Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

the boy hoy wrote:
who is this Rioja fella????

Bolder and bolder by the day, and Christ! does I loves it!

So, can I have a swig, Cats?! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:41 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Oh I will confess :*: ... not least because Denise has laughing called me a 'silly minx' for confusing her as to my whereabouts on Monday night. :*:

I so wasn't going to miss The Janskys playing along with the adorably talented Louis (previously raved about by Nick) .... but being an organised type of gal also manage to fit in the robust rioja in Warwick :wink:

Started work at 7:30 just so I could hoof it out early and hammer up the motorway; arrived in time to hear last of the sound check and spent some time chatting with Nick, Pat, Damian and Liam ... all wonderfully grounded, ego-free and genuinely seemed to enjoy the collaborative band experience. Good guys each and everyone.

The gig itself ... well didn't see the third act (had to make swift exit for appointment with the patient and understanding Mr Rioja awaiting in Warwick) ... but Louis needs to be seen ... really powerful, clear, shivering vocals ... and he sings in French and has an accordian 8) .

Think it was hard for The Janskys to follow on from that performance, but a real contrast in style and they stepped up to the occasion ... Dave's already mentioned the drums ... great, obsessive and pulsating core that pulled in Nick's bass big style whilst Damian on electric and Pat on acoustic added on occasions 'swoopingness' .... I think 'swirlly-beep-beep' also comes to mind on the last track (don't ask me about guitars, lovely blokie next to me made some comment about the last track being 3 chords ... anyhow 'chords, my brain just went 'la-la-la' at the mention but was organised in such a way that it was like quicksand trapping you and dragging you in). Some fabulous tunes, good vocal from Pat (who I think was a little nervous at following on from Louis ... but shouldn't have ... not comparing like with like) ... and a real warmth radiating from the performance.

So ... basically ... get yourselves along next time they're playing. 8) If I can do a four hour round trip drive in torrential rain, practice my techniques at aqua-planing down motorways and generally terrorise the streets (sorry pavements) of Sheffield with my erratic and somewhat idiosyncratic right-turns, then there's no excuse for a gentle stroll down the hill to The Janskys next gig :*: :*: :wink:

... okay Nick .... was that a fiver we agreed? :wink:

PS .... Mrs Nick is a very lovely person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:00 pm 
Original Hippy

Shucks, ta! :oops: