Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287 ... 300  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:16 am 
Regular

Interesting to see both Chuck Prophet and Dan Stuart both touring. Oh for another reunion.
Green on Red one of my favourite ever bands. "Poor old Dan"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:24 pm 
Hawleytastic!

John Grant at Birmingham Symphony Hall - a "greatest hits" type set, in preparation for the festival season. The first ever standing gig at the Symphony hall too. He said that he'd be back in the autumn touring the new album.

Then it was "The Big Weekend" - a largely Cajun/Zydeco festival featuring Harold Guillory and Drew Simon from Louisiana backed by the UK's finest Cajun/Zydeco musicians (i.e. not me). Also performing were Los Gallos with their French take on Tex-Mex and Sister Susie - a proper old-fashioned R&B hollerer and shouter who puts on a great live act.
Sister Suzie:
Drew Simon & the Flatville Aces

In-between, we played a festival in a park near Redditch, a place I've never been to before. A good day out and the folks running the festival were lovely. Visual highlight was seeing our name on the poster in one foot high letters underneath Hazel O'Connor...

Then it was off to Nottingham to see Courtney Marie Andrews - again, someone touring festivals and fitting in a few payers in-between. There was an extremely drunk and annoyingly loud lady and her equally drunk but less noisy partner on the front bar who had to be removed by security (she was one of those who thought we all wanted to hear the sound of her voice rather than the artist we'd paid to see), Once they were out of the way, it was another fine show by CMA -the soulful side of Americana and country. A very big talent indeed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:21 pm 
Hawleytastic!

So, some robbing, shitty, arsehole, tosspot scammed my boy's friend for a Reading ticket, taking £250 off him, posting an empty envelope and shutting down their PayPal account. I know it's a lesson learnt but sickens me. Means my boy probably won't end up going because he won't want to without his friend.

Anyone knows anyone selling, can they let me know? What started as a trip to celebrate their A levels has turned into a bit of a nightmare. Happy to pay and collect. xxx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:09 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Next up was a quick trip to the Smoke to see countrypolitan crooner Joshua Hedley at The Old Blue Last, a pub in Shoreditch. It was a steaming hot upstairs room and there was sweat a-plenty. Mr Hedley was playing for the first time over here with a full band - his guitarist and pedal steel were from Nashville but rhythm and bass were from the UK. It was noticeable, because they were playing on the beat and Americans who I've played with, play slightly off the beat, which gives the music more of a swing, but is interesting when you give the nod to the drummer to finish the song... That aside, it was an excellent show.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:26 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Not sure where to start with this, but here goes. I went - along with a group of friends - to the 2018 Americana Fest in Nashville. Over 400 acts were on offer, all for the price of a $75 wristband. During the daytimes, the main place to be was a bar called The Local, from where WMOT were broadcasting the sets. It had a capacity of about 150, I'd say - I saw, in there, Richard Thompson, The Milk Carton Kids, The Earls of Leicester, Asleep at the Wheel, Alejandro Escovedo and several others. The main discovery were a husband and wife duo called The War and Treaty who, accompanied by a guitarist, provided harmonious soulful tunes - quietly affecting, in content and performance as the duo were clearly loved up.
The War and Treaty
Richard Thompson
Alejandro Escovedo
Tuesday night was a real highlight - I made my way to the American Legion Post 82 - an American working man's club, basically, where they hold regular honky tonk bands on Tuesday nights with old school dancing. The back of the stage is the stars and stripes made from fairy lights and there's a rustic covered smoking area outside. The showcase here was a couple of local bands, followed by a Californian surf-country band who did a Bill Kirchen Hot Rod Lincoln style thing but with country songs. They were followed by my main reason for attending - Robbie Fulks & Linda Gail Lewis - with Redd Volkaert on guitar! A surreal, beautiful gig that was everything I hoped it would be. (I went on to see them another three times that week) After Robbie and Linda, it was the turn of Jim Lauderdale in the reddest, sparkliest suit you've ever seen. I'd only seen him doing solo acoustic shows before, so it was a delightful surprise to hear him play real hard core honky tonk country - and he was joined by Doug Seegers on one song and fiddle player Lillie Mae on another. Ending the night was James Intveld, who I first came across when he did the vocals for Johnny Depp's character in the film "Cry Baby". He's a proper rockabilly, Johnny Horton-esque vocalist with a superb band. A great bonus. I came out of that night with my head buzzing.

Redd Volkaert
Robbie Fulks
Linda Gail Lewis
Jim Lauderdale & Doug Seegers
James Intveld

And that was just the start...other highlights included Courtney Marie Andrews at the High Watt: Robbie Fulks & Linda Gail Lewis at the Bloodshot Records Backyard BBQ: Jade Jackson at the 5 Spot:Lilly Hiatt at Basement East:Kristina Murray at J.P. Harris' "Sunday Morning Coming Down" get together.

Courtney Marie Andrews
Robbie Fulks & Linda Gail Lewis
Jade Jackson
Lilly Hiatt
Kristina Murray

Most surreal moment was after the Emmylou Harris dog charity gig at the Ascend Arena (John Hiatt/The Lone Bellow/Jamey Johnson/Emmylou with Matraca Berg and Margo Price guesting + others). We made our way over to the 5 Spot and got a drink in. I was talking to one of my friends at one of the tables and turned round to see that Margo Price was standing behind me - then to my left, Robyn Hitchcock was coming out of the loo - and just to my right, Mike Mills of REM (he'd been playing with Elizabeth Cook) was standing at the bar... utterly surreal.

I loved the festival - already reserved our Air BnB for next year.

All my music photos from the festival are HERE

My non-gig photos are HERE

This features (in the last 15 minutes) where I spent my Tuesday night - magical place:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:10 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Next was the Three Ring Circus at the Upper Chapel. Pre-gig highlight was Graham W reversing over the flower beds in the Upper Chapel forecourt (It's probably on CCTV somewhere) and then nearly reversing into Clive. Limited damage and all was good though.
It was ten years since I'd last seen Chris Difford -again he was playing with Boo Hewerdine who provided an excellent foil both musically and for his dry humour.
Next up was Graham Fellows - I've already bought a ticket for the Jilted John tour ( I actually own the Jilted John album that I picked up years ago in WH Smiths. Only ever played it once). I wasn't familiar with his John Shuttleworth persona, so wasn't sure what to expect. What we got was nicely observed vignettes of northern life, laced with dry observation and surrealism. Really enjoyed it.
Finally it was Mr H -guitar tech Gordon's t-shirt was brilliant:
Great to hear "Baby you're my light" and "Something is". A few sound issues, but they didn't distract from the icing on a fine night's entertainment. Just need to wait for the new album now!

Up at 6am the next morning (my birthday...) and made it back to Stoke before the shops opened.

Last edited by efsb on Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

And the last time Baby You're My Light was done live, so far as I can tell from the live recordings I have, was at Holmfirth in August 2008 so first performance for 20 years was a tiny little exaggeration :D

But fantastic to hear it live again :Hoorah

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

..and then it was off to the Manchester Arena to see Kylie. No apologies, no regrets - I've always had a soft spot for her infectious pop music going way back. I'd bought an early entry ticket, hoping to get near the front, but the early entries were upgraded to the "Golden Circle" so front row it was. She put on a good show - what I imagine Taylor Swift might be aspiring to in about twenty-five years...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:03 am 
Hawleytastic!

Local double header - I started off in Leek to take some pics for the folks at Leek Blues and Americana at the Guy Tortora/Dave Luke & Chuck Micallef gig, then drove over Biddulph Moor to St Lawrence's Church where the Hot Rock Pilgrims (UK bluegrass group) were playing and being broadcast live over the interwebs. Here's the Hot Rock Pilgrims:

EDIT - here's a video from the gig:

Last edited by efsb on Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:16 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

efsb wrote:
..and then it was off to the Manchester Arena to see Kylie. No apologies, no regrets - I've always had a soft spot for her infectious pop music going way back. I'd bought an early entry ticket, hoping to get near the front, but the early entries were upgraded to the "Golden Circle" so front row it was. She put on a good show - what I imagine Taylor Swift might be aspiring to in about twenty-five years...

Aww she's lovely ..> :oops: http://richardhawleyforum.co.uk/templates/exposion_dark/images/logo_phpBB_med.gif

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:24 pm 
Newcomer

Dawoodcock wrote:
And the last time Baby You're My Light was done live, so far as I can tell from the live recordings I have, was at Holmfirth in August 2008 so first performance for 20 years was a tiny little exaggeration :D

Would love to hear those live recordings if there is any chance of you sharing.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:32 pm 
Site Admin

Robertwhite78 wrote:
Dawoodcock wrote:

Would love to hear those live recordings if there is any chance of you sharing.

Private message me your e-mail and I will arrange to do a We Transfer of the Holmfirth gig.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:59 am 
Hawleytastic!

No rest for the wicked - we at Biddulph Up In Arms had another gig - the jangly Byrdsian sounds of Bennett Wilson Poole at the Artisan Tap in Hartshill, Newcastle under Lyme. Top night!

Next up it's my turn - playing the Leek Blues and Americana Festival.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:10 pm 
Hawleytastic!

We (Elvis Fontenot) played the Leek Blues & Americana Festival on the Friday night - photo of me in my frottoir (steel rubboard) by local photo mate Brett Trafford, with colour tweaking by me:
The I went back on Sunday - enjoyed sets by muso mates L'il Jim (fantastic zydeco accordionist) who goes out solo (Accordion/guitar/drums) doing a mix of cajun and zydeco standards interspersed with some classic rock done in a similar style.
The it was the turn of the Jake Leg Jug band, who I occasionally dep with:
Followed by Mean Mary, banjoist extraordinaire:
And my personal highlight, Scotland's The Strange Blue Dreams:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:58 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Went over to Eccleshall to see American singer-songwriter and guitarist extraordinaire Nathan Bell in the upstairs room of the Royal Oak. A cruelly sparse crowd, but a better way to spend Saturday night than in front of the telly - and especially after your football team just got thumped 6-2 at home...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4493 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 281, 282, 283, 284, 285, 286, 287 ... 300  Next