Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:55 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Well done for getting tickets, have a great time, and report back. :thumleft:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:55 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Hi Josie, Will be wearing a floral circle dress (probably). You need to dress in 50s or 60s glam clothes apparently but don't exactly have a wardrobe bulging with glam so they'll have to make sure the camera is pointed elsewhere! Not that I mind that! What about you? What shall I look out for? xx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:27 pm 
Too much time on my hands

I thought this was a wind up, :shock: Could't find any info'on it anywhere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:00 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Hi Helen. I think I'll be wearing a mustard yellow pleated chiffon dress (so long as it still fits!) I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. No idea how many people will be there but fingers crossed we find each other. Less than 24 hours to go - whoop!! x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:27 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Just as well I didn't know about this - I don't have a suitable dress :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:39 am 
Hawleytastic!

loftyeric2 wrote:
Just as well I didn't know about this - I don't have a suitable dress :*:

Same. It's too late now, though we really did try to make it.

(I'm so sorry)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:41 am 
Hawleytastic!

Scrub that Josie. It says cocktail dress, whatever that is! Very sophisticated answer Al... I got that one. x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:18 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Will tonight be a lasting treasure? Or just a moment's pleasure.

My money's on the former.

(Sorry Alan - yours was better!) :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:18 am 
Site Admin

The show will be broadcast on 22nd December.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:11 am 
Hawleytastic!

So just back from a freezing school run but just thought I'd let you know about last night.
Firstly, thank you expano for passing on the tip because it was a brilliant night, really, really enjoyed it. The line up was H, The Puppini Sisters, The Mummers, Carole King and Gregory Porter (who I will come on to later). It was Christmas themed and is due to go out on Dec 22 on BBC4.
The Puppini Sisters are a sort of forties harmony trio, who were good fun and very proficient – my dad, who is a great fan of Glenn Miller and the big swing bands would loved them.
The Mummers were also very good – the girl played a xylophone and one of those mouth pianos that kids have, which was unusual but fun.
H and the band were fantastic as ever, looking sharp and musically tight – they played Silent Night, Baby You're My Light, For Your Lover Give Some Time and Blue Xmas.
As it was the BBC, you weren't allowed to do quite a lot, like take photos or dance or stand up – thought Richard was hampered by his inability to swear lots and tell a few dodgy jokes but this is Aunty darling so you can't do that kind of thing.
Carole King was I thought a bit disappointing – mainly because I suppose when you listen to someone iconic you sort of always want them to sing your own personal playlist of favourites. I've always loved Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow, I think it sums up some of the dilemmas of being a teenager more perfectly than anything I've ever heard but she didn't do that, more's the pity.
Anyway on to Gregory Porter, who I am afraid stole the show. A jazz singer from New York with a hat and beard protector, he just had the most beautiful voice. His rendition of Up On The Roof had everybody jiggling in their seats, but not dancing as this is the BBC.
For Your Lover came straight after him and I felt sorry for Richard cos you sort of couldn't follow that. But H did a brilliant job and it was beautiful. You could've heard a pin drop around me – quite a few people in the audience didn't really know who Richard was and were commenting about how lovely it was. Always brings tears to my eyes that song, it's the how strange our love has grown line. Gets me every time.
ANYWAY, to sum it all up. A really gorgeous evening, H and the band fantastic, Gregory Porter a revelation and Stokey Town Hall looked beautiful. After much deliberating on dresses, I didn't look too bad for an old bird and sat with Josie who is great company and looked very glam. Have a photo we took on the quiet which I will put up when I figure out how.
Downside, if there was one, is that the audience were a bit odd, a curious mix of people who'd mostly done this sort of thing before. I brought a friend who is a school cook. She'd been working since 7 in the morning cooking 350 meals and was so excited, she hadn't eaten all day. So needless to say, she was, in a very un-BBC like way, pissed as a fart by 8 o'clock but loved Richard (In a really loud voice, after his first song: Are you sure his name's not Richard Bawley? I used to know a boy at school called Richard Bawley and the funny thing about him was, his name was Bawley, and he only had one testicle! Do you think this bloke only has one testicle? If we see him down the pub later, I'll ask him) The evening could've done with a bit more irreverence all round but we both had the time of our lives.
Oh, and in the pub, we bumped into Gregory Porter and he posed for a picture with my friend, who just fell in love with him. And got her to take a picture of me with Shez and another charming chap, but it is unusable due to her shitfacedness! And even though the best kebab house in London was five minutes away, I was good, drove home, and slept the sleep of a happy person. Thank you Richard for a lovely night and expano for being such an all round good chap in all ways. xxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:53 am 
Too much time on my hands

That's a lovely review Helen - can't wait to see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

And here are the sneaky few pics we took.

http://erniemum.tumblr.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:02 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Beauty - should have worn your tabbard to the show tho' :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:20 pm 
I need a life

Baby You're My Light......wow.... :roll:

can't wait to hear this set...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:04 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Poppy Dog wrote:
Beauty - should have worn your tabbard to the show tho' :wink:

Everybody wants that tabbard! Don't know if it's the cheeky shade of purple that does it, or the slimming side straps, or the fact that you could wear it while seeming fully clothed but, on a slight turn either way, all could easily be revealed. Whatever, people want it and most of them it has to be said are blokes. Poppy love, I'm getting you one for Christmas, I'll even throw in a badge (but watch where you stick the pin!)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next