Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Glasgow...?
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:04 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Looks like I might end up in Glasgow on me own for a few days. What's there to do?

Been once before but that was all a bit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

I visited Glasgow all too briefly in 2005 - got the first train up, met my mates, went to the Kelvingrove Museum and Art Gallery, then to a park which had fossilised trees, back to King Tuts for a Cousteau gig, hotel, and early start back to London.

I recommend the gallery and the trees were good, there was a decent park there to walk around.

There's also all the Mackintosh stuff to look at, check if they have an information centre on line as there was a small brochure about the Mackintosh places to visit.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:41 pm 
Hawleytastic!

http://www.glasgowmuseums.com/

I visited the Transport Museum - sad bugger that I am - loads of old cars and motorbikes - plus some trams buses and trains...

I think its a bit out of town - actually it may be near the Kelvingrove - as there were some other impressive cultural looking buildings across the road...

It also has a fake underground station that has featured in some Camera Obscura promo photos...

I just like Glasgow - I can happily walk around the place and do nothing :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:03 am 
Hawleytastic!

The Transport Museum is near Kelvingrove, just across the road. Both well worth a look, if that's the sort of thing you're looking for.

It's hard to know what to recommend in your home city, really... Have you checked to see if there are going to be any decent gigs on?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:49 pm 
Hawleytastic!

http://www.walkingworld.com/results/wal ... wlkno=3878

I've saved this for my next visit.

Eek - just found they charge £17 fee...

Will just buy a map and walk by the Clyde / Kelvin...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:07 am 
Too much time on my hands

Mono on King's Court for Records, Stereo on Renfield Lane for drinking, lunch & possibly gigs, Stravaigan on Gibson St for dinner, second hand book and clothes shops on Great Western Rd, Byres Rd, Otago St, Sleazys on Sauchiehall St for White Russians & pissed popstars, Kelvingrove Park for rivers, Botanic Gardens for peace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:06 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Dawoodcock wrote:

I recommend the gallery and the trees were good, there was a decent park there to walk around.

There's also all the Mackintosh stuff to look at, check if they have an information centre on line as there was a small brochure about the Mackintosh places to visit.

The trees sound interesting. The galleries in glasgow come highly reccomended too.

Poppy Dog wrote:
http://www.walkingworld.com/results/walksummary.asp?method=thirdpartyid&wlkno=3878

Looks good, might put a day in to this- take in the gallery, gardens and museums and things

DisneyTime wrote:
It's hard to know what to recommend in your home city, really... Have you checked to see if there are going to be any decent gigs on?

I'll be heading to Kilmarnock on the saturday for one day of the festival, my friend lives there and she's the one I'm going to visit. Only thing is she may have to work at the last minute so I could be in town at a loose end for a few days. Oh, some band are playing called Camera Obscura or something...

carey wrote:
Mono on King's Court for Records, Stereo on Renfield Lane for drinking, lunch & possibly gigs, Stravaigan on Gibson St for dinner, second hand book and clothes shops on Great Western Rd, Byres Rd, Otago St, Sleazys on Sauchiehall St for White Russians & pissed popstars, Kelvingrove Park for rivers, Botanic Gardens for peace.

Cheers for that. Good ol' Mono. Probably just end up stuffin my face. Who might the 'pissed popstars' be eh?
:?

Thanks for all the pointers guys. Much appreciated ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:10 pm 
Hawleytastic!

edit

Last edited by Ida on Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:14 pm 
Hawleytastic!

It's a lovely place, been meaning to go back to visit my friend for over two years now. Was supposed to be going over to do some training with work but that fell through so I just decided to organise a hasty trip to see her. Hence the potential for disaster :P