Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:59 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Hawley wrote:
you baaaaasssstarrrrrrrrrds i am on the fuckin wagon aaaaaaaarggggggh :shaking:

Your straps are absolutely crap - you keep falling off! :roll: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

sorry to hear that but as the saying goes..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:15 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Richard Hawley wrote:

Can I nick that as a last line in a chorus...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:30 pm 
Flange cheese munching cockend

Richard Hawley wrote:

Tom the landlord of Fagans reels at the news that Hawley is on the wagon as takings fall by 90%! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:37 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Brilliant! :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:34 am 
Resident YouTube tech guru

Richard Hawley wrote:

:shock: For the good of your health? 8) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:03 am 
The Boss

fell off.........fuck it....tom.....barbara.......god and goddess.....as always

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:17 am 
Hawleytastic!

My favourite local place for a pint, is The New Inn in Clitheroe.

Always has a job lot of guest real ales on. Some really cheap. No jukebox, no 'background music', no bandit, no food. Before the ban, cigarettes were sold behind the bar. It just sells beer....and lots of it.

Has something very rare in day and age. A pub atmosphere. Every room has a lit fire in the winter.

The only music you hear, is live music in the backroom...and there is lots of that. Mainly acoustic stuff.

Every week alot of pubs close down. People wonder why that is and blame cheap sales in supermarkets. To some level that must be right. But if pubs started to remember what a pubs are meant to be. Then people might start going back again. ie It has an unique atmosphere. Don't knock all the walls through, don't turn into a part time restaurant, don't play shit loud music, karaoke e.t.c.

Do something really unusual. Just sell beer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:48 am 
The Boss

ha ha ha true to a point but if folk have four quid in their pocket and fancy a drink......supermarket....a zillion cans for £3.99.......pub.....one and a half pints for £4.01...........oh and you can't have a cig and have to put up with the above list of horrors...TV in a pub gives me the true horrors

England=pubs for me.....well..more of course but it is a basic part of our social life,but the powers that be won't be happy till its all gone.....fuckers one and all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:42 am 
I.....Need.....A.....Life

There is a lovely pub in the neighbouring village of Ludgvan...it's actually my favourite these days..it's called The White Hart.
It's really unspoilt,charming..with little dark velvet area's where you can 'hide' and chit-chat.There is a piano piled high with music sheets and lots of old photographs of the village..you can get a decent meal too...nothing poncey..proper food...liver & onions,and massive local sausages....
There is nothing on earth like a British pub,jesus..I couldn't bare to think of places like The White Hart being wiped out.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 11:14 am 
Hawleytastic!

Yeah, I love old pubs like you describe 'The White Hart'. With loads of small individual rooms. Quite rare in this day and age. Most pubs knocked most of the walls through over the years...to create a sort of barn atmosphere.

Like what I said above, I'm not against pubs at all having food, loud music e.t.c. It's just when you walk in the New Inn. It really hits you and is very noticable in a very pleasant way. It's more the 'pubs' blasting Ibiza dance music and has sky sports on with the volume turned down. I go past some of these places around 11 on a Friday night and they are empty.

Like what Richard was saying. Cheap alcohol will keep alot of people away who are skint. But I'm sure more people would return, if they had a bit more genuine atmosphere about them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 12:01 pm 

I love it when I have friends staying..particularly if they are from another country...and we all go up to the pub..........you feel kind of 'proud' to show them such a place...all the history,the beer............they lap it all up......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:17 pm 
Hawley Groupie

A wee tour of (some of) my favourite watering holes in the British Isles.

I'll start, like the original poster, in Dublin. No end of great booers, but one of my favourites is Mcdaids - a great old literary pub just off grafton street

Across Ireland to Galway, and I could pick any one of the pubs on quay street really, but Tig Coili sneaks it for great Guinness and live session music every day. Class.

Up to Belfast now and one of the architectural gems of this country - a cathedral for the working classes - The Crown Liquor Saloon

Across to northern scotland and one for film buffs - The pennan inn, from the wonderful "Local Hero" - you can even make a call from the phone box across the road

Glasgow is full of good traditional pubs of course, but one of my favourites is not a pub as such - The Rogano is a restuarant, but is also a bar and the whole plce is an art deco masterpiece. The decor was done at the same time and in the same style as the Queen Mary which was being fitted out on the Clyde a the time it opened.

For a more traditional Scottish pub, you could do worse than the Oxford Bar in Edinburgh - which also happens to be the haunt of both Inspector Rebus and his creator Ian Rankin.

Home territory now, and the wonder that is the Peveril of the Peak in manchestoh. Defiantly standing it's ground among the modern city dross

Down South to yer London, and for me the best pubs are those on the river. There's a few in the heart of the city, but there's nowt better than The City Barge between Kew and Hammersmith

Couldn't finish without a mention for the most chilled out watering hole of all - the Fraggle Rock on the island of Bryher in the Scilly Isles. It's as remote as you can get and there is truly nowhere better on a hot day with a old beer and a crab sandwich.

Right - after all that I need to go for a Guinness now....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:25 pm 

Oh yeah.....I have had some great nights in the Fraggle, and it's only a short stagger back up to the campsite........

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:52 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Looking at that photograph of the Peveril of the Peak make me want to pick up my camera and take some photos of it, because it is so photogenic....and then go inside.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next