Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Modern Music is Rubbish
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:19 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Carrying on from the other thread of getting bored with music.

I've only just fully come across this performance thanks to You Tube.

Before I trawled my way through all of the radio 1 festival thing looking for some kind of spark. It was like 'I've been to rock college to learn all the right moves'.

Straight after I could not help put on Hendrix live on the Lulu show. It's just so ace...it has everything in it I adore about music. It's so alive...man.

After this Radio 1 thing and browsing the NME week after week..I sort of see modern music like the state of the atmosphere at football matches. I can only speak with what I know in my local club. But people now complain of no atmosphere at matches. Were once upon a time you had everybody together all standing up and having a right time...surges e.t.c. I used to have the time of life...even if we were loosing.

But now...you've all got to sit down boys and girls. You can't smoke..take that drink way. Swearing is now very much frowned upon...this is now a 'family game' you know. Charge the earth to get in and bobs your uncle...no atmosphere. Just a load of managing directors on a day out. Nice and clean with a glass of wine at half time.

Nice and clinical. All the right moves worked out.

Personally I just see the same in modern music.

I'm warbling..but with this video with Jimi and his out of tune string and the sparkle in his eyes....makes me feel so alive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv3cKLWQimE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:33 pm 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

SHIT HOT..............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:36 pm 
Hawleytastic!

.... you've not been to Fratton Park lately, Netheredge?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:51 pm 
Hawleytastic!

er..No.

Why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:23 pm 
Hawleytastic!

'cos fratton park is wonderfully shoddy, the atmosphere brilliant, fans loud, the swearing quite shocking (and that's the women), they've only just put a roof on over the away fans, food is bloody disgusting ... easily the shabbiest football ground in the premiership .... probably shabbiest any where. Love it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:43 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Well it's not like that at Turf Moor any more.

Shambles it is..

Well done down there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:49 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Got me ticket for tomorrow :*: :*: :*: :*: :*: sooooo excited.

...... we'll no doubt lose though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:25 am 
Hawleytastic!

I'd say that a lot of populist modern music is rubbish, but there's loads of rough at the edges stuff that you have to make the effort to find that is as good as anything you might wish to hear, out there. Embrace the weird and wonderful.

Buy the new Los Straitjackets DVD and then walk around in a wrestling mask.

Discover the glory that is the Pine Leaf Boys and move to Lafayette.

Check out the gig-list of somewhere like the Continental Club in Austin, Texas and buy everything by all the bands who play there.

Get the Scotch Greens' last CD and play it at full volume and destroy the rest of the street.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:05 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

I think there is an awful lot of rubbish, yes. Mostly the Godforsaken boyband/girlband, manufactured, let's-all-jig-about, big girl's blouse stuff.
(Had to listen to workshop next-door's Shite FM radio station at full bore for six months). :puker: However, lately I've realised that some of today's stuff is actually quite good. Not saying I'd go out & buy it, because it really does have to leap out & floor me for that to happen, but maybe that's more about me than the music. I suppose there's always been crap. Just not so much of it! Think my Mum said it all. Knowing my musical preferences; When I played her Valentine & a few others of Richard's, she said 'That's beautiful, I like him. Is he still alive?'.... :roll: :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:23 am 
Site Admin

I suppose its all about what you consider modern music. Chart shite...yes, all the bling bling stick a cap in yo ass rap bullshit.. yes. The new fad seems to be boy bands with guitars now ?.. yes.. the faux 50's 60's revival.. yes winehouse, adele, duffy, (I am sorry 4 good tunes a classic album does not make). if you scratch below the surface and get exposed to influences beyond the mass marketing of the music industry who simply just want you to listen and mosty importantly buy into what they say you might just find some gems and find people making music primiraly for the love of it which is just what it should be all about. The last two years have been awesome in my book, just gotta know where to look.

For where you can't go
Mustang horses, champagne glasses
Anything frail anything wild
It's the price of living motion, what's beautiful is broken
And grace is just the measure of a fall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:04 am 
Hawleytastic!

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 29072.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:46 am 
Hawleytastic!

There's definitely a lot of nonsense out there (I'm particularly offended by Kate Nash at the moment) but there's good stuff too. So I guess I'm with Eoin. As long as you can look beyond the manufactured rubbish, there's still good music in the world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:47 pm 
The Stalker

I think it's more a case of Modern Life is Rubbish

We're just bombarded with stuff that has been pre-selected "for you" to fit a demographic profile. Everywhere you look stuff that you don't really want or need is pushed in your face. In years gone by, when there were far fewer advertising channels and no internet, it was simpler to ignore.

Music is just another commodity to be parcelled up nicely and sold to the sheep-like masses, or carefully-targeted niches. It's a natural by-product of the information age and it's harder & harder for most people to resist the tide of shite, whether it be fashion, music, so-called lifestyle products, or any other consumer item.

We end up with "wow" fatigue too - trying to take in all the stuff that actually excites us - because we can access things so readily

Havens of "mad" sanity like this really do help though - a positive by-product of the information age

...and that Hendrix clip is just ace :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:01 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Most of the stuff I listen to nowadays comes from the past, myspace pages and links on this forum. I then just download from iTunes. Never listen to chart stuff, it's just a stroke of luck if what i've been listening to makes the charts. I can't work out if it's the quality of music today or just my age. :wink:

Acts from TV shows just annoy me like hell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:49 pm 
Too much time on my hands

Craftsmanship. Or Craftsmanship without disappearing up your own arse. That's a big part of what's been missing for a long time. You get some Art school punk rock band coming out and then a whole swathe of imitators - all imitating something that isn't that hot in the first place. All of them claiming that music began in the summer of 1976 - all with very basic skills, and little to say....... and round and round we go again. Personally i'm fucking sick of seeing bands that can't play, sing, or whatever being lauded by the press - music journos who have no interest in the subject matter and are just waiting for a vacancy at the Daily Telegraph or the BBC.

Humbug.
:wink:

http://www.myspace.com/stevebillybuckley

http://www.myspace.com/thewagontrain