Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:27 am 
Hawleytastic!

weller is great, end of...... dont matter whether you like him or not, he has influenced so many.

He should have had the Brits lifetime award - but maybe he has refused it?

Check out the youtube link of Town Called Malice at the recent Octagon gig, fucking awesome.

The Jam reforming is a joke - get Mika fronting them.

Buckler has not spoken to weller since 1983, which is a shame, as it would make a great headline comeback at Glasto.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:29 am 
Scone hoarding gobshite

Quote:
If you like someone, you like them.
If someone else doesn't, it's their loss and your gain.

indeed it is. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:42 pm 
Hawleytastic!

i wouldn't call him a genius but i don't know how you can say 'you do something...', 'long hot summer' and 'you're the best thing' don't stand up to anything he did with the jam. i really admire musicians who don't take the mighty dollar to rip the fans off by living on past glories.
i'm praying the rumours about zeppelin aren't true as plant has stuck to his guns and trod his own path. the page/plant was too close to a reunion for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:24 pm 
Hawleytastic!

who is paul weller?

NEWLY UPDATED!!!! Feel Free To Stop By...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:28 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

Dave Shotgun wrote:
who is paul weller?

remember now? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:29 pm 
Hawleytastic!

not ringing any bells.

NEWLY UPDATED!!!! Feel Free To Stop By...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:34 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

Dave Shotgun wrote:
not ringing any bells.

oh dave, yer dont want me entire photo album do yer?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:32 pm 
The Stalker

mph wrote:
i wouldn't call him a genius but i don't know how you can say 'you do something...', 'long hot summer' and 'you're the best thing' don't stand up to anything he did with the jam. i really admire musicians who don't take the mighty dollar to rip the fans off by living on past glories.

Pretty much my thoughts on the man. I think he comes across as too earnest, up his own arse and dismissive of others in interviews sometimes, but I do like plenty of his music - Jam, or post-Jam. Even after all these years it still seems like a very brave or contrary thing to have done, to split The Jam when he did. (Still got me Beat Surrender 7" double-pack)

Quote:
i'm praying the rumours about zeppelin aren't true as plant has stuck to his guns and trod his own path. the page/plant was too close to a reunion for me.

Are there rumours? I thought Planty had totally put this one to bed. He's even ended the Strange Sensation project because he wants to do some country stuff, hasn't he? Got tremendous respect for RP - still pushing himself artistically when he could be raking it in by doing a never-ending Zep karaoke tour.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:39 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

palerider wrote:
dismissive of others in interviews

I do recall he called John Peel a c**t a few years ago in an interview..but that was because John Peel had said Jack White was the "new jimi hendrix" :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:43 pm 
Miss fanny on fire!

hmmm paul weller eh?

never really rated the bloke - i did see jam very early on at the top rank one sunday night - not impressed with them at all and ended up leaving after 3 songs and going to the pub

i dont think theres probably anything wrong with him as a person but he's one of those people to me who's music doesn't feel like it's sincerely coming from anywhere very deep within him - it all seems very superficial and like he's 'trying' to be something he isnt

probably there are loads of people who disagree with me but that's how he comes across to me

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:28 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Are there rumours? I thought Planty had totally put this one to bed. He's even ended the Strange Sensation project because he wants to do some country stuff, hasn't he? Got tremendous respect for RP - still pushing himself artistically when he could be raking it in by doing a never-ending Zep karaoke tour.[/quote]

he hasn't disbanded strange sensation. they're playing the desert rock festival in early march in dubai and the green man festival in wales later in the year. saw him last week with the honeydrippers in dudley doing the blues thing and he's still got 'it'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:32 am 
The Stalker

mph wrote:
Quote:
Are there rumours? I thought Planty had totally put this one to bed. He's even ended the Strange Sensation project because he wants to do some country stuff, hasn't he? Got tremendous respect for RP - still pushing himself artistically when he could be raking it in by doing a never-ending Zep karaoke tour.

he hasn't disbanded strange sensation. they're playing the desert rock festival in early march in dubai and the green man festival in wales later in the year. saw him last week with the honeydrippers in dudley doing the blues thing and he's still got 'it'.

:Hoorah That's good to hear......he was bloody fantastic with the SS when I saw him in Dec 2005 and at Cornbury Festival last summer. Shit-hot band with Planty just being one of the lads rather than the big "I am" with hired hands. That last album stands up with anything he's done post-Zep, and with a lot of the later Zep stuff too, IMO

Am very envious that you got to see the Honeydrippers thing - but then I did get to see the VERY excellent Micah Paul Hinson in Brum on the same evening.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:47 pm 
Hawleytastic!

did i mention jeff beck played too? just to rub it in!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:22 am 
Newcomer

saw a few pepl saying his solo stuff isnt as good...i think as has already been said....you do something, the changing man, tracks like that stand up with any jam tracks!

he truly is a hero...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8