Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:30 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Well guys just got back from my roadtrip to the Southern States of America, thanks to advice and a few tips from here I had a great time.

Never been to the States before so this was a real adventure

Flew in to New York and spent the first 3 days there, this was great and we did all the touristy things, Empire State, Statue of Liberty etc etc.
Found the people very cold and a bit rude to be honest. Found a nice little Irish Bar in Hells Kitchen area.

Day 4 New York to Nashville - it was off to the airport to catch a flight to Nashville. Only spent one night here but in hindsight wish we had stayed a bit longer, the Country Music Hall of Fame was a highlight of my whole trip actually, this place is so well done and some great archives to look over and listen too.
Nashville was not what I expected, it was a lot smaller than I envisaged.

Day 5 Nashville to Memphis -it was the start of the driving, I hired a Mustang as my treat, nice but it was too hot to put the top down. Long boring drive to Memphis. I realy enjoyed Memphis we stayed there 3 nights and took some time to relax and take in the music on Beale Street, did all the usual places, Sun Studio, Gracelands, Peabody, it was very opportune that we were in town when one of my partners favourite acts were on and I had secretly booked to ticket - Alison Krauss and Union Station - Great gig and amazing set of musicians - Gerry Douglas was awesome. I cant get the song Constant Sorrow out of my head, went and downloaded the film too as I had not seen it.

Day 8 - Memphis to Clarksville (well Vicksburg actually) - well the Mississippi Delta was shining like a National Guitar! - this was the favourite part of the drive, we were on Highway 61 following the Blues Trail - it runs from Memphis to New Orleans. I was excited and very keen to see Clarksdale and the famous crossroads where Robert Johnson supposedly sold his soul to the devil, but when we got there it was a bit of a let down, pretty run down town and not much happening, popped into Morgan Freemans Ground Zero Blues Club (actually thought it was a derilict building) we pressed on down the delta to Vicksburg. Great drive and great scenery.

Day 9 Vicksburg - New Orleans - Nice drive again, took it easy stopped off at a few places, we had decided to base ourselves in New Orleans and travel around from there.
New Orleans is a great place, but a bit tacky in parts, cross between Benidorm and Blackpool, heard some great music in the bars and ate some great food.

From here we visited Layfayette, Baton Rouge, Henderson, Breaux Bridge. Real Cajun Country but not much happening as it was midweek

All in all a great trip, spent a fortune, but a great experience, will try and load some pictures, by the way we missed all the bad weather which was a result.

Highlights

Sun Studios - emotional for some strange reason
Drinking a Hurricaine Cocktail in some bizarre bar in the French quarter of New Orleans
Driving through the Delta
Country Music Hall of Fame

Whilst the music in the bars was good, nothing really jumped out at me, maybe we were just unlucky.