Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

What do you think?
The future and saviours of Rock & Roll? 76%  76%  [ 16 ]
Overated Shyte? 24%  24%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:40 pm 
Flange cheese munching cockend

King Grumpy cunt here!!......I was just gauging some opinion on these young SHEFFIELD scallywags! I am extremely proud that this lot are from Sheffield and hope they go on to rule the world.

.......but who would win in a fight???....

Arctic Monkeys V Oasis????? :eye:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:45 pm 
Gimmie 6 !

i think a draw, judges decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:06 pm 
yesterday was a complete nightmare, wandered into local indie record store......just to have a wee browse, :shock: quickly grabbed a sufjan stevens album paid and left, its got out of control

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:28 pm 
Newcomer

Great band. Good album - Maybe it's a case of overfamiliarity but the songs aren't quite as strong as their demo counterparts.

Great to have a good little beat combo put smiles on faces again though. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:50 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I'm just not bothered, too much geezerism goin on for me & I'm afraid I've just heard it all before, there really isn't any intrinsic difference between them and tons of other bands + they look shite.

I'm not into bands who just wanna be 'like down to earth & just like you & me'

There are so many that play virtually the same kinda music who just seem better at it imo ie The Futureheads & The Rakes & etc etc etc

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:49 am 
I hear that the Monkeysalbum sold 118501 on its forst day and is already the best selling album of all time. Apparently it is expected to sell 35000 by the end of the week and has already sold more than the rest of the top 20 put together.

Sheffield music will defintiely and without a shadow of a doubt be on the music history map now! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:02 pm 
Original Hippy

Hipster wrote:

A bit wide of the mark, I'm afraid Hipster.

There is no pretension or falseness about them whatsoever. They come from High Green, which is a fairly deprived part of Sheffield. And they went to Stocksbridge School, which is pretty fucking rough. In all of their interviews they are being themselves, and they dress just like their mates. Its not done for effect, its just how they are.

I know this, because Mme HOTH taught 3 of them - and mightily proud of them she is as well.

Quite possibly they will change as they get bigger, but for now it is really refreshing that they don't see why they should try & be something they aint.

Knock their music by all means, but don't knock them for being what they are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:28 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I'd assumed Hipster's point was the opposite - about wanting to be like everyone else being an indication of limited ambition rather than pretending to be something they're not.

Although this is sometimes true, I did think that this forum's an odd place to express the view, as if anything Mr H is the epitome of how to express the day to day in an extraordinary way. And the Monkeys share something of this - albeit in a very different manner. It isn't ordinary to be that articulate (if I were half that articulate now I'd be happy, if I'd been so in my teens I'd have - well actually I'd have been unbearable, but that's a different story)

http://www.soundsxp.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:00 pm 
I'm really heartened by their success and I hope they're not destroyed by the media interest in them at the moment. Its always really odd to observe the cultural London media elite when they get hold of something, which to them, is just so bizarre and far removed from their own experiences. They really are staggered that the lead singer is capable of stringing clever observations together, whilst doing it in a Northern accent because - heaven forfend - they thought Northerners were a bit thick. Anyway, I'm really proud that Sheffield has produced another band of interest, yet again different from the mainstream. Now, lets just hope another Sheffielder finally gets the recognition he deserves and we can dominate the world! THE WORLD!

*Strokes cat, spins in chair*

Oh, just to clarify Michelvis, its the fastest selling album ever, not the biggest selling, which is probably Dire Straits or some such shit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:03 pm 
Princess Flounceena wrote:
Oh, just to clarify Michelvis, its the fastest selling album ever, not the biggest selling, which is probably Dire Straits or some such shit.

I blame my dad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:05 pm 
Michelvis wrote:

I blame my dad.

Yes, that little bit of genetic material and protein and thirty years later we all have to put up with you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:09 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Oh, just to clarify Michelvis...

like butter you mean? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:09 pm 
:shock: I don't like it here :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:10 pm 
trakka wrote:
Oh, just to clarify Michelvis...

like butter you mean? :shock:

*Witty response edited for purposes of life expectancy*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:09 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Hanging On To Harry wrote:
Hipster wrote:

A bit wide of the mark, I'm afraid Hipster.

There is no pretension or falseness about them whatsoever. They come from High Green, which is a fairly deprived part of Sheffield. And they went to Stocksbridge School, which is pretty fucking rough. In all of their interviews they are being themselves, and they dress just like their mates. Its not done for effect, its just how they are.

I know this, because Mme HOTH taught 3 of them - and mightily proud of them she is as well.

Quite possibly they will change as they get bigger, but for now it is really refreshing that they don't see why they should try & be something they aint.

Knock their music by all means, but don't knock them for being what they are.

Yes I can, they're a pop group, it goes with the territory.

Sorry it's just that i've never been impressed by anyone who dressed just like their mates.

Pop music has always been an opportunity to rise above the drudgery of your surroundings. You have the opportunity to rise above it by inventing something unique and individualistic, to inspire, to excite people or just for the fun of being as cool/outrageous as possibly while you can.

I'd let it go if their music was in anyway unique or so mindblowing that their lack of charisma wasn't an issue, however... northern Libertines without the looks, charm or wit?

I'm not from Sheffield so I havn't got a personal interest in them and I am somewhat bewildered by their sudden and improbable success.

Humdrum sells I guess. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next