Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Finland - Gun killings.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:02 pm 
Flange cheese munching cockend

Once again another kid with a gun has gone mental and left 11 people dead. Listening to Jeremy Vine at the moment and a debate about the whole thing. Suggestions put forward for the shootings are kids in Finland don't have a lot to do after school so spend all their time on the net. The days are too short in Finland!!??? :shock: .......or could it be Finlands slack gun laws that let anyone get hold of a firearm? :?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:20 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Dave wrote:
could it be Finlands slack gun laws that let anyone get hold of a firearm? :?

don't be daft Dave. gun laws dont have anything to do with these kind of shootings. dont you watch the news? its the films they watch, music they listen to and websites they read....... :roll:

NEWLY UPDATED!!!! Feel Free To Stop By...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:23 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I really am getting old because the first thing that came to mind was "what's the world coming to?". It's just frightening ...

and there's always someone coming up with an excuse :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:29 pm 
Flange cheese munching cockend

Apparently the kid had been planning it for years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:35 pm 
Site Admin

And still more deaths from knife wounds. Locally we just had a receptionist stabbed to death by an ex-boyfriend.

It seems to be a trend of killing people and then turning the gun on yourself.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:36 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Dave Woodcock wrote:
Dave wrote:
could it be Finlands slack gun laws that let anyone get hold of a firearm? :?

don't be daft Dave. gun laws dont have anything to do with these kind of shootings. dont you watch the news? its the films they watch, music they listen to and websites they read....... :roll:

I blame it on the trivialisation of life through some portals of modern day media formats...

Oops sorry went back into PoMo Undergraduate mode - would you like fries with that?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:27 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Poppy Dog wrote:

I blame it on the trivialisation of life through some portals of modern day media formats...

Oops sorry went back into PoMo Undergraduate mode - would you like fries with that?

Really? I'd say it was more to do with the perp's upbringing, experiences through their life etc + I'd argue that in past centuries society was prone to a lot more random violence than it is now without the media's influence. Problem is that maladjusted individuals can easily get hold of guns which make it easier for them to go on the rampage very effectively. Sure there's an issue with the glamourisation of violence in the media but that can be countered by parents giving kids good guidance. I've watched Scarface, played Grand Theft Auto, listened to hip hop blah blah blah and not felt the need to go off on one, as have most other folk.

- http://www.chrismsaunders.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:44 am 
Hawleytastic!

Yep - all those as well..

I go with former pink lady my first thoughts were 'whats the world coming to' - and why post your intention on U Tube

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:21 pm 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

Poppy Dog wrote:
Yep - all those as well..

I go with former pink lady my first thoughts were 'whats the world coming to' - and why post your intention on U Tube

And youtube is perfect for your little bit of 'fame'..(though I have to say I love youtube..but just for music stuff really)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:08 pm 
Regular poster

snapper wrote:
Poppy Dog wrote:

Really? I'd say it was more to do with the perp's upbringing, experiences through their life etc + I'd argue that in past centuries society was prone to a lot more random violence than it is now without the media's influence. Problem is that maladjusted individuals can easily get hold of guns which make it easier for them to go on the rampage very effectively. Sure there's an issue with the glamourisation of violence in the media but that can be countered by parents giving kids good guidance. I've watched Scarface, played Grand Theft Auto, listened to hip hop blah blah blah and not felt the need to go off on one, as have most other folk.

That's my take on it as well. I've never felt like putting out someone's eye after watching 'Hostel'.

I think there was a sketch on one of the Pete and Dud records where Pete was going on about how he watching something on violence in the media and after watching it he went out on a killing spree. I think this more or less highlights that no matter what you're exposed to, there's something else mentally and fundamentally going on that makes a person committ these acts.

Having said that I'd be more concerned with the effect of a dumbed down culture more than anything else though.