Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:54 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Just wondered if anybody has been watching this? those of you with a social life will probably have missed it, its on Saturday night on BBC2 .. I just caught the last half hour the other week and ended up watching it all again on iplayer from the beginning...
Basically Goldie (him of drum n bass fame ) set himself the task of scouring the country for 12 young musicians to make up a band that represents the yoof of Britain... they come from all sorts of ethnic/cultural backgrounds but the one thing they have in common is astonishing musical talent in all sorts of areas - the sitar, classical music, singing/songwrighting, beatbox , guitar etc but also they all seem to have experienced really tough, challenging upbringings and have used music as a way of dealing with the hardship in their lives. When you see some of the talent he unearths you realise just how shallow and meaningless things like the X Factor and BGT really are... some of these musicians are unbelievably brilliant and they all have stories to tell. I won't say too much in case you watch it and I hope some of you do, its really interesting and if you like your music (as we all do ) its an insight into the creative process - for someone like me, who loves music but isn't musical or creative I found it fascinating and moving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:21 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Haven't seen it all the way through - just caught one or two - but I watched the final performance tonight and thought it was fantastic. Really inspirational and very moving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:23 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Thanks FPL .. thought nobody was out there !! I was moved to tears a couple of times during that last performance.. Goldie was so proud of his band too, it was lovely to see how they all shone on the night .. I wonder what will become of them all now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:48 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I watched the series he made last year about writing a musical score for an orchestra, and it surprised me how good he was as it seemed such a huge task to undertake for someone who couldn't read music. I haven't seen this series but will look it up on the iplayer.