Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Do you think Morrissey has himself cryogenically frozen between albums?
Yes 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
No 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Mozzer
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:44 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I've been hearing a lot of Morrissey's latest single. It's pleasant enough, but there is absolutely nothing to distinguish it from a track on 'Viva Hate.' He seems to exist in his own musical world, unaffected by anything that happens to him personally or to music in general.

The same can't be said for his looks, unfortunately.

Campaign for free speech and democracy in the former USSR

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 1:16 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I know i'm going to be killed for saying this but i don't think the new record is that great i'm afraid.I think its great he's back and flying at the top of the charts where he belongs but its not his best work.............and he has done some awesome stuff and i am a fan but i was a bit dissapointed that no real new ground seems to have been covered in all this time,sorry. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 9:26 am 
Hawleytastic!

I know what you both mean but I quite like Mozza sounding like Mozza, I'm not sure I'd want him to 'move on'!! * As for his looks, well, speaking as a 'mature woman', of not dissimilar age to Mozza himself, I would say he's looking better than ever!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:09 am 
Flange cheese munching cockend

Being quite close up to the fella at the Manc gig the other week, I was thinking that he was starting to show his age and made me feel young for a change!! This was proved when everytime he stripped off his shirt he went running from the stage, and I'm sure he was holding his aging 'man-tits' in both hands!! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 2:46 pm 
Too much time on my hands

I've never been that much of a fan of his anyway, although there are songs I like. 'First of the Gang to Die' is picking up airplay as his next single, and it's certainly not his worst work but it's nothing he hasn't done several thousand times before. And it always annoys me when he does that "A-hay-a-hay-a-hay" stuff.
Considering the span of the music he claims to like, I think it's a bit sad that he always makes the same album. Why bother? His lyrical preoccupations are all the same too, and I think he's running out of things to say about them; even if we cared in the first place and when it comes to his fueds with the other Smiths I certainly didn't.
There seems to have been a desperate will in the music press for Morrissey to be brilliant in 2004, and most of them can't even entertain the idea that he could possibly be anything less, that he could make a record that his fans would like but wouldn't be especially interesting to the rest of us. (Of course, he's far from the only person this has happened to in recent years). I have no idea what the NME has been doing, putting him on the cover every week - I'm younger than most (if not all) the real Morrissey fans and still too old for the NME, so who's going to be interested?

I don't think he looks as bad now as he did circa Maladjusted mind you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 5:23 pm 
Hawleytastic!

As they say 'it's all a matter of taste' I guess?!! *
As for lyrical preoccupations, I not that interested in his feud with the other Smiths BUT some of them are still as important, if not more so, as they ever were so I really have no problem with him singing about them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:13 pm 
Site Admin

You see to me a world with Morrissey is always 10 times better than it would be without him, even if the album aint the best thing he has ever done. 3/5 in my opinion....he is a breadth of fresh air compared firstly to all the fucking pop idol rot.

Secondly, yes he has been in the NME a lot quite recently, which is no bad thing, considering the NME are usually busy promoting the arses of up and coming nervergonnabes ! where all it takes is one listen to find out that there is only one good tune on the album, Keane, Franz Ferdinand, take note please. it may inspire some 16 year old to pick up a Smiths or Morrissey record and open up a whole other world of music.

there are certain talking points regarding the lyrical content of the album, ie. the anti-us sentiment and the slagging of Joyce & Rourke to name just two, but at least for all his faults, the man says it as he see it, and considering the current state of the music industry this is quite rare and welcome in my view.

As for his looks.. if someone told me at 45 I'd look as good as him I'd take it now thank you very much.

Basically, my opinion is that a world without Morrissey is a hell of a lot better than a world without him. Look at the amount that has been writen about him on this board in the last few weeks for a start !

well that my 2 cents anyway... :wink: NEXT ....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 9:47 pm 
Vicar of this parish

Now, I think it's about par for the course. It was never going to sound too different. I don't think any of the Smiths albums have a terribly individual sound, don't know about Mozza's solo stuff, but I wouldn't have expected much different. It's not Pulp, for example, where every album has it's own vibe. What we all love Mozza for is the fact that he is still a rebellious miserable git from Manchester. Graham Fellows has based ahlf his current act around that fact.............. :D NEXT

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2004 12:29 am 
Hawleytastic!

Sumed it up perfectly, Alun, *!!!