Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:46 pm 
Scone hoarding gobshite

weller - long hot summer, blackpool 2005. just awesome :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:52 pm 
Hawleytastic!

MexicanHilbilly wrote:
The Metro 2000 (Chicago)"Now My Heart Is Full" (he changed it to "Now My Meat Is Full")

One of Alain's favourites...

...nerd that I am :oops: :alien:

Mine's a bit like Eoin's (wept salty tears at that There Is A Light encore):
Finale at Olympia 1999 - Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me.
Another unexpected moment. And again, an emotional one!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:03 am 
Regular

In response to Rita.....

Yes I know.... That actually was the best Morrissey show I have ever attended. I was to work that day and I decided to ditch work because I knew that I would never ever have the oppurtunity to see him at one of my all time favorite venue and such an intimate place... I sure made the right decision. I also got to meet Gary,Alain and Boz right after the show and was able to chitchat w/them and they were also gracious enough to let me take candid pics of them. Definitely one of the best and magical night of my life.[/list][/code]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:00 pm 
Hawleytastic!

MexicanHilbilly wrote:
In response to Rita.....

Yes I know.... That actually was the best Morrissey show I have ever attended. I was to work that day and I decided to ditch work because I knew that I would never ever have the oppurtunity to see him at one of my all time favorite venue and such an intimate place... I sure made the right decision. I also got to meet Gary,Alain and Boz right after the show and was able to chitchat w/them and they were also gracious enough to let me take candid pics of them. Definitely one of the best and magical night of my life.[/list][/code]

WOW!!!
Definitely the correct decision!
One of life's more defining times - you'll never forget it!
I would love to see those pictures, if that isn't too cheeky a request. There aren't enough of gorgeous Alain to be found in my opinion! :wink: :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 6:54 am 
Regular

Gary wrote:
14.Sheffield Arena 1995, The Verve, Pulp and Oasis, a f'kin excellent day.
5. The Mayfair Newcastle, Inspiral Carpets (don't laff) one of the best live acts i've ever seen.
6. Mr H. all the time.

The Verve, Pulp and Oasis? omg I'm gonna have a heart attack!

I LOVE the Inspiral Carpets! I wish I had seen them.

-Oscar Wilde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:13 am 
Regular

I'm a bit jaded cause I work at a venue (the Fillmore) and see TONS and tons of concerts, but I do have many many moments that get me all worked up...

Morrissey last year in Reno Nevada - I've Changed My Plea to Guilty - a song I don't think I've ever heard live but it got me misty! (If he had done Now My Heart is Full that surely would have done it)

Tindersticks at the Fillmore about 10 years ago and then more recently at Bimbo's (2004?) - basically the whole show.

Depeche Mode in San Jose 2005 (not sure if anyone here likes DM) - when Martin came out and sang 'Somebody" with just the piano accompaniment - I totally lost it cause that song holds so many memories of my teen years....

Seeing Tom Waits (with the Kronos Quartet) finally for the first time last year at Neil Young's Bridge School Benefit - I had been waiting SO LONG to see him he could have sang Christmas Carols and I would have been happy! He sang this anti-war song that was so moving you could have heard a pin drop in that ginormous venue!

RH at Cafe du Nord last year - the whole show but especially when he did Valentine! :cry:

Coachella 2004 - Seeing one of my favorite bands the Pixies reunite, then Belle and Sebastian THEN Radiohead all in a row out in that hot sweltering desert. Magical!

that's pretty good - I think I'll leave it there!

-Oscar Wilde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:47 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Lots but my funniest moment at a gig was around 1986 in Nottingham, a Chicago Blues night was billed and it was meant to be Phil Guy and Jimmy Rogers. I was dead excited about Jimmy Rogers and rather disappointed to find he had pulled out. Jimmy Dawkins was his replacement and was stunning. Anyway, Phil Guy has this song "I Caught My Wife Making Love To The Garbage Man" and he wanted to localise it and asked what we called a garbage man. So folk are shouting out Dustman Binman etc and he proudly launches into "I Caught My Wife Making Love To The Dustman Man", he nearly lost his false teeth getting that to scan..yeah, know it's a "had to be there" moment but always stayed with me, that and the keyboard player Eddie Luske or "I'm The Professor" as he kept announcing as the mood took him.

After a Bo Diddley gig when he was asked to sign a pile of lps and he flipped "I never saw any of these in my life", he took the guy to one side (not in a nasty way) and had folk getting all the details of the records and he was exclaiming all the while, seething at having been ripped off

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:02 pm 
Hawleytastic!

watching the wife's face 30 seconds in to our first hawley concert, zz top doing 'party on the patio', john otway leaping from the speakers in the royal park in leeds, zep doing 'kashmir', sparks playing the same note for 5 minutes while russel was dressed as santa, jeff buckley doing 'hallelujah' and making me weep, floyd's wall collapsing, stray cats turning up at midnight and blowing the roof off the leeds uni, watching angus on bon scott's shoulders jump into the crowd at leeds poly in '77, thinking what a strange man wilko johnson looked in dr feelgood, being blinded by phil lynott's bass plate, trying to direct lemmy and the rest of motorhead onto the stage..........................ah, memories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:46 pm 
Flange cheese munching cockend

Standing in the Octagon in Sheffield, tears streaming down my face as The Doves played 'There goes the fear' early 2005 I think, at a low ebb at the time.

Hawley City Hall '06 the culmination of slogging through the Leadmill gigs, Rich playing 'Coming Home', me thinking everything was good and right in the world and our man had got what he rightly deserved and made it.

Neil McSweeney, Grapes February 20th this year. Last time I went out with the ex, 2 days before we split. Neil played a song called 'Rope to Hang' .....every word was a a piece of me being crushed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:11 am 
Regular

Dave wrote:
Standing in the Octagon in Sheffield, tears streaming down my face as The Doves played 'There goes the fear' early 2005 I think, at a low ebb at the time.

God damn I love that band...I've seen them about 5 times and every single time has been incredible. :shock:

-Oscar Wilde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:14 am 
Regular

mph wrote:
jeff buckley doing 'hallelujah' and making me weep

I think no matter who does that song I will weep...I saw KD Lang do it on Jools Holland a few weeks ago (I think from 2005 or 6?) and I got a bit misty!

-Oscar Wilde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:17 am 
Waitrose Warrior

SFGlam wrote:
mph wrote:

I think no matter who does that song I will weep...I saw KD Lang do it on Jools Holland a few weeks ago (I think from 2005 or 6?) and I got a bit misty!

do you like leonard cohen's own versions? they are the best in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 12:51 am 
Regular

Luke M wrote:
SFGlam wrote:
mph wrote:

do you like leonard cohen's own versions? they are the best in my opinion.

Oh yes! I had to refresh my memory so I YouTubed it - this is pretty cheesetastic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf36v0epfmI

I also like Rufus' version a lot too.

-Oscar Wilde

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:37 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

well, there's only two occasions i've ever been close to tears at a gig. one was the first time i saw mr h play the ocean live, which i don't think i stopped talking about to anyone and everyone for about a month afterwards. the second was pretty much nearly every song the who played at liverpool 06, i had a really good spec right by the front and things got a bit emotional seeing two people i've idolised for so long going for it, particularly during amazin journey/sparks followed by the run in to see me feel me.. haha. great stuff - just wish i'd been able to see the proper line up, despite not being born at the time.

8)