Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 ... 143  Next
 Post subject: Re: Insomniac's Corner.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:11 pm 
The Boss

Walking......now now.......the dogs

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:53 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Flu - not good. I'll be having the flu jab again this year, in the hope I'm in the percentage that benefit from it. Richard - giving up smoking - we're behind you all the way. Helen - isn't there something about nicotine that is therapeutic for intestinal problems? Seem to remember that from somewhere.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:01 am 
Hawleytastic!

I've got a touch of the man flu. To be honest I'm not that bad, but I'm staying in bed. I was just showing off to people about how I never get ill too.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:11 pm 
The Boss

I'm out at Porter clough with the dogs so it's not all bad,feeling a bit better ta.....and just in case your wondering im fine for all things intestinal so er........don't you worry yourself there Lofty :shock:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:22 pm 
Hawleytastic!

loftyeric2 wrote:
Flu - not good. I'll be having the flu jab again this year, in the hope I'm in the percentage that benefit from it. Richard - giving up smoking - we're behind you all the way. Helen - isn't there something about nicotine that is therapeutic for intestinal problems? Seem to remember that from somewhere.

I had the flu jab a few years back - instead of having one bad bout of flu and then being fine, I was mildly crap for 6 months. Good luck Lofty!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:01 pm 
Too much time on my hands

I also work with someone who has colitis and smokes because it makes her feel better. Maybe there is something in it after all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:04 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Richard Hawley wrote:
Funny thing is I haven't been ill for years but yeah the cigs have to go but I also have to be sober to do it.....aaaargh

*clears throat*

Um.

I wasn't gonna say a thing, unless you ever brought this up first. And you did. Mistake. :)

Now before you kick me off here for my insolence, because I understand that this none of my business, please note: I'm NOT JUDGING YOU. I was a smoker too. I understand the stress relief it brings, the social aspects of it, how perfectly it marries with a drink, how weird it feels to drink without smoking. How it kind of helps you think and concentrate, because it gives your hands and body a focus so that it clears your mind. And how it can be something of a security blanket that protects against being uncomfortable when you're in a crowd of people. And how it can keep weight off. And how it's kind of a prop that has become a part of your persona. And how it is so good for replacing other vices. And how just the sight of someone smoking (in person! on TV! in a movie!), or the mere smell of it, are Pavlovian triggers. Wow, it sounds great, doesn't it! Mmm, delicious smoky treats! Can I bum one?

I get it.

Over the years you have probably heard everything everybody has to say about smoking, quitting, methods, health/financial/miscellaneous benefits, and then some. You have probably sat under heavy preaching and unsolicited advice from all and sundry. So I'm going to skip all that.

No idea how much you smoke or when you started, or how many times you've tried to quit, or how long you've been able to go without when you do try. No idea what methods you may have employed. But you have to try again, and keep trying until it sticks. It's possible you may not be able to quit cold turkey, maybe you'll need to do it gradually. You might need some extra nicotine help. Don't be too proud to admit that. You may not even be able to quit entirely. But let's say your smoking is on a 10; even if you to get it down to a 2, that's still immensely helpful. Even if you never get it down to zero.

Good sir, you write all the time about the people you love, the places you love, about hope, about second chances. Those things are real. Nothing else is. Everything else is bullshit. So stay here for those things! Don't leave. Don't cheat yourself, don't cheat your loved ones. Smoking is a thief. Cancer is a thief. Do not let it rob you, stay here and live instead. We've all lost people to this, and one more is just too many.

That's all I got, man. I will cheerlead for you till the cows come home, you've got a mountain of people behind you, and if there's anybody in the world who can do it, it's you. Look at all the shit you've already been through. Think about it, think about what a survivor you are. Man, fuck smoking! This is doable. This is something you can get on top of. You can do this--so do it! SHUT. IT. DOWN. Now. For good.

Apologies. I've got a mouth on me. This is widely known. But it was just too important for me to stay quiet. :)

*hides*

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:27 pm 
The Boss

Er......thanks

All I say to myself is"I'm not buying a pack,and I'm not going to the pub or the off license or the dealer.......today"

That's my way of doing it,it's worked for the Persian rugs for 16/17 years so we'll see but thanks ..>

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:33 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

..>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:45 am 

And just to chuck in my ..> too :thumright:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:49 am 
The Boss

But today.....I might........i don't like being trapped by yes or no.....hold on that's a good line......give me a minute :study: :dj:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:31 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Richard Hawley wrote:
i don't like being trapped by yes or no.....

Dude, nobody does. :) You can't tell from my last post, but I hate speaking in absolutes. And being spoken to in absolutes. I know how abhorrent it is to be told to do (or not do) this or that. I say that with a complete lack of irony, even though I LITERALLY JUST TOLD you to stop smoking. Maddening, isn't it? ;)

You'd think I'd know better. My whole life I've struggled with weight. Up and down, all the time. And I can't even count how many people who have thought they were being helpful by telling me I needed to lose weight or that I should go on a diet. There's nothing like bossy people to make your hair stand on end. I need to lose weight? Well, no fucking shit. Golly, do you really think so? Gee, thanks so much for your input! Yes indeed; I am well aware I need to do that, Captain Obvious. :shock:

But there was just one teensy problem with all of my indignance and their presumption: at the end of the day, they were right and they meant well and I just didn't want to hear it. I could feel self-righteous about it all I wanted (STILL DO if I'm honest), but it still wouldn't change the fact that I needed to lose weight. I don't like it, but I know they're right. Nosy, pesky do-gooders!

Seriously, like you, I truly despise shoulds and should nots. I didn't mean to sound like an authoritarian finger-pointer--I just got all fired up and excited thinking about Richard Hawley quitting smoking, because wow. :) My bad. ..>

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:14 pm 
Site Admin

Richard Hawley wrote:
But today.....I might........i don't like being trapped by yes or no.....hold on that's a good line......give me a minute :study: :dj:

In relation to the beer, fags or Persian rugs ? :elephant:

For where you can't go
Mustang horses, champagne glasses
Anything frail anything wild
It's the price of living motion, what's beautiful is broken
And grace is just the measure of a fall.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:39 am 

I have, up until recently, managed to avoid cold callers getting my mobile number, so I was pissed off to start getting calls from an accident claims company. Then it dawned on me to assign them their own ringtone. Found the perfect one - a 10 seconds of silence MP3. Smart arse :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:05 am 
Hawleytastic!

loftyeric2 wrote:
I have, up until recently, managed to avoid cold callers getting my mobile number, so I was pissed off to start getting calls from an accident claims company. Then it dawned on me to assign them their own ringtone. Found the perfect one - a 10 seconds of silence MP3. Smart arse :twisted:

What a good idea, Lofty! Might pinch that one.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2138 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 ... 143  Next