gradually creeps up, and buying on the day is just crazy money, don't do it.

Start here, to look at tickets, routes, and schedules.
https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Airbnb is your best bet for central London, or if you don't mind a somewhat crazy hostel, then go to Abercorn Hostel in Hammersmith. Its a great location for transit, but without the downtown prices.
I actually lived in that building in the 1980s, but its much better now!

LMK if you need more help with travel or other planning. I won't be in London that week, but am aiming to get to the gigs in Liverpool and / or Birmingham. I have family at both locations, so I don't have a clue about accomodation there, sorry!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:58 am 
Newcomer

Things to do in London.
If the weather is good, think about the London Eye, its on the south bank, and you stand by Big Ben looking across the Westminster Bridge, you can't miss it.
But don't book it in advance, its pointless if the weather is crap, you can't see a thing!

Big Ben is under wraps, but Westminster Abbey is right next door and worth a look!
Check out a boat trip down the Thames, there are several that start out by Big Ben and have a really good commentary, you will learn a lot of history in an hour!
You can hop off at Tower Bridge and go see the Tower of London, and then its only a short walk to St Pauls Cathedral, and also if you can get a ticket, (free, online) consider having lunch at the top of the walkie talkie building, the views are amazing.

Returning to Big Ben by boat you can then wander across to St James Park, taking in the Cabinet War Rooms museum if you have time. and then continue across the park to Buckingham Palace.

For a more west side day, you can do a walking tour including Covent Garden, the transport museum, the Strand, Trafalgar Square, with great views along the Mall to Buckingham Palace.
If you have time, a walk or (rental) bike ride will take you across Hyde Park, towards Kensington Palace, including the Serpentine and the Albert Memorial, and the Royal Albert Hall.
Old Albert got a clean up last year, he is now a very impressive shiny gold memorial, and they light it very nicely at night.

There are also several open top bus tours, usually the "hop on, hop off" type that you use to get from one location to the next, once you have walked enough for one day!
Do your homework and you might find one that includes the boat trip on the same ticket.

London Bus maps are easy to read, but don't forget us Brits use the 24 hour clock, the one you call military time, so learn to read the schedules accordingly. You can use your Oyster card on any bus EXCEPT the tour buses, which are from a different company.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:41 am 
Site Admin

Regarding the boats on the Thames, some of them are a river bus service rather than tourist boats, you don't get the commentary but you do get a bar and a good view. I've done the trip from Greenwich to Westminster (goes on to Waterloo/London Eye) and costs less than the other boats. If you've time Greenwich itself is lovely, particularly on a fine day.

Westminster Abbey - book ahead on line as you jump the queue and if you want to see the new galleries way up book that at the same time but allow yourself around half an hour between entry time for the Abbey and accessing the new part as you have to follow the crowds round the Abbey to get to the lift to the upper galleries.

St Pauls is fantastic, particularly if you have an interest in Victorian Art as a lot of the painters are interred there or have memorials in the crypt. From there you could then walk across the wobbly bridge and head to Tate Modern.

If you have a Twitter account, whilst in London it could be worth following the London buses twitter account as they advise fairly quickly of diversions, particularly Central London where marches and demos take place on a daily basis which can also affect pedestrian access to areas.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:09 pm 
Newcomer

Thank you everyone for our recommendations! I had a couple fun nights in London and I’m now in Oxford for night #1 of 3 of seeing Richard! I don’t know why I have a fear that I may wake up and this could all be a dream. I’m beyond excited for tonight. Anyone else going to be in Oxford tonight? Manchester or Liverpool? I’ll be waiting at the venues a couple hours before doors open so say hello. I’ll be the one with the American accent. I am ready! 8) :D :Hoorah