Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Madrid
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:55 am 
Too much time on my hands

Got back from here yesterday. Whoever said about it being freezing was totally wrong - it was like British summertime!

Went mainly for the Cowparade, which was good fun and very popular with the Spanish. Also managed to catch a Francis Bacon exhibition and see some famous works of art.

It's has the widest roads i've seen. You take your life in your hands when crossing. The most bizarre thing was Atocha train station - it has a tropical garden with terrapins right in the middle!

It was lovely. Hoping to add some pics when i've resized them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:58 am 
Hawleytastic!

Glad you had a good time and really pleased the weather has improved over there. I froze in Mijas in January. Did you get to the Palacio Real? I love that place. How was the Cow Parade? Any pictures? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:02 am 

Very briefly. It was gorgeous. The Cow Parade was good quality and the Spanish seemed to love it. We had our work cut out to try and get pictures without some kids or people with cameras in the way. Which is good, as it means CP ia growing in popularity. And bad, as it makes it more difficult to get pics.

Post subject: Re: Madrid
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:27 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

boltonlass2 wrote:
Got back from here yesterday. Whoever said about it being freezing was totally wrong - it was like British summertime!

Went mainly for the Cowparade, which was good fun and very popular with the Spanish. Also managed to catch a Francis Bacon exhibition and see some famous works of art.

It's has the widest roads i've seen. You take your life in your hands when crossing. The most bizarre thing was Atocha train station - it has a tropical garden with terrapins right in the middle!

wish I'd I known you were such a big fan when they were on in manchester. I know the guy who arranged them all to be painted and they were all over the place in work for months! I'm sure I could have got you one for your garden! :wink: There are still a couple knocking about in town, if you get the tram out towards Salford/Altrincham you can see two or three on roof tops around Castlefield. The company have just done an endangered animals exhibitions too so now there are other animals all over the place. Like this baby Elephant!! :wink:

[imgImage[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:54 pm 

I got into them during the Manchester parade. It would have been cool to have one in the garden. :wink: I think you can buy versions, but they're pretty expensive. Of course, when i find myself a rich man, i'll be able to bid for one at auction. :wink:

Is that from Go Elephants in Norfolk? i am such an anorak :oops:

Post subject: Re: Madrid
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:12 pm 
Hawley Groupie

boltonlass2 wrote:

You've been lucky to enjoy those sunny days here;i live in Madrid.
Now you've gone and the more typical English weather is back,and i luv it aye?,hehe.Today it's cloudy and windy,not very cold thou,certainly i won't miss the freeze and the snow.

The Cowparade is nice,yeah,the problem is the poorly yobs who are vandalising them;the Atocha Train station deserves to be singled out i another post,maybe ;).

I wanted to see that Francis Bacon exhibition,it might be a good idea for Sunday evening.

It depends on the area,but all in all,i think Madrid is a lovely city.

"More haste less speed"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:57 pm 

Yeah, that is a problem at pretty much every cowparade (except Cowparade Monaco where you could get a whistle blown at you for standing on the grass!)

Still having to put links to photos as no matter what i do, the pics won't show (as usual.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

I've managed to make some of the pictures show (there was some unnecessary code there, all that is needed on either side of the url for the image (with no space after the ] is [img]then%20http://whateveritis.jpg[/img]

Some of the code had no closing ], some of the .jpg had .th.jpg - I removed the .th and the pictures appeared, and there was sometimes a ] directly after the .jpg which was preventing pix showing.

If all the pix are showing let me know and I'll delete the code that is currently showing.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:58 am 

Yeah, that's what i do, but sometimes it doesn't seem to highlight properly.

That's all the pics for now. Thanks, Denise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:50 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Spent a few days in Madrid last year - was lovely weather....a great football match.... some kind of rally for people riding bikes.....the push bike variety..... just one thing missing for me....a river.......always think a city without water....be it river, sea, lake.... lacks a bit of something....probably water..... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:22 pm 
Regular

Too right. Been here nearly 3 months and the lack of fresh air and space can get to you. Mind you, the Retiro park has a nice boating lake and plenty of trees and pathways.