Richard Hawley

Richard Hawley Forum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: London Film Festival
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:46 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Anybody else been to see anything? Planning to go?

I saw an interesting film called The Arbor on Thursday - about the playwright Andrea Dunbar who lived on the Buttershaw Estate in Bradford. People might remember her for writing 'Rita, Sue and Bob too' as well as The Arbor which was performed at the Royal Court Theatre. Unusual technique where the actors actually lip-synched to the words of real people who'd known Andrea (family and friends). Well worth seeing.

Last night I watched the Ballad of Mott the Hoople which was also really entertaining - included interviews with Ian Hunter and all the band members (and roadies!) - some very funny moments. Guess it will be shown on BBC 4 at some point in the future. I saw it in the Studio at BFI which holds 34 people - couldn't believe it when I ended up sitting next to someone from Sheffield!

Post subject: Re: London Film Festival
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:56 pm 
Hawleytastic!

former pink lady wrote:
Last night I watched the Ballad of Mott the Hoople which was also really entertaining - included interviews with Ian Hunter and all the band members (and roadies!) - some very funny moments. Guess it will be shown on BBC 4 at some point in the future. I saw it in the Studio at BFI which holds 34 people - couldn't believe it when I ended up sitting next to someone from Sheffield!

I wanted to see that!

I've read some reviews of the screening on the Ian Hunter website.

Could be the guy from Sheffield was hairy 'Kev'...

I hope it comes to one of the little arty cinemas in Mancland or Scousville.

If not I reckon one of the North West hooplers will buy the DVD and hold a house party with a screening on a wack off mega TV set.

Further review as taken from Mick Boltons website:

What a great night last night. Mike Kerry and Chris Hall have done a great job in documenting the history of the band from the early days in 1969 to the end in 1974. There are extended interviews with all but one of the band members. The music came across as being incredibly powerful. I found myself sitting next to Luther Grosvenor - or Ariel Bender as he was known when he was with Mott. He kept nudging me and saying 'this is great isn't it', and shouting comments to Ian Hunter who was in the row behind us. Most of the musicians who played with Mott were there - Ian Hunter, Mick Ralphs, Verden Allen, Blue Weaver, Luther and myself - as well as Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:49 pm 
Hawley Super-Groupie

I'm going to the Experimenta strand at the BFI over the weekend which promises to be interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:14 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Quote:
Poppy Dog wrote:

I found myself sitting next to Luther Grosvenor - or Ariel Bender as he was known when he was with Mott. He kept nudging me and saying 'this is great isn't it', and shouting comments to Ian Hunter who was in the row behind us. Most of the musicians who played with Mott were there - Ian Hunter, Mick Ralphs, Verden Allen, Blue Weaver, Luther and myself - as well as Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page.

Bloody hell ... when I read that I thought I'd actually been in the same cinema as Jimmy Page and Ian Hunter without knowing it!! Just checked John's website and they were all at the Saturday night screening but I went to last night's screening .. feeling a tad disappointed but not as bad as if they'd all been sitting behind me last night!!

I'm off to see 'Upside Down - the Creation Records Story' on Saturday night ... I shall have my eyes peeled 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:09 am 
Hawleytastic!

Well I went to see the Creation Records Story tonight and can highly recommend it. Really entertaining - covered all the stuff I expected .. Oasis, Primal Scream, Jesus and Mary Chain, Super Furry Animals, Teenage Fanclub, My Bloody Valentine etc, but what I didn't expect was the humour and honesty and ... perhaps the British eccentricity. Great film, if you get a chance to see it, it's worth it!

Post subject: Re: London Film Festival
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:42 pm 
Regular poster

former pink lady wrote:
Anybody else been to see anything? Planning to go?

I saw an interesting film called The Arbor on Thursday - about the playwright Andrea Dunbar who lived on the Buttershaw Estate in Bradford. People might remember her for writing 'Rita, Sue and Bob too' as well as The Arbor which was performed at the Royal Court Theatre. Unusual technique where the actors actually lip-synched to the words of real people who'd known Andrea (family and friends). Well worth seeing.

I'm definitely planning on going to see The Arbor, I'm not sure if it will end up coming here to the sticks, so I might have to go to London to see it.

What did you think of the film?

I have to admit that Rita, Sue and Bob Too will always have a special place in my heart. I loved the film when I saw it in the 80's and rewatching it again recently just reaffirmed that love for me. I know that its totally politically uncorrect and (I share non of the racist views in reality) unlikely to have been made nowdays, but I still think its a classic.

I knew at the time of the original film, that the residents of the Buttershaw Estate were unhappy with their portrayal, but I didn't know until hearing about this new film, of Andrea Dunbar's early death and the tragedy surrounding her daughter and her son.

I would also be interested in seeing the Creation Records Story too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:00 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Quote:
Helenaka wrote:

I'm definitely planning on going to see The Arbor, I'm not sure if it will end up coming here to the sticks, so I might have to go to London to see it.

What did you think of the film?

I really enjoyed the film (although perhaps 'enjoy' isn't quite the right word given the circumstances of Andrea's life and her family). I knew very little about her before I saw the film - I went more out of curiosity, I suppose, because when I was growing up I knew people who lived on the estate (before Andrea's time). I was really intrigued as to how a working class lass from Buttershaw actually got to have her plays staged in London. After the film had finished there was a short Q & A session with some of the actors and the producer and director of the film. The girl who plays Andrea in the film is actually from Buttershaw herself and attended the local school there. Some of the other actors and family members were in the audience too. Well worth seeing though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:07 pm 
Regular poster

former pink lady wrote:

I really enjoyed the film (although perhaps 'enjoy' isn't quite the right word given the circumstances of Andrea's life and her family). I knew very little about her before I saw the film - I went more out of curiosity, I suppose, because when I was growing up I knew people who lived on the estate (before Andrea's time). I was really intrigued as to how a working class lass from Buttershaw actually got to have her plays staged in London. After the film had finished there was a short Q & A session with some of the actors and the producer and director of the film. The girl who plays Andrea in the film is actually from Buttershaw herself and attended the local school there. Some of the other actors and family members were in the audience too. Well worth seeing though.

Thanks for coming back to me on this. :)

I've had a look around and the nearest its playing to me is Cambridge, so I reckon I'm gonna go and see it there.

I didn't know much about her life either, prior to reading the reviews for this film.

I'm curious as well to find out a bit more about how she was discovered and just more about her life in general. I was pretty shocked to read just how young she was when she wrote her plays. I'm also curious to see how the whole lip synching thing works as well. Did that part work in your opinion?

I know what you mean about the "enjoyment" factor of the film, I just think it will be really interesting viewing. As I said above, I'll always have a soft spot for that play, so it seems a great opportunity to find out the story behind it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:13 am 
Hawley Super-Groupie

Just come back from the second and last day of Experimenta weekend which was fab. Highlights included films from Lewis Klahr's ongoing Prolix Satori series and a live realtime animation from Daniel Barrows which employed an old school overhead projector and a series of graphic acetates, which was very different to the usual projection images.

Two drawbacks. One of the programmes had some beautiful, contemplative silent films, but unfortunately produced a somewhat soporific effect on me and I found myself drifting off once or twice. Also the seats in NFT3 aren't the most comfortable if sitting for a long time I found myself concertina'd once or twice. My right leg really hurts.

It was worth it though cos I got to talk to the curator....3 guesses who! 8) and for the first time since I first met him in 1998 he addressed me by my first name. I still feel fizzy inside. Poor love. He's coming down with a cold and yet he still pulled off a fantastic weekend. Bless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:08 pm 
Hawleytastic!

Quote:
Helenaka wrote

I'm curious as well to find out a bit more about how she was discovered and just more about her life in general. I was pretty shocked to read just how young she was when she wrote her plays. I'm also curious to see how the whole lip synching thing works as well. Did that part work in your opinion?

Yes, although it was a bit odd at first it actually worked really well and added another 'layer' to the film (if that makes sense?) . The actors did really well to make it work as well as they did. I hope you get to see the film - I'm sure you'll think it worth the journey. I'd be interested to hear what you think of it.

I think they had a special screening in Bradford with a panel Q & A last weekend - or it may be this weekend coming.