Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:59 pm 
Regular poster

The Listeners are playing at The Plug in Sheffield on saturday 19th July anyone that wants tickets to this event please leave your name under the blog on http://www.myspace.com/thelisteners or you can email me at thelistenersband@hotmail.co.uk and leave your name there - and pick up your ticket at the door on the night. If your coming just to see The Listeners please buy a ticket through us as we will get a pound for every ticket we sell! Thers loads of bands playing on the day over 4 stages and theres also a BBQ and other stuff happening as well. Checkout the info below.
Cheers

Saturday, 19 July 2008
Plug Festival
Price: £5 adv
Door time: 7.30pm

On the 19th July, Plug will be bringing the outdoors indoors with our very own festival. A host of local bands and our resident DJs will be gracing the stages and decks over 4 rooms, including an outdoor stage complete with BBQ, providing a festival where there really is something for everyone.
On the live stage, we have Little Ze, Viper Jungle, Area 15, Reform! and The Hanging Men.

The fusion of melodious flavours in Viper Jungle's sound is a welcome break from the indie-by-numbers that has invaded the charts in recent years. This maelstrom of funk-rock will get you moving and grooving from your head to your toes, check out their debut album for further proof.

Area 15's rise as Doncaster's premier punk pop-rock pioneers has not gone unnoticed, with appearances on Channel 4's Popworld and a gig at the Skins party in Liverpool. Youthful exuberance underpinned by an unswerving work ethic and healthy appetite for success, these boys should go far.

Derbyshire's Young Band of the Year 2007, Reform! exhibit a musical education rooted in 70's British punk and 90's Britpop, evident in their debut EP ‘Hope You Had Fun'. Compared by the Derbyshire Times to The Strokes and The Stone Roses, they may yet reach the heights set by these legends.

The Hanging Men only formed at the start of the year, but a riotous debut gig at The Cremorne suggests a future of promise. Their own brand of no-nonsense, straight-talking rock and roll highlights a lyrical honesty and fragility that belies their inexperience.

From the ashes of Eskimo Brit arises SammyJo, Chesterfield's finest exponent of powerpop. A beautiful marriage of pop and rock melodies underscores the powerful vocals of the lead singer, and it's no surprise that she's forcing many to take notice, such is the confidence evident in their style and material.

On the acoustic stage, we have The Listeners, Richard Kitson, Trouble Breathing, Stephen Barber and Judge Jury Executioner.

Experienced on the Northern circuit, The Listener's are something special indeed. Caressing the airwaves with a voice like velvet, singer Emma Thorpe's uncompromising emotive insight, coupled with the dark guitar and baritone stylings of Robert Cook, make this twosome a match made in heaven.

Richard Kitson, frontman of local blues band Also Jack, brings us his own brand of blues-infused folk. His inventive finger-picking and slide guitar work underlines a quality of musicianship others can only hope to aspire to, and his breed of blues folk must be seen to be truly appreciated.

Trouble Breathing, stalwarts of the local live scene over the last few years, have blended twisted melodies and haunting vocals to create a beautiful soundscape. Their emotions are very much on the surface, veering from euphoria to a darkness that seems to resonate with the mellow guitars and vocals.

Emerging from the ashes of his previous bands, Stephen Barber is a young man on a journey. His acoustic wanderings reveal sentimental confusions and dramatic allusions in a time when honesty and integrity may be in short supply, and we are all the better for it.

Judge Jury Executioner are set to debut themselves with an acoustic show, a departure from their regular workings as a rock band. Their chilled out jammings and frenetic hammerings offer a wondrous marriage of anger, sadness and desire, all wrapped up in a punk-rock bow.

As the sun goes down, join our resident DJs LJ Freeman, Funk Junkies, Dan Norris, Drew Scott and L.I.A.M for a journey of electrifying genre-destruction on the dancefloor across all rooms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:26 pm 
Regular poster

Oh yeah - I also forgot to say - we are giving out some free cds after we have played - first come,first served.
cheers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:47 pm 
I need a life

strangeman wrote:
Oh yeah - I also forgot to say - we are giving out some free cds after we have played - first come,first served.
cheers

hey rob
whats on the cd are they new recordings, i bought the 5 song ep off Emma at the Grapes last time, need to hear more tunes fella

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:38 pm 
Regular poster

Quote:
hey rob
whats on the cd are they new recordings, i bought the 5 song ep off Emma at the Grapes last time, need to hear more tunes fella

Eh up
Not sure whats gonna be on them yet - it might be a mixture of songs from the same recording you bought - we recorded 8 songs originally for that c.d so i might do a diffent mixture of songs on each c.d with 3 tracks in total! :wink:

Post subject: Reminder tonights gig!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:22 am 
Regular poster

The Listeners are playin at about 9ish tonight - doors are at 7:30!

heres the track listing for the free cd we are giving away tonight and at the grapes on the 30th!

-
The Journey
One last job
Pedros heart on a string
interlude
Strangeman

only 30 copys available tonight so first come first served after we have played!
Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:44 am 
strangeman wrote:
an outdoor stage

Gazebo in the car park.

Quote:
complete with BBQ

Burger van. With one very load generator. (See below.)

Quote:
the acoustic stage

No amps. No mics. (See above). Though at least the generator was only a problem when you could hear it over the 20,000 decibels of indie bollocks blasting out from the indoor stage.

Quote:
providing a festival where there really is something for everyone

Provided your something is sitting in a car park in the dark, 6 feet away from the bands you've come to see, but only actually being able to hear those that are playing inside.

Brewery, up, piss, etc....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:30 pm 
Regular poster

CraigA wrote:
strangeman wrote:
an outdoor stage

Gazebo in the car park.

Quote:
complete with BBQ

Quote:
the acoustic stage

No amps. No mics. (See above). Though at least the generator was only a problem when you could hear it over the 20,000 decibels of indie bollocks blasting out from the indoor stage.

Quote:

Provided your something is sitting in a car park in the dark, 6 feet away from the bands you've come to see, but only actually being able to hear those that are playing inside.

Tell me about it!

The words - advertisement and false come to mind?!

A profeessional man like myself has never been so ashamed - Roll on the grapes tour starting a week tommorrow!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:12 pm 
I need a life

strangeman wrote:
CraigA wrote:
strangeman wrote:
an outdoor stage

Gazebo in the car park.

Quote:
complete with BBQ

Quote:
the acoustic stage

Quote:

Tell me about it!

The words - advertisement and false come to mind?!

A profeessional man like myself has never been so ashamed - Roll on the grapes tour starting a week tommorrow!

HOLY FOOK :batman:

from the sound of it i've been to better organised squat parties!
that's seriously shocking mate, I do wonder how some promoters get away with this kind of behavior, i think you would have been well within your rights to tell them to stick their gazebo where the sun wasn't shining that day and instead invite anybody along to watch you play in the park with some cold tins of their choice