Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Eels @ sheff city hall
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:32 pm 
Hawleytastic!

anyone go last sat?
i thought they were ace, didn't really know what to expect as i'd heard a lot of different repots about how they are live, when 'E' turned onstage with just a multi instrumentalist called 'Chet', i thought i was gonna be in for a dissapointing night, but no- they sounded & played ace., going through all the classic - 'Novocaine For The Soul' - 'I Like Birds' - 'souljacker', and even throwing in a cover of Led Zeps 'Good Times Bad Times' for good measure. Chet played virtually every instrument possible, guitar, drums, piano, lap steel, and even the saw, and he played them all well.
E's voice sounded great too, and the highlight for me was a cover of Elvis' 'I Can't Help Falling In Love With You'
all in all a top night, even saw Craig & Dave & the gang too..........soz for not staying to say ey up, me & mrs L pissed off to the Harlequin to see Frank White & Dale Storr........great end to the evening. :D

www.myspace.com/roamingson
www.facebook.com/roamingsonuk
www.facebook.com/marklyall

Post subject: Eels eels and Pulp!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:49 pm 
Too much time on my hands

family outing to the eels husband and slightly unwilling 13 year old. Sat through the wonderful film about E's dad and quantum mechanics -but had to move back 'cos we were sitting too near the front. THe concert itself was brilliant - Chet was very good and although we spent most of the evening looking at the back of E's head was very very good. Lucy liked to Zep song but didn't know what it was, but was converted by the end of the night -despite going to a concert with the middle aged ones. The musical dexterity of just two people was great. Highly recommended!!
Strangely, when we got home put on the telly to watch an old Jules Holland with some very young looking Eels on it and a younger un quiffed RH playing with Pulp.
The week started with the charity gig, sandwiched by Sheffield Youth Orchestra( to encourage child 1) and ended with the Eels and RH!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:53 am 
Fuck MC squared, E = Legend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:01 am 
Hawleytastic!

Saw them in Glasgow-as always totally different from the previous tour-played a lot off elctro shock blues-which was great ,nice to see the saw making a comeback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:12 am 
Hawleytastic!

that documentary at the beginning was ace, it was on telly a while ago, but i missed it, really enjoyed to say it was about mind boggling quantum physics & stuff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:24 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Saw them in Manchester. Loved it. Particularly liked them swapping instruments without interrupting the song - E going from piano to drums and Chet making the opposite journey before swapping back!

A friend saw them in gateshead and was really disappointed. Said he thought E was just going through the motions!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:37 pm 
Hawleytastic!

yeah, they did that at sheffield too, thought it was ace, all without missing a beat too!