Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:51 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:22 am 
Hawleytastic!

efsb wrote:
"See Naples and die" - that's what I thought too....not a pretty place.

How was it my husband phrased it?..... "Without the sun shining, it really would be the pits of hell".
Yip!
Pretty much!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:23 am 
Hawleytastic!

Yes, I had to keep tight hold of my bag in Naples while a gyspy woman tried to take if off me. :roll: I do love the South of Italy, I have family in Campania.

My favourite church in Rome is near Santa Maria Maggiore. http://www.sacred-destinations.com/ital ... assede.htm

It doesn't look much from the outside, but it has some wonderful Byzantine mosaics.

I love the fountains in Rome, particularly the one at the bottom of the Spanish Steps. I got told off last time I was there, I slipped off my sandals and the officious man must have thought I intended to paddle. :oops: He blew his whistle at me. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:28 am 
Hawleytastic!

Susie wrote:
the officious man

Another queuing delight we had was waiting to get in to see the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
All the guide books said we had many hours until closing.
.... Only, just as we neared the front, the guards decided it was closed!
Just like that! They just felt like it!
Nice! :*:
Never did get to see it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:39 am 
Hawleytastic!

Rita wrote:
Susie wrote:
the officious man

Another queuing delight we had was waiting to get in to see the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.
Never did get to see it.

That's Italians for you, a law unto themselves. :wink:

I went to the Sistine Chapel when I was far too young to appreciate it, all I remember is it being very dingy. There were some paintings on the walls I believe. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:40 am 
Hawleytastic!

Rita wrote:
efsb wrote:
"See Naples and die" - that's what I thought too....not a pretty place.

How was it my husband phrased it?..... "Without the sun shining, it really would be the pits of hell".
Yip!
Pretty much!

Both my experiences of naples were ... :roll: ... eventful. First time was driving back to the airport and missed the turn off, spent 45 minutes driving around Naples and the niece was shocked I knew so many swear words and could sustain five minutes of swearing whilst driving and bashing the steering wheel. Mad drivers. Dreadful road system.

Second time, we all picked up some viral infection. I ended up blacking out, banging my head on the radiator as I fell back (fortunately this brought me back to consciousness), crawled to the bath which I promptly pebble-dashed with projectile vomit, and spent the morning in the hospital whilst the male nurses stroked my hand and sang me songs and the Dr stitched up the two wounds in my head without the aid of painkillers. :pale: ... I must say the hospital care was fantastic though (but it was in Potenza not Naples).

So ... Naples, scary. Italian roads, mad. Drivers, as bad as me. Hospitals, damn-sight better care than I've received here. The Amalfi coast is spectacular though and well worth the trauma of flying into Naples.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:46 am 
Hawleytastic!

You are making me so 'homesick' I have never lived there but we visited nearly every year as my Dad worked for British Rail and we went free on the train.

It is 9 years since I visited the family, but I have been on holiday a few times without seeing them. I get a yearning to see the mountains there sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:57 am 
Hawleytastic!

catsandbooks wrote:
The Amalfi coast is spectacular though and well worth the trauma of flying into Naples.

Agreed.
That's brought back wonderful memories of an anniversary afternoon spent sipping cocktails and eating delicate pastries in Positano.
Ahhhhh...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:36 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Rita wrote:
Susie wrote:
the officious man

Never did get to see it.

The attitude to the Sistine chapel has changed over time -last time I went, a couple of years ago, there were men in reddish-purple jackets going "Shhhh" to everyone in there and stopping any photography. Back in the day, you could take whatever photos you wanted - on Flickr, loads of people seem to have managed it, but they seem to make it up as they go along.
During renovation in the mid-80s.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:13 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Rita wrote:
catsandbooks wrote:
The Amalfi coast is spectacular though and well worth the trauma of flying into Naples.

Agreed.
That's brought back wonderful memories of an anniversary afternoon spent sipping cocktails and eating delicate pastries in Positano.
Ahhhhh...

I have to agree with the pair of you, the memory of the drive around the Amalfi coast will stay with me forever. The boat trip along the coast was just as stunning too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:34 pm 
Hawleytastic!

I spent part of my honeymoon here. Beautiful place.

This is the Rome thread isn't it, not Chesterfield?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:40 am 
Hawleytastic!

Thanks for all the suggestions ... efbs, luckyman and beaux in particular. I love the fountains and piazzas too, so there'll be lots of meandering as well as a couple of galleries. I do love the space in the Pantheon, but haven't visited the sistine chapel. Pope Innocent X may get a look in :D The burne jones mosaics are on my 'list' too as is Shelley's grave (The Mask of Anarchy was something I used whenever I taught Peterloo Massacre).

Laughed over the 'artistic shots' of graffiti and chewing gum ... last time me and blokie went abroad he tried dragging me round the car factories and slums of Barcelona but he's already promised not to do that this time.

I have spotted potential for some serious sulking 'cos it has been noted that we'll be in Rome weekend of the Portsmouth v Liverpool game and he reckons we'll have to find a bar showing it ... I have no intention of having my weekend blighted by a smug liverpool fan gloating over pompey's humiliation ... So I'm going to get tickets for the Roma v Genoa game instead - the only Pompey that weekend will be Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus. :*:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:52 am 
Hawleytastic!

catsandbooks wrote:
I have spotted potential for some serious sulking 'cos it has been noted that we'll be in Rome weekend of the Portsmouth v Liverpool game and he reckons we'll have to find a bar showing it ... I have no intention of having my weekend blighted by a smug liverpool fan gloating over pompey's humiliation ... So I'm going to get tickets for the Roma v Genoa game instead -

When in Rome do as .... :*: (well at least the soccer* will be better !)

*not being a football fan I use the word for effect

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:58 am 
Hawleytastic!

luckyman wrote:
When in Rome do as .... :*: (well at least the soccer* will be better !)

*not being a football fan I use the word for effect

No Totti though :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:34 am 
Hawleytastic!

I'd make a point of going here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cerasi_Chapel It's probably not on every tourists hit list and may be less mobbed than other places .The experience would be assured to be both intimate and moving .The two Caravaggio's contrast with the work by Carracci .Tried to post links to the two paintings , but you'll find them on the above link and all the info .

:wink:

'No Totti ' means not small where I come from (no wee) ...Is he a player ? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:12 am 
Hawleytastic!

catsandbooks wrote:
last time me and blokie went abroad he tried dragging me round the car factories and slums of Barcelona but he's already promised not to do that this time.

It's a male affliction- went to Turin eight [eeek] years ago - got a bit leathered in an Irish bar [surprise] - boarded a circular route tram [ to sober up] - and inadvertantly had an hour trip out of the city to and through the Fiat factory [it goes on forever] - with a sober Samantha by my side - she quite liked it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next