Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:28 am 
Waitrose Warrior

luckyman wrote:
have you heard this one Richard ? (with your nautical interests and all..):

i remember vividly when i first heard it, it was on the radio 3 in my caravan outside of tewksbury on a rainy afternoon in 2001 :shock: :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:20 am 
Hawley Groupie

Luke M wrote:
luckyman wrote:
2001 :shock: :D

Wow 2001 sounds like it is still someplace in the future...

I'll grind his bones to make my bread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:19 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

more the fact that i can remember exactly where i was when i first heard a piece of music which doesn't happen all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:46 pm 
Hawley Groupie

I think I'm still living in the past...can't believe next year is 2009, then we'll get 2010....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:51 pm 
Waitrose Warrior

the last ten years really has gone incredibly quickly :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:01 pm 
Site Admin

I remember 1999 - I work in IT and at that stage was dealing with pay rates. They went sky high because everyone thought that anything involving computers would grind to a halt with the milllenium. A lot of our top bods were leaving for really good pay rates with other companies and we had to plan rotas for the time around the turn of the century.

Nothing happened of course, and a lot of those top bods are now back with us on much lower salaries, and all of IT seem to have had their pay curtailed a little since.

https://www.facebook.com/LiamMcKaheyandtheBodies
https://cousteaux.com/music

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:05 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Luke M wrote:

I heear ya on that one. (but they do say time flies when you're having fun?)

Last edited by Fee Fi Fo Fum on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:12 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Luke M wrote:

the last 150 years, if you ask me

http://soundcloud.com/the-sellers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:19 pm 
Hawley Groupie

Ignatz Wrobel wrote:
the last 150 years, if you ask me

hahahahaaa...true

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:24 pm 
Hawleytastic!

When I was at (convent :roll: ) school, as we filed in and out of assembly each day, there would be a piece of classical music playing and the name of the piece and its composer would be displayed on a stand on the stage.

Obviously in our teens, we were never particularly interested :roll: However, many years later, I really appreciate the almost subliminal knowledge of classical music that I gained in this way and now recognise many fairly obscure pieces ........ I suppose six years of brainwashing pays dividends at some point!

My favourites are Grieg's 'Peer Gynt' and Holst's 'Planets'

Not quite classical (but based on manuscripts of poems found in the early 1800's), I also love Carl Orff's 'Carmina Burana' cantata.

In fact, this has inspired me have a cultural day!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:51 am 
Hawleytastic!

luckyman wrote:
I don't like the tag 'classical' because most of the stuff I listen to is un-classical , I prefer the word 'orchestral' .'Classical' as a word is like pigeonholing under 'pop' all things from Bucks Fizz to Joy Division - labels of any kind are never a good idea.

Anyway the composer who means the most to me is Mahler .He wrote the most emotionally charged music ever written and listening to him is like exploring a vast ocean or the universe - pop/rock or what you call it , no matter how good it is, is like dipping your toes in a bucket of water in comparison .

I agree that the term 'Classical' doesn't really cover the wide spectrum of music labeled as 'Classical'. It covers so many types: orchestral, solo, opera, ballet music, film scores and more besides. I think you do need a label to some extent to distiguish between the types of music or it would be too vague.

Jan H wrote:
When I was at (convent :roll: ) school, as we filed in and out of assembly each day, there would be a piece of classical music playing and the name of the piece and its composer would be displayed on a stand on the stage.

Obviously in our teens, we were never particularly interested :roll: However, many years later, I really appreciate the almost subliminal knowledge of classical music that I gained in this way and now recognise many fairly obscure pieces ........ I suppose six years of brainwashing pays dividends at some point!

My favourites are Grieg's 'Peer Gynt' and Holst's 'Planets'

Not quite classical (but based on manuscripts of poems found in the early 1800's), I also love Carl Orff's 'Carmina Burana' cantata.

In fact, this has inspired me have a cultural day!

Jan, you are lucky if you can remember the name of the piece and its composer, I struggle with that. I feel I ought to know it sometimes but there is not a lot to go on. I saw an advert the other day, I think Fingal's Cave was used, but I'm not sure.

I also love Peer Gynt, The Planets and Carmina Burana.

I love Vaughan Williams music too. I studied his Serenade to Music at school, it is so beautiful. There are a few clips here, conducted by Leonard Bernstein.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/recsradio/radi ... fix=dp_img

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:18 am 
Waitrose Warrior

cheers susie,

Bernstein was not well known for his interpretations of Vaughan Williams but his versions of the fourth symphony (nice and loud!) and the tallis fantasia (musical heaven) are second to none.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:20 am 
Waitrose Warrior

Susie wrote:
I agree that the term 'Classical' doesn't really cover the wide spectrum of music labeled as 'Classical'. It covers so many types: orchestral, solo, opera, ballet music, film scores and more besides. I think you do need a label to some extent to distiguish between the types of music or it would be too vague.

the term "classical" does not refer to the genre of music (ie opera, solo, etc etc) but to the period it was composed in. Therefore, the easiest way to define these kinds of music are the Baroque, Classical, Romantic, 20th century, and modern music.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:45 am 
Too much time on my hands

In my late teens I'd put Mendhelsson (can never spell that man's name) or Mozart or Brahms on and write copious amounts of surrealistic fiction (my genre). I actually still prefer to write to ochestral/classical music and frequently turn the radio to our classcal fm station for a break from whatever stimulus is irritating me or in a really bad traffic jam. I quite enjoy a weekend morning listening to it while straightening the house up a bit before starting my day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:41 am 
Hawleytastic!

Luke M wrote:
Susie wrote:

the term "classical" does not refer to the genre of music (ie opera, solo, etc etc) but to the period it was composed in. Therefore, the easiest way to define these kinds of music are the Baroque, Classical, Romantic, 20th century, and modern music.

I know what you mean, but I don't think those categories are known to a lot of people. The labelling does get a bit complicated. I like Romantic Orchestral music and love a bit of Baroque. Handel's music is still fresh centuries after he wrote it.