Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:20 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:10 pm 

Hudsons in Chesterfield is still pretty good. Before my regular manc trips my mum would take me to buxton and they had a record shop called Goddards - old mrs goddard seemed about 90 then but apparently she was still alive a year ago so i guess she was a bit younger. The shops still there - it started as a sheet music shop and sold some classical and easy listening and those weird old top of the pops records. I used to get her to order me t rex, argent (the first record i bought.....well after the new seekers....) and the sweet. Later she'd get me punk stuff and managed to get me the whole Obscure Records catalogue which was quite a feat. Its still there and has some of the same window dressings from 30 years ago - literally. It opens occasionally but at no set times or days.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:57 pm 
Regular

spt wrote:
. Any Nottingham folk remember the following (are any still there)?

Revolver - just outside Broadmarsh on the oppostie side from HMV - I remember buying many Queen cassettes

Pendulum - in the Viccy market - lots of Sisters of Mercy 12"s and psychobilly comps.

Arcade Records - in West End Arcade good for nasty alternative stuff, there was another, second-hand place there too which was very good.

Way Ahead - before being a ticket agency it was a metal shop - much Metallica, Krator, Sabbat, bought there.

Selectadisc is still the best but it was on Bridlesmith Gate when I was buying Cure albums and Jesus and Mary chain cassettes.

Ahh, the second-hand stuff upstairs at selectadisc, above the tailor's. I've still got one of the yellow plastic bags with the squiggle design; (and most of the records). There was a small place down Hockley too; can't remember what that was called though. Revolver had all sorts of strange imports and picture discs. eee..... . There was a place down one of the Edwardian alleyways off parliament street, had stacks of 60's singles in white paper bags. Can't remember what that was called either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:16 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

spt wrote:
For the Manchester crew - I also remember the rather lovely King Bee records in Chorlton. Mrs SPT worked int he toyshop next door for a bit. Dunno if it's still there...

Yeah, remember it well. Foolishly sold virtually my complete collection of vinyl there in the late 80's before moving to Lancaster for a while. Still regret it now but I was young and foolish and skint! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:13 am 
Hawleytastic!

Last edited by netheredge on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:19 am 
Regular

King Bee had the strange novelty of the heavy metal guy from the BBC's Living Soap sometimes working behind the counter. Young Ones' Neil-like in his countenance I always wanted him to be the cliche secondhand record shop surly hippy who found no value in any trade-in. But he wasn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:21 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

netheredge wrote:
That's a brilliant record shop. I don't know if it still there.

I spent a small fortune there in the 90's. At the time in the 90's, for me it was the best second hand shop in Manchester and also very reasonably priced. Really rare stuff, I had been after for ages at rock bottom prices and loads and loads of it.

yeah, probably all the stuff I had to sell in the late 80's! Rub it in why don't you! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:24 am 
Regular

Er, removed for discretion. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:03 am 
Regular poster

I grew up in Oxford and Sunshine Records was the place to go before the likes of Our Price and later HMV/Virgin moved in and finished them off. Also the music shops Russell Acotts and Taphouses had great record sections, the latter having a row of listening booths.

Moving west to Bristol I used to love Revolver on The Triangle (great reggae section) and Rival Records on Park Street.

Now in south Wales the fabulous Spillers on The Hayes, Cardiff is still holding its own against the internet and surrounding redevelopment. The only record shop that still gives me that buzz of what might I find that I haven't been able to get elsewhere (although it is possible to get most things on the internet these days).

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:28 am 
I need a life

Poo Bah Record Shop in Pasadena, California. Fuck me, it's still there! The shop has moved, but they're still around...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/poo-bah-record-shop-pasadena

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:13 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Noooooooooooooooo!!!

Was in Nottingham for a work event today. Passed Selectadisc. It's closing down.There were 3 of us just stood there at 8am gazing at the notice.

A little piece of me just died. People of Nottingham, how could you? That's the best of the lot gone.The rest can't be far behind.

*shakes fist at the sky*

http://www.soundsxp.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:35 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

spt wrote:
Noooooooooooooooo!!!

Was in Nottingham for a work event today. Passed Selectadisc. It's closing down.There were 3 of us just stood there at 8am gazing at the notice.

A little piece of me just died. People of Nottingham, how could you? That's the best of the lot gone.The rest can't be far behind.

*shakes fist at the sky*

:shock: :shock: :shock: I'm not from nottingham but i know how great selectadisc is, i have bought some brilliant records from them over the years. I never understood why it had such surly, unhelpful staff, but it is/was a truly great record store which i'm sure many of us will miss. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:07 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Sad to hear about Selectadisc, spent hours in that shop looking at what I couldn't afford and picking up loads of great bargains. Got my vinyl of Image from there dirt cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:19 pm 
Too much time on my hands

I've just had a scan through this thread and I'm amazed that Violet May's hasn't had a mention ... unless I'm going blind, but I did say I scanned it 8).

I used to have a set route when I came into Sheffield. Off the bus at the Haymarket and into Revolution Records. On past HMV and Virgin. I have forgotten the name of the brilliant shop that was opposite Coles, it seemed to go on for ever, and usually contained Phil Oakey. After that it was up to Violet Mays. I never bought anything on the way up, I just decided what I was going to buy and then got it on the way back to the Markets and the bus home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:18 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Just recalled another I used to frequent in Chesterfield, around 1980. I think it was called 'Some Kinda Mushroom'. IIRC, it was a small two storey building down near the old picture house. Is was great for sourcing rarities, and had an excellent collection of bootlegs - probably why it doesn't exist anymore :)

Cheers, Steve.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:27 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

hmm, wonder when it closed - i don't remember it. Probably in the 80s, i should think.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next