Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:39 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:06 pm 
This might be a bit good...

On Thursday June 12th Canadian singer/songwriter Jenn Grant comes to The Grapes as part of her European tour. Her charming mix of folk and pop has seen her tour with The Great Lake Swimmers and The Weakerthans and latest album 'Orchestra For The Moon' features guests that include the likes of Ron Sexsmith. Jenn will be joined by special guest Neil McSweeney, currently working on the follow up to the acclaimed debut album 'Remember To Smile'. Neil previously showcased some of the songs from the next record at The Grapes back in February and more of the same can be expected tonight. Support also comes from Garron Frith.

Advance tickets priced at £5 are available from Jacks Records, http://www.seetickets.com and http://www.wagonwheelmedia.co.uk (booking fees may apply).

***JENN GRANT***

Jenn Grant, born in Prince Edward Island, now lives in Halifax, Novo Scotia, where she is a singer/songwriter and painter. Jenn was invited to record her first full length album (Orchestra for the Moon) at CBC's Studio H in Halifax. It was produced by Glen Meisner of the CBC along with Jason MacIsaac and Dave Christensen of "The Heavy Blinkers". There are many special guests on the recording, (Jill Barber, Ron Sexsmith, Matt Mays, Rose Cousins, Dale Murray and many others) and Grant has also been fortunate enough to share the stage with some of her favorites like Feist, Julie Doiron, Ron Sexsmith, Josh Ritter and most recently toured with The Great Lake Swimmers and then The Weakerthans. Last year she completed a month long tour in Germany as well other dates in France, England, Switzerland, Luxembourg and most recently Northern Ireland. The summer brought a special invite to the Edmonton Folk Festival and then some performances in NYC. Grant continues to write songs and tour in support of "Orchestra for the Moon" and looks forward to recording her next album. She thrives on the artistic beauty of all her friends.

"As a début album this is a hell of a calling card, here voice is excellent throughout and there’s barely a dip in the quality of the writing and musical performances, proving she’s not just another feisty singer from Canada." Americana-uk.com

http://www.myspace.com/jenngrant1

***NEIL McSWEENEY***

Neil McSweeney is a songwriter from Sheffield who performs his material on his own or with a five-piece band.

December saw the release of digital only single 'A Rope To Hang' on the KIDS label, following on from the debut single ‘Postcards’, also released through KIDS in the summer of 2007. The powerful 'Postcards' struck a nerve with all who came across it. Radio support from Zane Lowe (Radio 1) — including a prestigious ‘Sunsetter’ play — Huw Stephens (Radio 1), Jonathan Ross (Radio 2) and Mark Radcliffe (BBC 6Music) was bolstered further by a slot on the XFM Playlist. The track was supported heavily by respected indie stores across the land, particularly Piccadilly Records and Rough Trade, both of whom made it their single of the week.

‘A Rope To Hang’ is music at its most sparse, yet most affecting. Neil’s huge voice — which has drawn favourable comparisons to Leonard Cohen, Jeff Buckley or a male Tracy Chapman — is supported solely by the most delicate of acoustic backing, showcasing its intensity and raw power to the full. The track brings to mind Jose Gonzales’ ‘Heartbeats’ and Scott Matthews’ ‘Elusive’ in both its haunting performance and sheer songwriting quality.

McSweeney started writing his Americana-tinged, folksy solo material while teaching English in Italy. Upon returning to his native Sheffield, he continued to write songs inspired by the likes of Low and Papa M, and his intense, brooding live performances lead to him being voted ‘Sheffielder Most Likely To kill Himself’ on one internet forum, and described as ‘the most miserable man alive’ on another.

A top class performer with songs to match, much is expected from the follow up to his wonderful debut album 'Remember To Smile'.

“Deeply felt, brooding songs rich in imagery…he has the tools to make a real impact” – The Guardian

http://www.myspace.com/neilmcsweeney

***GARRON FRITH***

Northwest singer/songwriter Garron Frith is quietly making a name for himself off the back of constant gigging, and not least his stunning self-titled debut album which is available now on Ravine Records. The record was produced by one time member of The Willard Grant Conspiracy Simon Alpin, who also plays on the album. Other great musicians that contributed to the tracks include members of Grand Drive and legendary Green On Red guitarist and singer/songwriter Chuck Prophet.

Garron has opened for many acts such as Glen Tilbrook, Martin Stephenson, Danny George Wilson (Grand Drive), and most recently Southside Johnny and the Asbury Dukes.

Garron has always proved very popular on his previous appearances at our Americana Night and the album is winning him many fans too.

"beautiful country rock gem" 5/5 Sunday Express

"excellent" 4/5 Maverick Magazine

http://www.myspace.com/garronfrith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:37 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

neil AND garron :D

ohmygod i wanna come :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 10:40 pm 
Site Admin

some line up that if its not packed it will be criminal, Jenn Grant isnt half bad too and for that price you can't go wrong, I'd pop over meself for that if I could.

For where you can't go
Mustang horses, champagne glasses
Anything frail anything wild
It's the price of living motion, what's beautiful is broken
And grace is just the measure of a fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:14 am 
Scone hoarding gobshite

me cant go and am very gutted :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:53 am 
Hawleytastic!

sunflower wrote:

it's not that good.

NEWLY UPDATED!!!! Feel Free To Stop By...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:58 am 
Scone hoarding gobshite

Dave Woodcock wrote:
sunflower wrote:

it's not that good.

yeah tis. i love garron, me and now ive seen neil mc live i think he's a bit good an all.

are yer :mrgreen: ?

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:12 am 
Flange cheese munching cockend

sunflower wrote:
me cant go and am very gutted :(

What could be more important than a Neil Mc & Garron gig? :?

.......Is weller opening his new garden shed? :eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:19 am 
Scone hoarding gobshite

Dave wrote:

that would be tellin 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:37 am 

sunflower wrote:
Dave wrote:

that would be tellin 8)

This air of mystery does you no favours Sunflower. Get your arse over to Sheffield for this gig and stop being a big girlie puff! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:38 am 
Scone hoarding gobshite

Dave wrote:
sunflower wrote:
Dave wrote:

that would be tellin 8)

This air of mystery does you no favours Sunflower. Get your arse over to Sheffield for this gig and stop being a big girlie puff! :wink:

honestly i would if i could - cos i love garron, me - but no can do :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:47 am 

sunflower wrote:

You are then and always will be, a big girlie puff and I'll tell Neil and Garron that you've gone off them and think they're rubbish and they'll say 'well, we always thought she was a big girlie puff who likes poodles and dirty dancing' and they'll do a duet called ' Sunflower smells of wee' and Craig will do his red indian dance because he's so happy and then weller will come down and sing his newest song called 'Sunflower really does smell of wee and is rubbish' and then he'll snog Craig and ask him to be his manager and make it his first job to throw you out of the weller fanclub.

So there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:54 am 
Hawleytastic!

Bloody hell Dave I think you've been eating too many E numbers again............ :shock: :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:57 am 
Scone hoarding gobshite

Dave wrote:
sunflower wrote:

You are then and always will be, a big girlie puff and I'll tell Neil and Garron that you've gone off them and think they're rubbish and they'll say 'well, we always thought she was a big girlie puff who likes poodles and dirty dancing' and they'll do a duet called ' Sunflower smells of wee' and Craig will do his red indian dance because he's so happy and then weller will come down and sing his newest song called 'Sunflower really does smell of wee and is rubbish' and then he'll snog Craig and ask him to be his manager and make it his first job to throw you out of the weller fanclub.

So there.

:*: :*: :*: :*: :*: :*:

but i wanted to snog craig! :evil: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:02 pm 

Craig's not that hard to spot these days........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:20 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

phwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwoah!

:D