Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:06 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Scotland
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:08 pm 
Hawleytastic!

... finally got my act together and thought I'd better see a bit more of this wonderful land before packing up the car and heading south.

So last weekend, headed out to Oban.

I managed to take some photos and loaded them up to laptop but can't work out how to share them with you all. :cry:

Anyhow, the morning light was ethereal and the sea, mountains and sky seemed to merge as if something out of a Phillip Pullman novel. Then it was the ferry across to Mull, a boy-racer dash across to the south side to get another ferry across to Iona which was a special as I'd been lead to believe. Something spartan, magical and spiritual ... and a surprising number of different breeds of sheep for such a small island. I even got the walking boots out so trudged out trying to look as if I knew where I was going (very small island with just the two tracks so that helped). Made it down to a sandy cove on the west coast, the shivers were not from the brisk breeze. Showed myself up though travelling back across Mull as gave someone a lift and shrieked out "oh my god is that a stuffed deer" ... why would I expect to see a stuffed stag on the slopes of a Mull mountain? Anyhow, it was real and it was huge!

Then travelled back down the following day, sweeping along the shores of Loch Fyne. The light was just wonderful, the sun was out and it was one of those glorious crisp early Spring days :D Almost came a bit unstuck though, as the walking boots were great but possibly wasn't too sensible accessorising with tight knee-length skirt ... especially when trying to clamber over a barb-wire fence which was taller than my inside leg. I am however a resourceful woman and was able to position two upside-down buckets I found near by on either side of the fence, and with a bit of help from a beach-combed stave and a lot of determination .... and the exposure of an obscene amount of purple lycra-clad legs ... made it to the otherside.

Off to Pitlochry over Easter and think I may have to invest in a pair of trousers, although I do think I'm more of a Miss-Marple-tweedy-type :*:

And maybe I'll work out how to post the photos soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:16 pm 
Too much time on my hands

See, this is why I'm a jeans girl :wink:

I've never really had a proper look around Oban, only passed through, but I must go soon. Haven't done the islands, either. Loch Fyne is really beautiful, gorgeous sunsets.

Speaking of which, the North West is good for pretty lighting. I love places like Arisaig & Mallaig... Will try & dig out some pictures & post them. Glad you enjoyed yourself :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:01 pm 
Hawleytastic!

loch fyne is pretty good. inverary and the george inn is something else. if you liked that, get yourself up to ullapool and skye. that really will blow your socks off. i've been banging on to anybody that will listen (and lots that won't) about scotland for years. there's no finer place.
heaven 1 Image
stein inn on skye
heaven 2 Image
ceildh place ullapool. fabulous sunsets and beaches at both. the beach at arisaig is a beaut too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:10 pm 
Hawleytastic!

:cry: you're just showing off your snaps to make me feel bad about techno-crappiness :wink:

Would love to make the trip up to Ullapool but just a bit too remote to manage in a weekend, what with Scottish miles being five times longer than any other mile I've come across :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:16 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I spent a weekend in Oban-it never-not for a second stopped raining-the clock went backwards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:19 pm 
Hawleytastic!

catsandbooks wrote:
:cry: you're just showing off your snaps to make me feel bad about techno-crappiness :wink:

Would love to make the trip up to Ullapool but just a bit too remote to manage in a weekend, what with Scottish miles being five times longer than any other mile I've come across :*:

i wish! they're from t'interweb! i have got some belters though. i'll have to try and work it out meself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:20 am 
Hawleytastic!

I'd recommend visiting Skye too. The scenery and the feel of the island is just so beautiful. I spent a week there nine years ago and have always wanted to go back. Stayed in a crofter's cottage not far from Dunvegan looking out across the sea - on a clear day we could see across to the outer islands - fantastic!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:22 am 
Hawleytastic!

I love Scotland too. We visited Mull the last two years and went over to Iona both times.

I have a picture of the North Beach

West Beach Iona

We went over to Fingal's cave on our first visit - I loved it.

We are going again in June. I am really looking forward to it.

There are so many special places in Scotland.

I use http://tinypic.com/index.php for my pictures. If they are saved on your PC you can upload them, if you use a card reader you can upload from that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:17 pm 
Hawleytastic!

hissyt wrote:
I spent a weekend in Oban-it never-not for a second stopped raining-the clock went backwards

I did a week in October 98 - it were tougher than me five years in Long Lartin I'll tell yer...

Just kidding the sun shone all week and I loved it - mind you I aint been back yet...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:00 am 
Hawleytastic!

It was my beloved's 50th birthday last week, and one of my gifts to him was a surprise Easter weekend in a VW camper! He hadn't been camping since he was in the cubs, so it was a bit of a culture shock. We went to Loch Lomond and had a really fab weekend. Somehow we escaped the heavy snow and although it was cold, the 'rock and roll' bed was plenty warm enough. (yes, it's really called that!) Took the ipod, so what more can you ask for in the evening: RH playing, The Guardian and a few (!) glasses of red wine?

Our accomodation:

Ben Lomond from the Loch:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:59 pm 
Too much time on my hands

I absolutely love the camper, Prudence! & such a pretty view. Sounds like a good weekend!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:59 pm 
Regular poster

The place in Scotland people just have to go to is Inverary

The most peaceful place on earth.
Love Scotland.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:01 pm 
Hawleytastic!

ahhhh, the george inn, food, beer, ghosts, luxury, the memories come flooding back. great place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:29 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I'm feeling all Scottish today. Looking at my holiday pictures - we've got loads of nice ones from when we've been camping round the west coast. I'll see if I can work out how to make them a bit smaller and stick them on photobucket.

I was reading something on one of the other threads about the whole 'fish supper' vs 'fish and chips' thing... When I went into a chippy in Glasgow (I live just out of town) and asked for 'fish and chips' they asked if I wanted them wrapped seperately... That made me smile.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:05 pm 
Hawleytastic!

i went in our chippy and asked for fish and chips twice and the assistant said........ " i heard you the first time" (old joke sorry) :D

and then he told me there had been a fight in the chippy the previous night....... turns out 6 cod and 8 haddock got battered. :D

THATS ALL FOLKS!!