Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:07 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: PULP!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:18 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Am typing this on my phone from my hotel. Richard did turn up to do a few songs, most notably "Born to Cry", which had never been played live at a gig before. Unfortunately my phone died in the middle of it so no video or pics. Heard a rumour that there is going to be a DVD though.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:08 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Wow, what a triumph that gig was! Jarvis said at the beginning that they wanted to play a lot of songs, I didn't realise that they would play for 2hours and 40 minutes! If it wasn't for "the mestor" I'm sure Jarvis would have carried on playing forver, he seemed so genuinely happy :D Even at the end he carried on singing an impromtu version of White Christmas :*:

All the hits were played including Common People, Disco 2000, Babies, etc etc. Travelling back in time they played some very old songs too including My Lighthouse from 1983 (joined onstage by Saskia Cocker), Little Girls (With Blue Eyes) from 1985 and then Countdown "when Pulp went disco" said Jarvis. I love Countdown but never in a million years did I ever think I'd hear Pulp play it live 8) during the encore they even played Sheffield: Sex City which I never expected to hear, and it was amazing, and I've always loved Razzmatazz and even that got played. It really was a perfect setlist for the long-term die-hard fan (like me) and casual fan (like my friends).

As SarahaWilson says above, the boss Mr Richard Hawley joined them during This Is Hardcore and stayed for several songs. There was a lot of pointing and elbows in ribs "look, there's Richard Hawley!" as he took to the stage, and Richard definitely got one of the loudest cheers of the night. Born To Cry was amazing during the encore, the first time they've played it live - "what could go wrong?" asked Jarvis, well nothing cos it was perfect and featured some beautiful guitar work from Richard :D

I got some good photos, I'll try and post them later today or tomorrow.

There's a great review on the BBC site:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-20656411

Definitely the best Pulp gig I've ever been to, and one of the best gigs full stop that I've been to, so perhaps Richard could pass on my thanks to Pulp for such an amazing, incredible night :D Thanks boss!

Dave

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:33 pm 
Too much time on my hands

What Dave_J said. R8 good. :D

..>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:19 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Jealous jealous jealous. A friend from work went so I will get the lowdown tomorrow. It sounds as though it was amazing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:03 pm 
Hawley Groupie

The first time my wife and I have left our one year old with her grandparents and ventured to another city overnight! Have to say we'll ". . . remember the first time!" Fantastic gig!

Richard's appearance was great too as the missus missed him on tour, so her withdrawal symptoms were slightly eased.

Sunday morning heading back to Manchester, who should we see in Sheffield station but Jarvis who got onto the same train as us. I thanked him for a great gig as I passed. Despite obviously being shattered (Where did he find the energy for Saturday night?) he posed/smiled for photographs and signed autographs for others in the station and on the train. Reminded me of Richard joining us for a pint after The Lowry gig, years ago, ". . I always have time for the fans. I learned from the best . . . Jarvis. . "

A weekend to remember!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:26 pm 
Hawleytastic!

We thoroughly enjoyed the gig on Saturday night, and Richard joining in was the icing on the cake. After the second song Jarvis was knackered, but kept going for at least another two hours!

The journey to gig was interesting ... how many people can you get into a supertram on the way to the arena? Think of a number and then add at least a hundred! I was so determined to avoid the crush on the way home that we missed Richard and Jarvis doing 'Born to Cry', such a shame.

It's the first place I've seen plastic glasses that hold 2 pints of beer ... great idea, so you don't have to leave the music so often to visit the bar!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:49 am 
The Boss

i loved the night despite being beyond knackered from touring,i only got home from ireland really late the previous evening,it was magical to me,i was hugely relieved that there weren't pints being launched all over the place though filled with body fluids that i had witnessed at another sheff bands performance there a couple of years ago i was involved in.....that was something i had never witnessed before and was worried i would see it again.............but it didn't happen thank god.............great night really happy to see all your posts that are happy and positive......its a great and"nothing needs to be said"sort of feeling when your onstage with people you've know most of your life,as time passes i am aware of it more and more.....with Pulp...and our band too.....that this is really special to me i don't take it for granted,having being involved with Pulp for such a long time,either on or off stage in one way or another for almost a lifetime i always get a feeling of.......not sure exactly what it is........pride?.....no thats too much.......not sure what the words are but it feels good anyway.....hope this doesn't come across the wrong way

sorry for rambling i am still a bit zarged but anyway i would have been more than happy to have ended the year with the fab Cork gig but the arena was ace to have been a small part of

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:49 pm 
Newcomer

I just want to say thanks to Richard (and Pulp) for giving me and my other half 3 of the best nights of our year (your two City Hall shows + the wonderful Pulp gig last Saturday).

I thought I'd missed my chance to see Pulp play live when I missed the Magna gig in 2002, so I was determined to enjoy this one.

My other half went mad when she spotted Hawley emerging for This Is Hardcore, and she'd really gone by the end of Sunrise!

It's just a shame the 'mester' had to put an end to it, because we could have easily stayed another hour for the songs they didn't have time to do like Wickerman, Lipgloss and The Trees.

Anyway, you make us proud to come from Sheffield. Happy Christmas! :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:31 pm 
Site Admin

The whole gig (audio only)

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:49 am 
Regular

It really was a special gig, the band gave it their all and if that is a final hurrah, or a ta'rah a bit, what a way to go out on.
Sheffield:Sex City was mind-blowing. Over two and a half hours and Jarvis still cavorting around with the energy of someone half his age...just incredible. The rest of the band all on top of their game too. The only downside was Russell not being there.
Loved the "new" bits in some of the songs - Countdown sounds better than it did when it came out 20 years ago. Nice crunchy guitar from Mark on Little Girl With Blue Eyes...just great songs performed really well by genuine people.
Got my pic taken with Nick afterwards which I was delighted with even though he looked blankly when I made a reference to him getting his safe pair of hands from his uncle, the goalkeeper. I had an awful thought that maybe Gordon was suffering from Parkinsons or something. I'm pretty sure that is not the case. Hopefully it was Nick not understanding my Irish accent!
Anyway...great night and lovely to see Richard so humble while joining the band for a few songs.